Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

Old Jan 28th, 13, 06:51 AM
Senior Tech

Bruce

Default BB AC Box???

I am converting a 69 SB AC car to a BB with the correct engine mounts etc. Can I still use the original SB ac system, Except brackets.? I have been told I could with a slight modification to the inside of the suitcase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 28th, 13, 08:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

John

Default Re: BB AC Box???

The inner suitcase sections are markedly different, with the BB unit also having a slanted section to clear the heads ...
There are also other differences in the plumbing, but most of those are cosmetic and the SB components can be left where they are and still function.

Summit carries the inner cases, here is the link - http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...e-outlet-cases
You could just change out the parts needed and go from there - or ... try to find a complete donor set-up from a BB.
Other V6 things - none of which float
Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!

Last edited by Vintage 68; Jan 28th, 13 at 10:24 AM. Reason: bad-bad-bad spelling ...
Old Jan 28th, 13, 08:30 AM
Senior Tech

Mark

The outer case is different as well, the angle from the firewall to the faces where the two halves mate up with each other is different than the small block one. Theres less of an angle (90 degrees being perpendicular to the fire wall) in the big block one, ie the whole evaporator tips more towards the fender than the small block one to allow for more clearance. The firebird A/C unit (thers only one for all engine options) from the same year is much closer to a BB Camaro unit, and it can probably be found alot easier than a BB Camaor unit.
My Engine Compartment
Old Jan 28th, 13, 10:23 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

John

Red face Re: BB AC Box???

Mark is right!
(and wow do I make a lot of spelling errors )

The Firebird units are sometimes easier to find as stated and are very close to the BBC set-up.
Other V6 things - none of which float
Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
Old Jan 28th, 13, 10:39 AM
Senior Tech

Tom

Smile Re: BB AC Box???

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 TPI transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
Old Jan 28th, 13, 03:04 PM
Senior Tech

Bruce

So the question remains, if I were to indent the engine side of the outer case, cut and re-fiberglass will it work. Is there any clearance between the side of the engine and the outer case? I am working on a budget here and every dollar counts. I am trying to build this car under 20 grand including the purchase price of the SB X-44 car. Building it to a BB 4 SPD, silver over black, all body work, paint is done with an all new interior. Bought a 76 Suberban for a grand, with a re-built 454, T-400, I camed up the BB, new intake and holley DP 800 and sold the 400 to help pay for the upgrades . . . got the PS and radiator too!
Old Jan 28th, 13, 06:40 PM
Senior Tech

Tom

Smile Re: BB AC Box???

Are you going to run headers ? You will have fun fitting them with a BB a/c box, let alone a SB one. People that have run a SB box and a BB, couldn't change the back two spark plugs. You should try the Pontiac route and maybe you'll get lucky.

I would go with a vintage air setup and that box would come out.
69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 TPI transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
Old Jan 30th, 13, 04:31 AM
Senior Tech

Bruce

Is it possible to change the suitcase to a BB and keep the SB inner part or is the whole thing different? Looking at the SB case, There is several inches of space on the engine side so it seems I could cut away as much as needed for clearance then fiberglass it in. I am planning on headers.
Old Jan 30th, 13, 07:08 AM
Senior Tech

Mark

Both halves are different, and will not bolt up to each other.
My Engine Compartment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement