Need Advice from Camaro Experts - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro
 Ground Up Restorations

Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Second Generation 1970-1981

Old Dec 30th, 12, 01:44 PM

Default Need Advice from Camaro Experts

A house that I pass everyday to work has a 1975 Camaro sitting in his front yard and has been there for years. Well I have been wanting to restore one because my mom use to have a 1978 camaro as her first car and she loved that car. My question for you Camaro guys is are the 1978 and the 1975 relatively similar cars? This car is in rough shape so I might not restore this one but it would make a great parts car and I just want to make sure the parts are interchangeable before I get it. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 30th, 12, 07:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Default Re: Need Advice from Camaro Experts

Welcome to the site. Your question may be answered better in the second gen section of the site. The link is below. If the second gens are like the first gens the answer would be that very little from a 75 will fit on a 78. Just checking the yahoo image sections for 75 and 78 you can see subtle differences both front and back. You can bet the interiors and dashboards are completely different. Mechanically they may be more the same but that would be a crap-shoot.
If you go to a site like Classic Industries http://www.classicindustries.com/ you can look up any parts you may be thinking about replacing and it will tell you if that part will fit both years or just the one.

Roger
http://www.camaros.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58

http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...lw&fr2=piv-web

http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...lw&fr2=piv-web
Old Dec 31st, 12, 07:23 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Jeff

74 to 77 are what I call "big bumper cars" as they have chrome 5MPH crash bumpers on them. 78 to 81 I call rubber bumper cars. I would expect some differences in those areas(around bumpers) between the two years in the sheet metal and frames. The back window shape changed in 75 and continued until 81 so you're good on that.

jeff
Old Dec 31st, 12, 07:53 AM
Senior Tech

Scott

74-77 bumpers were anodized aluminum, not chrome.
Old Dec 31st, 12, 01:01 PM
Senior Tech

Chris

Cars are basically the same.Rear window changed after 74,fenders are different(70-77 fenders the same).Front windows are the same,hoods are basically the same,just understructure changes(and the z28 hoods),but theyll all bolt on and fit.Things start going metric on them after????77 or78.A quick search on front calipers is a good indicator.When the switch happens,its the metric banjo bolt.
Old Jan 3rd, 13, 05:38 PM
Team Member

Ty

I have a 76 that I converted the front end to a 70. 74 is sort of all by itself as it has the flat rear window like the 70-73 but it has aluminum bumpers. Other that that, 74-77 are the same. I only point this out as I would have much rather had a 77-78 2nd gen.

I tucked in my rear bumper and will be getting it powder coated to match the paint.

Anyway, I say buy the 2nd gen. They are fun cars.

Old Jan 3rd, 13, 06:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Andrew

Hey Ty, I have to say that tucked in rear bumper really improves the appearance of the rear. I used to have a '75 Camaro and never could get over those big ol' honkin bumpers.
Member # 159
Old Jan 10th, 13, 07:33 PM
Team Member

Ty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew69 View Post
Hey Ty, I have to say that tucked in rear bumper really improves the appearance of the rear. I used to have a '75 Camaro and never could get over those big ol' honkin bumpers.
Thanks Andrew. I took the bumper off to have it powder coated to match the paint. I hope to get it back next Monday. Cant wait to see what it will look like.
Old Jan 16th, 13, 10:22 AM
Senior Tech

Rich

The doors,trunk lids,hoods and glass all interchange. The interiors interchange,78 was the last year they used the 1970 style dash(I think). The subframes changed in 75 and were basically the same thru 81,as is pretty much the entire undercarrage. There were slight differences as the years went on,eventually I think they went to metric brakes,the steering column and shafts changed which forced you to used the steering box from the column that you were using. Some things like the interior cosmetically changed,but the parts physically swapped. Even the later cars with the big squared dash can accept the earlier dash as a bolt in (I know,I did it). The fenders are different,but the rear structure is pretty much the same once you remove the 74-77 tail light panel.
Old Jan 17th, 13, 01:25 PM
Senior Tech

Ron

I think you should use My Camaro as a 2nd GEN "PINUP":

70Z 600+Hp, 7000rpm, Lunati SR/Donovan Cam Gear Drive/Manley Valves/Jomar Girdel/Diamond Tray, Mallory HyFire VI...etc, 460ci BBC/M21/3:31.

10 years on the Road and NO Ticket's because who could conceive a Ride can do 150+mph down any strait ='s "GET LOST".

Been Driving and Modifying her since 1976 when I bought her for $1.600. Eat your Heart Out 1st Gens ;o)

Last edited by Z15CAM; Jan 17th, 13 at 01:55 PM.
Old Jan 24th, 13, 09:19 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z15CAM View Post
I think you should use My Camaro as a 2nd GEN "PINUP":

70Z 600+Hp, 7000rpm, Lunati SR/Donovan Cam Gear Drive/Manley Valves/Jomar Girdel/Diamond Tray, Mallory HyFire VI...etc, 460ci BBC/M21/3:31.

10 years on the Road and NO Ticket's because who could conceive a Ride can do 150+mph down any strait ='s "GET LOST".

Been Driving and Modifying her since 1976 when I bought her for $1.600. Eat your Heart Out 1st Gens ;o)
I guess you know but that's not a 70 grill.
Old Feb 15th, 13, 07:23 PM
Senior Tech

Tom

Never put bumperettes on a Sport Coupe (STANDARD_ frontend of a 70-73 Camaro.

I passed up a $500 1981 V6 Camaro that was fully loaded with options great body, no rust, great interior too. Just a bad rod knock in the disposable V6 motor.

Dummy me passed it up.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Team Camaro Tech > Generation Specific Forums > Second Generation      Current Topic: Need Advice from Camaro Experts
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.