Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

What's it worth? & ebay discussions

Old Jan 11th, 13, 07:58 AM

greg

Default Protecto-plate value

Hello to all-
looking for some info and guidance-here's my situation..
Have in my possession a protecto-plate/ warranty card for a 69 copo camaro. The car itself belonged at one time to my older brother. The car now is in the possession of someone who's had it for the last 30 years and is now restoring it. My brother has passed and I am now in possession of the POP. Knowing this camaro is quite valuable, what kind of value does the POP have? Does having the POP increse the value of the car by a certain percentage? The current owner has contacted me about selling the POP...I just want to ask for a fair amount in return. thanks in advance for your time and comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 11th, 13, 08:17 AM
Senior Tech

Brian

Default Re: Protecto-plate value

It will definitely be worth something to the owner of the car, but I don't know how much. Personally, I'd be thrilled to be in your shoes and and have the chance to reunite the POP with that car. If he's had it for 30 years, it's not like he's trying to flip the car just to make a buck. I'd just give it to him, but that is me. I'm sure somenone on here has an idea what it is worth.
Old Jan 11th, 13, 08:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

John

The POP, was part of the car, should have gone with it when sold.
Old Jan 11th, 13, 08:26 AM
Senior Tech

Greg

Another vote of it should be given to the new owner. You will make his day and you will be a good person for doing it. Sure, you could possibly get some money for it, but its only of value to the owner of that one car. Do the right thing

1995 Z28 (sold)
1987 Iroc-Z (sold)
2005 350Z (sold)
Old Jan 11th, 13, 08:32 AM
Retired

Dennis

If the car is a known COPO then the POP is a trivial item and I would ask the car owner what it's worth to him... If the POP is the only proof that the car is a COPO it would be a significant item but I think I would still ask the car owner what he would offer for it.

Without the car it's just a thin plate sitting in a drawer with little or no value by itself. If it had sentimental value to you as a remembrance of your brother, you wouldn't be asking it's value and it would be in a frame with a photo of your brother and the car when it was his...

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
Old Jan 11th, 13, 08:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Tom

It will certainly add to the value of the car so I don't think it's unreasonable to get something in return for it. Money, beer, parts whatever you agree upon with the owner. Yes, nobody else should have it but if he's happy to pay you for it, strike a deal.
Old Jan 11th, 13, 09:05 AM
Retired

Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose RS View Post
It will certainly add to the value of the car so I don't think it's unreasonable to get something in return for it. Money, beer, parts whatever you agree upon with the owner. Yes, nobody else should have it but if he's happy to pay you for it, strike a deal.
I just don't get that, if you have a $150,000 known COPO without a POP how much is the car worth once you do have the POP to go with it? It's certainly a nice piece to have but just what value does it add?

If you were in the market and found two equally restored, same optioned, same color COPO's but one had it's POP and the other didn't, how much extra would you pay to have the POP? $1000, $10,000? When you are talking a $150k car $1000 is bargaining change, you would tell the guy with the POP you'll buy his car if he matches the price of the other one unless you light your cigar with hundred dollar bills!

Documentation's real value comes from when it validates the car as something, not when it's an option like a spoiler...

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
Old Jan 11th, 13, 09:10 AM

It's just me but I'd throw it in an envelope and send it to him. Maybe put one of the new musclecar stamps on the envelope for good measure.

STREET MACHINES OF ROCHESTER

SEMA ACTION NETWORK

UNITED SERVICES ORGANIZATION (USO)
Old Jan 11th, 13, 09:18 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
It's certainly a nice piece to have but just what value does it add?

If you were in the market and found two equally restored, same optioned, same color COPO's but one had it's POP and the other didn't, how much extra would you pay to have the POP? $1000, $10,000? When you are talking a $150k car $1000 is bargaining change, you would tell the guy with the POP you'll buy his car if he matches the price of the other one unless you light your cigar with hundred dollar bills!

Documentation's real value comes from when it validates the car as something, not when it's an option like a spoiler...
I think we are in agreement that it adds intrinsic value. What it is worth in $$ will depend upon the buyer. Might the POP have the original owners name on it also? Mine does.
Personally, I have a hard time beliving more than a very low number of "Copo" Camaros offered for sale are real. So,
given two similar cars at similar prices(high prices like these cars command) I'll take the one with the most documentation, thank you.
Old Jan 11th, 13, 09:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphusker View Post
Another vote of it should be given to the new owner. You will make his day and you will be a good person for doing it. Sure, you could possibly get some money for it, but its only of value to the owner of that one car. Do the right thing
Yeah, I agree... after all, it belongs with the car.
Old Jan 11th, 13, 09:30 AM
Senior Tech

Michael

You now have the opportunity to correct an error on your brother's part of not providing all the car's ownership material to the purchaser. What if it was a set of original key's?

You do no honor to yourself or your brother's memory in holding the POP for ransom.

Send the POP to the purchaser.
Old Jan 11th, 13, 09:42 AM
Tech Team

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahunt View Post
You now have the opportunity to correct an error on your brother's part of not providing all the car's ownership material to the purchaser. What if it was a set of original key's?

You do no honor to yourself or your brother's memory in holding the POP for ransom.

Send the POP to the purchaser.
Normally I would agree with you, but the sale was so long ago and the owner offered to pay. I would say a least $200 if the car had some rare options

:insert witty comment about using telephone:
Old Jan 11th, 13, 10:58 AM
Senior Tech

Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyStarJoe View Post
It's just me but I'd throw it in an envelope and send it to him. Maybe put one of the new musclecar stamps on the envelope for good measure.
I completely agree.
Old Jan 11th, 13, 11:37 AM
Senior Tech

George

I know this will show my noob status more so than anything else I've posted to date but I had to look up what COPO meant and ran into this:

http://www.chevroletperformance.com/...opo-camaro.jsp

Don't know if you guys knew about this already or not. Just putting it out there for your enjoyment.
Old Jan 11th, 13, 12:09 PM
Senior Tech

STEVE

How 'bout tell current owner that you when he's done the car you will trade him for a chance to drive your brother's old car ?

If no dice then I would guess $100 - $200 or a kool trade shouldn't be too far out of line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
copo camaro, protecto-plate