GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Restoration Corner Where originality comes first

Old Jan 14th, 13, 08:59 AM

Zachary

Question Trunk pan replacement

Hi, i am starting this summer on my very first project car that my father is shareing with me, a 1968 RS Camaro. The floor is rusted out on the drivers side, the passenger side, the rear corner on the drivers side where the back seat goes and the trunk pan on the drivers side. the leaf spring has gone through the frame rail and trunk pan, there is a rust hole in the door jamb on the passenger side right near the rocker panel.

I currently have a whole trunk pan bought, the passenger pan and drivers pan and i would like to restore some structure into the trunk by adding in the trunk pan, due to the car being a unibody it makes it harder for me to get good information gathered to know how to do this without twisting the frame.
any information that may help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 14th, 13, 09:16 AM
Senior Tech

Bob

Default Re: Trunk pan replacement

Sounds like you need at least one frame rail, and if the one that the leaf spring went up through is that bad, the other one likely needs to be replaced as well. Did you buy the full-length floor pans that go from the firewall to the front of the rear seat, or just the partial pans? Sounds like you might be better off with a one-piece floor if you've got rot under the rear seat.

I'm assuming by "whole trunk pan" you mean the one-piece trunk that goes from wheelwell to wheelwell, and not just the center section? If so, your best bet would probably be to change out the frame rails and the trunk pan from underneath (at the same time) and then get the floorpan replaced.

How do you plan on supporting everything to make sure nothing moves and that you maintain proper alignment of the frame rails relative to the front subframe?
Old Jan 14th, 13, 09:22 AM

Zachary

the rot is not too bad i mean i can jump in the car its self its around the foot well and i beleive the two pans are just up to the foot well, they do not cover the back though, reason i got them was they cover a good chunk and the seat area is pretty intact in my opinion and the place i got them from was less than 15 mins away from Golden Leaf automotive, i was saying to get the whole floor but my father kept saying no just get parts instead because its harder to put in a full one, i am also going to buy two new frame rails as well. ive been told by my father that the trunk needs to go in first or there will be nothing for the rails to go onto. i could possibly link some photos of the damage later today when i get out of school and work if that can help

i planed to have it on a hoise at my work and have possible some metal bars welded into the car to try and hold the structure like i have read from the internet but i am not sure if it would work.

Last edited by ztjms; Jan 14th, 13 at 09:26 AM. Reason: needed to add more
Old Jan 14th, 13, 09:40 AM
Senior Tech

George

Pull up the trim around the bottom of the rear window. I bet you find rot there.
Old Jan 14th, 13, 09:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Sedric

@ZTJMS, Hello there and welcome. I was in your situation once and thought that repalcing the partial floors, (each side) would be easier. Boy was I wrong. If I was to do it over, I would just buy the complete floor pan. Its actually less work and especially if your looking for the nice clean look. The time you will spend cutting and measuring to make the partials fit would be more time than installing a complete.

Sedric
Old Jan 14th, 13, 04:35 PM

Zachary

the rear window, im assumeing you mean not the sides but the actual rear, theres a little but but all chrome has basically been removed

Last edited by ztjms; Jan 14th, 13 at 04:37 PM. Reason: misunderstood
Old Jan 14th, 13, 04:49 PM

Zachary

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=215649

wasent sure if i posted on right thread earlier so i got pics on this post of it and hit my max on pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement