Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

Old Feb 4th, 13, 02:12 PM
Senior Tech

RJ

Default best automatic tranny

HI,
What would be the best but affordable auto trans for use in my Camaro with about 700-750 hp on spray.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 4th, 13, 02:53 PM
Tech Team

Brian

Default Re: best automatic tranny

400 turbo best bang for the buck if overdrive is not important
Old Feb 4th, 13, 03:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Steve

TH400 with reverse manual valve body. The valve body will vastly improve the 2-3 shift and keep you from burning up the trans. Make sure you use good high performance friction materials. Also replace the intermediate sprag with a 34 element unit.
'69 Camaro - 640HP 427 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Cola crank, Lunati 6" Pro Mod rods, JE pistons (13.8:1), Total Seal rings, hand ported AFR 210 heads, Jesel belt drive, custom ground 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050" with .660" lift, Dart single plane, 1050 Dominator, Stef's #1705R oil pan, NOS big shot, Lemons 2" primary 3-1/2" collector, Coan 8" converter
Old Feb 4th, 13, 05:06 PM
Senior Tech

67 Camaros Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve69SS396 View Post
TH400 with reverse manual valve body. The valve body will vastly improve the 2-3 shift and keep you from burning up the trans. Make sure you use good high performance friction materials. Also replace the intermediate sprag with a 34 element unit.
I highly recomend this, I had TH 400 with some issues once. It was not high H/P engine but did have fair amount of torque in a heavy vehicle. I broke the sprag 2 times. The third time was charm......when it broke it split my case and pretty much trashed everything. I think the only usable part was the trans mount
My 67 Camaro Time Line http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=211805
Old Feb 4th, 13, 05:18 PM
Senior Tech

keith

The last camaro I had was a big block car. Ibroke two 400 cases. A buddy of mine has been building trans since 1964 tld me he ould build a buillt proof 350. Itold him he was full of it. He built me a short shaft 350out of a second en Camro. He ued red line clutches, heavy duty sprags, revers manual valve body and a clutch spacer from a 700R4 to make room for more clutches. The trans costme about $400. After that Iwas replacing motor mounts, a hood and to twelve blt hosings The trans was strong as bull.
Old Feb 4th, 13, 07:14 PM
Senior Tech

RJ

Thanks much, and what about converter. Keep in mind, I have always been a 4-speed guy, so really know virtually nothing about auto transmission. Mainly want to go auto for the track, very seldom ever do highway driving with it, so overdrive not necessarily a necessity either. Would like trans-brake too, although that is another thing I know nothing about, haha
RJ
Old Feb 4th, 13, 08:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Steve

For a converter I would call ATI or Coan. A good converter will cost close to $1,000 but it will perform much better. Why do you want a T-Brake? If you do go with a brake you should do it when the trans is built. There are internal mods necessary for the brake.
'69 Camaro - 640HP 427 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Cola crank, Lunati 6" Pro Mod rods, JE pistons (13.8:1), Total Seal rings, hand ported AFR 210 heads, Jesel belt drive, custom ground 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050" with .660" lift, Dart single plane, 1050 Dominator, Stef's #1705R oil pan, NOS big shot, Lemons 2" primary 3-1/2" collector, Coan 8" converter
Old Feb 5th, 13, 04:11 AM

<Jake 68's Rule

Also RJ, if going to an auto trans and a 'loose' convertor, you will have to run an external cooler in front of the radiator. The larger, the better, since you might not have an trans oil cooler in the present radiator, you might. If you do, install ext cooler after the rad cooler and before the trans return line.

When installing cooler and hooking up, fill the cooler from the bottom as this action will 'push' out the air to the top of the cooler for better cooling.

With this said, if using flexible synthetic hose, the hose will have to be changed, maybe every four years, just like coolant hoses & belts, as the rule of thumb.
Those of us who follow this rule, raise your hand.......yep, just as I thought, I didn't see an ocean of hands flying, and neither was mine.

I've been biting my tongue not to say this, but,
'Real men run PG's and don't need no stinkin' brake.'

THM400's take alot of power to turn, magazines suggested 49 hp, lots of mass to turn internally, 34-element sprag is a good upgrade, works very well in my '88 454 Dually weighing 6000lbs,
However, I did have an '88 MCSS, PO installed a '71 307", of all engines, my God, Man, think, and a Rossler THM400 - excellent choice of trans rebuilder. All I had to buy was a new dipstick & tube from Hughes.
THM350's are light duty, take 36 hp to turn. I had one in my '68, 2900 lbs, 28 inch slicks, 4.11, 350CID. Broke the intermediate sprag outer race, the part is right behind the oil pump for easy replacement as I broke this outer race five times, two of them hardened, maybe hardened too much and became brittle, I always had an extra one on the shelf for those overnight repairs to race the next day,
Powerglide takes 18 hp, I returned it back into the car with a looser convertor and never looked back, ran a faster mph.
Old Feb 5th, 13, 02:32 PM

Bud

If you don't care for o/d a 400 will be fine, will have to be built good. as far as convertors, continental is the very best. if you want o/d a 4L80E is a 400 w o/d but will require a computer to run it
Old Feb 5th, 13, 02:38 PM

Bud

Forgot the powerglide! excellent trans ran a stock case p.g in a late camaro 8 years never touched it, i did run a 2:08 1st gear though w a 393 sb 9 teens all day long. You should figure what 1st gear you want and also if you want auto shift or man.
Old Feb 12th, 13, 05:05 PM
Senior Tech

mark

Hey RJ, I'm in the same boat and am switching to a 3 speed auto behind a new 406. Jakes peformance trans builds a th350 that they claim to reliably hold up to 600 horse. If your going to spray it alot that may not be enough but that is the route I am considering. Keep us posted of which direction you go.
Advertisement

Team Camaro Tech > First Generation Camaro Info and Tech - 1967- 1969 "Where it all started" > Transmission & Driveline      Current Topic: best automatic tranny
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.