GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Interiors Upholstery & soft trim

Old Jan 8th, 13, 03:59 PM
Senior Tech

Default Modifying Seat Tracks?

Has anyone tried, and had any success, with modifying the seat tracks (Leg area) to gain more headroom? I have just installed TMI Sport Seats in my 67, and unfortunately they are WAY to tall now.
I would like to try to cut the legs and re-weld them.. or possibly find an after-market product that accomplishes the same thing...

Anyone with any experience with this...

Thanks!

Kip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 8th, 13, 04:25 PM

Brian

Default Re: Modifying Seat Tracks?

Yes there are many threads here on extensions that are available and how to make your own to extend the seats rear path for greater leg-room.

Here are just the first few in a search for "seat tracks for more leg room"
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=152422
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=194472
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=122127
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=214178
Old Jan 8th, 13, 06:04 PM
Senior Tech

Thanks.. but its not an issue of leg-room..... The new cushions are thicker. My head is now up against the roof. I need to lower the seats, not move them back.
I realize that the floor slants back/down and by moving them back it might help some... I just dont think it will be enough...
Old Jan 8th, 13, 06:50 PM
Senior Tech

Garth

Did you replace the springs also ? Yes, you do loose headroom with the Sport Seats, but I believe it's on account of the added firmness of the new foam with internal listing wire. Below is a pic showing stock vs SSeats, springs were not replaced. I guess they might set you up a bit if you've got a wide azz.

I'd try seat extenders, in your situation, you might be surprised. I'm 5'10, slender build and have a couple inches of headroom, seat all the way back, no extenders. Have looked at modifying the seat tracks, but think about 1" max is all you'd gain.
Old Jan 8th, 13, 07:12 PM

Brian

Within a short period of time any new foam will start to settle down.
Old Jan 8th, 13, 08:16 PM
Senior Tech

I replaced the springs too... Figured it was the right time to do it....
Im 511, med build... so its not like Im trying to shoehorn myself in there...
I am gonna have to figure something out.. its worthless right now...
Old Jan 8th, 13, 08:36 PM
Senior Tech

Garth

I hear ya. Think the new springs have something to do with it. Also think seat extenders might get you by for now, until things settle... hopefully.

There might be a way to gain more by modifying the original tracks. Not sure as I haven't gave it enough thought. I was thinking of chopping a section out of the legs and welding back together, but looked like only about an inch possible. Maybe need to do away with the factory legs altogether and come up with another idea ? I wonder if the side seat adjustment would rub on the carpet/floorboard ??
Old Jan 9th, 13, 06:57 AM
Moderator .. Jim

Jim

The floor pan under the drivers seat actually goes 'down-hill' toward the back in a manner of speaking. With the seat extenders that I had made and installed, the further back the extenders go, the lower the seat goes as well. I picked up lots of leg room but more important to me was I picked up several inches of head room. All folks are not built the same. I sit tall in the saddle, short legs but tall torso, so I needed the headroom too. Try some extenders first, cheap and easy to do.

Photos for viewing

Learn How To Post Pics here
Old Jan 10th, 13, 05:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

terry

I have the same problem. New TMI covers and springs, love the look but my head hits the liner. Seat extenders help a little but now there is only about 6 inches between back of front seat and front of back seat. The seats have been in over a year and my head is still against the liner. I will be watching to see if you can fix this. Good luck
Old Jan 10th, 13, 05:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Jason

I'm going to be annoyed if I have this issue when I get mine recovered next week. I'm only 5'9ish and my wife is about 5 foot nothing so hopefully we'll be ok.
Old Jan 10th, 13, 09:07 AM

Waylon Krumrie

Just to chime in a bit....

This is something I do hear from time to time. What happens is somebody replaces broken springs, or has brand new springs, so is causes them to sit higher. Then they put on brand new foam and it makes the problem worse. Its the combination of the springs holding you up like they should and not broken down worn out foam.

As you can see in Garfields Maro's picture, we didn't increase the actual insert's height over factory. The only changes we made were the increased height of the bolsters. Everything else is 100% factory specs.

If I can help any other way please let me know.
www.TMIproducts.com
WK@TMIProducts.com
951-272-1996 x119
Old Jan 10th, 13, 10:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Don

Tim is correct about using new springs with the sport seats. I just did this and thats the first thing I noticed.

I have thought like you , shorten the seat track stands a little but I haven't gotten there yet.
What I did do was install the seat extenders pictured above. This helps . I also put in a thick solid spacer in front of the seat mounting, to tilt back a little more. This is the spacer that comes with rear shock mounting bolts. About 5/8" thick.

I have kept my old seat springs for some reason, they are softer and notice the repop seat spring wires are about .020 thicker than factory.
So during the next PowerTour, if I still can't put on a baseball cap while seated or if my weight does not drop the height down some, I may be reinstalling those factory springs.

I am 6.2 @ 225#. I have even put a 50# bag of play sand in the front seat for next 4 months, hoping to gain maybe an inch of head room. I am not as tall as Click.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TMI front.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	31719  
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E
http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=115_1577.jpg
Old Jan 10th, 13, 12:51 PM
Senior Tech

I am gonna do the seat extender mod in the hope that it helps. I have found a couple different aftermarket flat tracks that kinda look promising too.
Its very frustrating... seems like every time I do something to improve my Camaro, I end up having to spend more $$ and change other things just to make it work...
Im pretty sure that I will end up having to cut my tracks to make these seats work...
Old Jan 10th, 13, 01:04 PM
Banned

Chet

Pretty much sums up the Camaro experience, doesn't it?

I redid my seats along time ago, just repaired the broken springs. New TMI foams and covers just arrived. Car is in paint so I don't have the seats right now. I am hoping the old springs will prevent what you guys are describing. 5'11"-6' here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kv67ssrs View Post
I am gonna do the seat extender mod in the hope that it helps. I have found a couple different aftermarket flat tracks that kinda look promising too.
Its very frustrating... seems like every time I do something to improve my Camaro, I end up having to spend more $$ and change other things just to make it work...
Im pretty sure that I will end up having to cut my tracks to make these seats work...
Old Jan 10th, 13, 04:34 PM
Senior Tech

I just want to make it clear that I was very impressed with the quality of the TMI foams/covers, as was my installer. I am in no way bashing the product...
its just this unexpected install issue that has me frustrated.....
Hey TMI, how bout a quick R&D session on shortening the stock stands?? :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement