Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Bug Hunt Computer related problems
Virus warnings - Technical help.

Old Dec 26th, 12, 01:06 PM

Question A\V question...

(no help on the LG or Sony sites)

Got a new flat screen TV, so I had to replace the entertainment system as well. The old one crapped out.
The TV is an LG and the ent. system is a Sony BlueRay with FM because the wife wanted to be able to still listen to the radio.

The system is 1000W and rocks the joint if listening to a DVD or the radio. The problem is the TV is barely audible when the ent. system volume is maxxed out. The TV volume alone is louder.
I've got the TV and the ent. system connected with an audio optical cable, and HDMI cable.

Throw an older DVR in the mix and I think that's where my issue lies. The DVR doesn't have true HDMI... it's component HDMI. So the TV see's the cable box as a 'Component'... not a TV or an HDMI device.
I have to set the TV input as Component to watch TV, which I think throws off the input to the ent. system. If I select the TV input as TV, I get snow because it's not seeing the cable box anymore and if the ent. system is on it's LOUD as hell, so I know the ent. system and TV are connected correctly. The ent. system expects the TV input to be TV.

I can do away with the component HDMI between the DVR and TV, but the picture looks like crapola.

The ent. system can be changed between TV and Audio and I do get sound out with either setting. Just very low.

I figured with the TOSLink cable connected I could watch Overhaulin' loud enough to rattle the windows.

What do you all think? Should I bother swapping DVR's with one that has true HDMI ports?

STREET MACHINES OF ROCHESTER

SEMA ACTION NETWORK

UNITED SERVICES ORGANIZATION (USO)

Last edited by HwyStarJoe; Dec 26th, 12 at 01:27 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 26th, 12, 01:30 PM
Senior Tech

Alan

Default Re: A\V question...

Something sounds wrong. Component input should be just as loud as hdmi. Bad cables? Or a partial mute setting on the tv or stereo? Any way to go hdmi from the tv to the stereo bypassing the dvr?

alan
Old Dec 26th, 12, 01:34 PM

I know my issue was the speaker settings on TV.... has a setting for external speakers
7.132 @ 94.43 660'
11.327 @ 116.79.
*NEW: Custom built 5000 stall just added....un-tested, yet
RedЯum <-Pics
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of8WV...ature=youtu.be <~More here
Old Dec 26th, 12, 01:51 PM

<Jake 68's Rule

I use the TV as a monitor, send video from DVR to TV directly, and select TV AUX input for picture input for the source of video, and send DVR audio to ent syst, select DVR input for sound, turn TV speakers off or down. Use ent syst varible audio.

When I don't use ent syst audio, I use Sony BluRay to TV w/HDMI cable and use TV input selection and TV volume. The DVR audio out is lower then TV volume channel, Tv channel is 20, DVR volume at TV is is set to 45. I have to remember when selecting cable input, I must turn down TV volume. I don't use ent syst for TV audio when watching cable TV.

It is a pain, especially to remember how to use...
Old Dec 26th, 12, 01:53 PM

Well... there-in lies the problem. The DVR had to be setup for HD. Of course the users guide has instructions that in NO WAY work properly. Press this button while pressing this button, wait 5 seconds till the light blinks...blah blah blah.
It didn't work so I spent a couple hours sitting in front of it pressing different combinations of buttons until I made 'something' happen.

I don't know what I did, but I lost both picture AND sound. So I played some more and realized I didn't have the DVR to TV connected as HDMI. I connected the component cables up and Wa La, picture and sound in HD. I couldn't go back to SD even if I wanted to now.

I took the TOSLink cable away from the ent. system and connected it between the DVR and the TV instead, then regular RCA connections between the DVR and the ent. system, and now I can only get sound if the ent. system is on and set to Audio. And it's not loud at all. I get no sound from the TV now.
Everything has it's volume maxxed out and it's not as loud a a 1000W system should be. My old crappy system that I replaced was way louder and it was only 300W. We'd put a music cable channel on and rock out.

I'll keep playing.

SEMA ACTION NETWORK

Old Dec 26th, 12, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
I use the TV as a monitor, send video from DVR to TV directly, and select TV AUX input for picture input for the source of video, and send DVR audio to ent syst, select DVR input for sound, turn TV speakers off or down. Use ent syst varible audio.

When I don't use ent syst audio, I use Sony BluRay to TV w/HDMI cable and use TV input selection and TV volume. The DVR audio out is lower then TV volume channel, Tv channel is 20, DVR volume at TV is is set to 45. I have to remember when selecting cable input, I must turn down TV volume. I don't use ent syst for TV audio when watching cable TV.

It is a pain, especially to remember how to use...
That's exactly how the system WAS setup until yesterday when the old TV and ent. system went away. It worked great that way. But the TV was always muted and the ent. system was always on when the TV was on.

I think I'm just going to exchange the DVR and then see what happens.

SEMA ACTION NETWORK

Old Dec 26th, 12, 03:28 PM
Senior Tech

Steiner

Here's how mine is connected with no problem. Everything is pretty old....I don't even have Blu-Ray

TV
Uverse box/DVR
DVD changer
Sound system

Uverse box to TV via HDMI cable.
TV digital output to sound system via single digital audio cable on Video 2 input.

DVD to TV via component cable (audio and video both connected).
DVD digital output to sound system via single digital audio cable on DVD/6ch input.

DVD audio will play with sound system set to Video 2 (since it's going to the TV and then coming back) or DVD/6ch. Sounds about the same except of course the surround is automatically detected on DVD/6ch and some extra sound settings are available, Video 2 is not the same since it's analog to the TV and then digital back so the source is not really digital.

There is a line input adjustment on mine for setting the gain. Yours may have one as well.
538 lb-ft - 500 hp
www.cmengines.com
'69 Camaro X44 Beater - SFT 327 - M20 - Moser 4.10
'02 Z/28 vert - stock
Old Dec 26th, 12, 04:14 PM
Retired

Dennis

Without seeing your equipment I'm not sure what to suggest other than share my setup...

Equipment List:
TV
Cable DVR
Receiver
Blue-Ray Player

Coax into -->Cable Box;

Cable Box -->HDMI out to TV (HDMI-1 in),
Cable Box -->Fiber Optic out to Receiver (Optic-1 in)

Blue-Ray -->HDMI out to TV (HDMI-2 in),
Blue-Ray -->Fiber Optic out to Receiver (Optic-2 in)

TV audio is set to "external speakers", TV volume control has no effect. TV toggles between HDMI-1&2 and Receiver toggles between Optic-1, Optic-2, Radio and any other audio devices attached.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
Old Dec 26th, 12, 04:36 PM

Oh no... don't throw a receiver in the mix!
I thought about that.

I tried mine setup like you have yours, minus the receiver in the middle. Didn't help.
Here are the back panels as they are now. I know you need the setup variables from the three boxes, but there aren't as extensive options in them as I'd like. And their web sites and setup guides don't help at all. I still think my whole issue is the DVR. Unless of course the TV is the weak link.

The first 3 RCA jacks on the TV are the HDMI inputs (Y, Pb, Pr). The next 2 are the audio from the DVR. The optical and HDMI cables are between the Blu-Ray and the TV. That blue coax isn't connected to anything.

New wrinkle... if the DVR is on but I put a DVD in and select HDMI 1 on the TV and BD\DVD on the player, the audio from the DVR (TV show) is as loud as I want to make it. Can't see the picture obviously.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pc260246.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	31477   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pc260247.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	31478   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pc260248.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	31479  

SEMA ACTION NETWORK

Last edited by HwyStarJoe; Dec 26th, 12 at 05:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Team Camaro Tech > Team Camaro > Bug Hunt      Current Topic: A\V question...
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.