Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Tag Team De-coding tags and numbers.

Old Feb 25th, 13, 06:40 PM
Team Member

Len

Default Z/28 Cowl tag to vin question

I am hoping you guys can help figure out this dilema. My brother purchased a 69 Z/28 a few months ago. It has all the Z/28 markings. 4 leaf suspension, dual hanger exhaust, disc brakes, close ratio manual steering etc. It has original Lemans blue all over it. As you can see in the pictures it is a rusty rolling shell but the vin 9N5763XX matches the two hidden vins. The cowl tag seems correct in every way except the build date seems to be about 3 weeks after the vin. Can you tell if it looks like an original cowl tag or one that has been added or faked? It just seems strange that the color is correct and that someone would go to so much trouble to add this cowl tag on such a rusty, stripped project. He had the guy paint the cowl tag area before he purchased it to help see the x code better since he was buying it by photo only. It does not have the correct rear and of course motor and tranny are long gone. What do you think? Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	32501
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 25th, 13, 06:42 PM
Team Member

Len

Default Re: Z/28 Cowl tag to vin question

Additional pics

Name:	photo1.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	32502
Old Feb 25th, 13, 06:43 PM
Team Member

Len

Last pic

Name:	photo2.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	32503
Old Feb 25th, 13, 07:08 PM
Senior Tech

Tim

02B is too early for D80, and VIN is earlier than February.
Old Feb 25th, 13, 07:13 PM
Senior Tech

Its a fake tag.
Old Feb 25th, 13, 07:57 PM
Senior Tech

jeff

i thought the tag looked good but it looks like it wasn't born on this car.... looks like a swap.
1964 CHEVY II 406 SOLD
Old Feb 25th, 13, 08:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Not just a swap. That is a fake tag. It isn't just maybe a fake tag. It IS a fake tag.
Period. If it used to be a GM tag, someone removed it and stamped the D80 in from the back.

You said: "It just seems strange that the color is correct and that someone would go to so much trouble to add this cowl tag on such a rusty, stripped project."

Why? Because even as a project, it will bring a higher price than a non z. Just that simple. For money. I see you are in Kansas. Your brother didn't happen to purchase from a seller in Oklahoma did he? It is illegal to swap the tag in Oklahoma.
Old Feb 25th, 13, 08:36 PM
Senior Tech

Garth

Tag is a reproduction...
Old Feb 25th, 13, 08:51 PM
Team Member

Len

No I think he purchased it from a guy in Tennesse. He is feeling pretty duped obviously. He knows better to check the vin to cowl date and thought he did but evidently not. I suppose you are right about the reason for the swap, dang crooks. I feel pretty sure it was a real Z at one time but it doesn't matter now with the original cowl tag gone. He was taken. Lesson learned for him. He will part the car out now Im sure.
Old Feb 26th, 13, 08:00 AM
Senior Tech

Ed

For future searches:

ST69 12437 NOR264784 BDY
TR 713 71 71 PNT
02B X33D80

Len, what's the full VIN? I'll take a look in the database and see if we have anything on the car.

Ed
Old Feb 26th, 13, 08:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6667ss138 View Post
No I think he purchased it from a guy in Tennesse. He is feeling pretty duped obviously. He knows better to check the vin to cowl date and thought he did but evidently not. I suppose you are right about the reason for the swap, dang crooks. I feel pretty sure it was a real Z at one time but it doesn't matter now with the original cowl tag gone. He was taken. Lesson learned for him. He will part the car out now Im sure.
I hate what this is doing to what should be a really nice hobby. Amazing. GM sold about 20,000 Z's in 69 and now there are 40,000 running around. Half the Z's I see on ebay are fake cars, almost always stating they are the "real deal".

It is nothing short of thievery. While the simple act of swapping a tag is not in itself illegal except in Oklahoma, it is illegal in all 50 states to obtain money by false pretenses. It is just as illegal as if he had someone copy a Renoir painting and then sold it as an original. Although your brother won't get his money back, he should send a letter demanding a full refund including whatever he paid to have it shipped. Has your brother saved all the communication regarding the sale?

Advise the seller that the tag has been swapped. Ask the seller point blank if he is the one who swapped it. If he denies swapping it, demand to know who he purchased the car from and when. You want names. If he won't give you any information, then you need to publish the seller's name here on the board. You can publish just the facts. If you don't know he is the one who swapped it, you can't accuse him of that, but you can sure state the mane of the seller.
Old Feb 26th, 13, 03:59 PM
Team Member

Len

Ed, I will PM you the full vin. Please let me know if you find anything. Thanks!

Lynn, I just talked to my brother and he did email the guy today and has not received an answer yet. He is going to give him an opportunity to make it right but if the guy doesn't he will give me his name to post on here. My brother says he sells cars on a regular basis and needs to be exposed if he doesn't cooperate. Thany you also!
Old Feb 26th, 13, 04:37 PM
Senior Tech

Ed

Sorry Len. It's not in the database.

Ed
Old Feb 26th, 13, 04:42 PM
Senior Tech

Maybe it is just the picture quality, but I cannot see the Muncie speedo cable and clip locations needed on the firewall shot. Also no stripe color (white) overspray/spray through on top of cowl, but that could be result of a repaint at some point.
Old Feb 26th, 13, 05:18 PM
Senior Tech

keith

My car is a 05A car with the white paint on the cowl and no D80 . If the car was built before mine it should have those same no D80 and white paint , cowl does'nt look like it has overspray inside like it should for stripe color. If the car came with black stripes would the top of the cowl be black? it does look like two different colors of blue on the firewall.
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, M-21 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, 355 / 302 clone " 302 long gone" , black standard trim, frame off resto in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cowl tag, vin, z/28