Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Interiors Upholstery & soft trim

Old Jan 27th, 13, 11:10 AM

Nick

Default Need new seat frames

Hi
I am about to redo my interior (with TMI sportseat).
When I was dismantling the seats I discovered that the frames and springs was in a very bad shape. So I am thinking of buying new frames.
Do anyone know if there is any difference (regarding quality/fitment) between the ones on the market ?

For example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/69-1969-Cama...fe5ec8&vxp=mtr
or this
http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...lies/year/1969
Or is any other better ?

Thanks
Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 27th, 13, 09:19 PM
Senior Tech

Garth

Default Re: Need new seat frames

"Bad shape" as in rusty I presume ? The Sport Seats are notorious for their firmer feel and resulting loss of headroom. Have heard similar reports on the reproduction springs as well, so I'd sure try to stay with original springs to go along with the Sport Seats....jmho
Old Jan 28th, 13, 06:08 AM
Senior Tech

Michael

Just fix your busted springs. I haven't seen and original (used) Camaro that didn't need a spring replaced (or two).
Old Jan 28th, 13, 07:16 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Don

As mentioned above, unless your entire seat frame is unsalvageable, try to repair the "S" springs. Keep in mind that if you do order seat cushions, the seat back normally comes with the spring molded in. That's the way my sport seat cushion did. All fit well but as mentioned, the new reprop seat spring bottom is heavier gauge wire , about .025 thicker.

I did loose head room . I still have my old seat springs that are in good shape but feel soft. I think I need a girlfriend at about 200# to sit in these seats for about a month to get my headroom back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TMI front.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	32015  
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E
http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=115_1577.jpg
Old Jan 28th, 13, 09:41 AM

Nick

The frame needs welding (no problem to fix, but time consuming) and a coupple of broken (and heavily rusted) springs.
So I thought if ordering new springs, it would be better to get it all new.

I was by the company that will put on the new upholstery and they wanted to see how bad they were. They had some some parts to maybe fix the springs with. So after reading your info and talked to the company I will probably have a go and fix the old frames.

Don, good you mentioned that. I noticed that my old back had the springs molded in.
The new one (TMI) has a slightly different style but also molded in.
So if I understand it right, if I buy new frames with springs attached at the back. I will have to take those off ?

Thanks.
Old Jan 28th, 13, 10:18 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick 69 View Post
The frame needs welding (no problem to fix, but time consuming) and a coupple of broken (and heavily rusted) springs.
So I thought if ordering new springs, it would be better to get it all new.

I was by the company that will put on the new upholstery and they wanted to see how bad they were. They had some some parts to maybe fix the springs with. So after reading your info and talked to the company I will probably have a go and fix the old frames.

Don, good you mentioned that. I noticed that my old back had the springs molded in.
The new one (TMI) has a slightly different style but also molded in.
So if I understand it right, if I buy new frames with springs attached at the back. I will have to take those off ?

Thanks.
Removing springs from a frame is something I know nothing about . Might keep this discussion open for someone that can tell us.
I thought it was only the 69 that had springs molding within the foam. 67 and 68 may be differant but I find complete seat frames with springs sold as 67-69 so I really dont know what to tell you.
http://www.firewheelclassics.com/sto...&SKU=SP40R%5FL
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E
http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=115_1577.jpg
Old Feb 10th, 13, 07:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Max Stewart

Auto upholstery shops actually have replacement springs that are universal, ask your upholstery shop about them, worked for me, and hope will do the same for you, and the springs are not that expensive........My 68 Camaro never had springs molded into the back rest foam.........Just my personal opinion, also the upholstery shop I do business with, was not at all concerned about broken springs, he repaired the cracked bucket seat frames with his welder, and did the new upholstery on them, work fine, People have different tastes, but myself when the upholstery was off the frames and springs, I spray painted them black with paint that prevents rusting. If and when the seats are ever taken apart again, at least the upholstery shop, can see that they were put back together looking good................
Old Feb 11th, 13, 01:14 PM
Senior Tech

speaking from personal experience... you might want to do some research/reading on the TMI Sport Seats...
Old Feb 11th, 13, 01:34 PM

Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kv67ssrs View Post
speaking from personal experience... you might want to do some research/reading on the TMI Sport Seats...
Reading some posts before and it seems that most people are happy with them. Do you have any other experience ?

Max
The interior was ordered almost 4 months ago and are laying here allready, just waiting for the upholstery shop to start working with it. Problem with living in Sweden is I cant just pick up the phone (or drive by a shop) to get hold of these parts. It often takes weeks (sometimes months) to get hold of things. But I had some luck and one of the Swedish upholstery shops down south had some spare springs he could sale, so the are on their way now. The frames are painted and the the upholstery guy thought that with some spare springs he will get the seat frames in good condition.

Thanks for all help.
Old Feb 11th, 13, 04:41 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick 69 View Post
Reading some posts before and it seems that most people are happy with them. Do you have any other experience ?

Unfortunately I have...

My head literally rubs the roof... even after cutting 1" out of the tracks...
I used new springs and had everything put together by a very reputable business here in Tulsa.
They look great... but otherwise have made the car miserable to drive...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement