Windshield Wiper Motor! - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

Old Apr 10th, 03, 09:02 AM

I was wondering if anyone could help me..this problem is more of a minor thing and is just annoying more than anything...but here's the problem.

My wipers now all of a sudden will not go down when they are stopped. I turn the wiper off and instead of moving down into the off position they now move straight up and down and stop. My current fix is to unplug the fuse during nice days and plug it back in on bad days...but this kinda sucks! I have a 1997 Camaro RS...I was just wondering if this is definitely a Wiper Motor replacement or if there is a possible fix for this? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 10th, 03, 11:19 AM
Senior Tech

Sounds like your wiper arm linkage is 180 degrees out. Take the nut off of the motor shaft and remove the linkage. Turn the wipers on and off and let the motor go into park position, then re-attach the linkage with the wipers down.
Old Apr 10th, 03, 03:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

I have a similar problem on my 97 z24. Wipers work fine, but when I shut them off, they remain up across the windshield. I took the car to a chevy dealer for a recall and had them look at the wipers. They told me the wiper transmission assembly was bent. I asked how much to fix it and they quoted me $500. The transmission assembly was $290 alone. I laughed at the price. I'm not spending $500 to fix the wipers for a 97 z24. I love Chevy's, but this car was built poorly. Thank god both of my camaro's (96 and 69)were not built this crappy. I've been driving around like that for 10 months now and it really is starting to bother me. I am heading to the junk yard for a used one and will replace it myself when it warms up.
Old Apr 11th, 03, 05:03 AM

I'll try to detatch the linkage and see if that works...but it's weird because the wipers work fine when they are on, it's just when they are turned off that they don't...that's when they go straight up and down, but when I turn them back on they sweep down normal and continue to sweep up and down...you sure detatching the linkage would help this?
Old Apr 11th, 03, 05:14 AM
Senior Tech

When you turn them off, do they stop there or do
the always "park" in the same location ?
Old Apr 11th, 03, 06:51 AM

When I turn them off they always park in the same spot no matter where in the swipe I turn them off at....
Old Apr 11th, 03, 08:48 AM
Senior Tech

If you do what I suggested you should be fine.
Old Sep 22nd, 06, 11:15 AM
Senior Tech

Mike

Unhappy Re: Windshield Wiper Motor!

I have a '98 Camaro with the stock wiper motor.

Last week it started doing the same thing as your car - it works fine, but when I go to turn it off, it parks in the middle of the windshield.

I'm the original owner and haven't touched the wipers - it's the way they came from the factory.

So what's wrong and what needs to be replaced?

Also - I looked under the hood and couldn't find the wiper motor or controller - where are they located?

Thanks for the help!!

Mike
Old Sep 25th, 06, 10:22 PM
Senior Tech

Default Re: Windshield Wiper Motor!

replace the wiper board,pulse board what ever combo you have.This is the brains of your system and has taken a day off.you do not need a tranny.The ckt board is seperate and easily replaced without a new motor.
Old Sep 26th, 06, 12:06 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatblock View Post
replace the wiper board,pulse board what ever combo you have.This is the brains of your system and has taken a day off.you do not need a tranny.The ckt board is seperate and easily replaced without a new motor.
I had the same problem.......it turned out to be the board. It shorted out and the wipers would not go into the park position. Sometimes if I get water on the wiper motor, the same thing will happen until the motor dries.

Camaro buds until the end!!!
Old Sep 26th, 06, 11:27 AM
Senior Tech

Mike

Thanks for the reply!!

I found the motor and tranny under the windshield - but you said this is not the problem - right?

So where is this little circuit board you mentioned located? under the dash?

Thanks again, :-)
Mike
Old Sep 26th, 06, 09:44 PM
Senior Tech

Mike, check under the plastic cover of the unit where the wires go into the motor. You should be able to see the board after removing the cover.

Old Sep 27th, 06, 10:30 AM
Senior Tech

Mike

Thanks Dave,

I see where the connector plugs into the motor/board, but how the heck do I remove it?

There a frame supporting the wiper arm in the way and it impossible to get a tool way back in there. How did you remove the circuit board? It's a bugger!

Thanks again,
Mike
Old Sep 27th, 06, 03:15 PM
Senior Tech

Mike, I tried to look for a good link explaining the procedure on removing the board and couldn't find one. If I remember correctly, there are two screws holding the board to the wiper housing (It's the board with the connectors on the right side of the unit). You should just be able to use a nut driver or phillips head to remove the screws and pull the board out. You might have to remove that part of the linkage if that is in the way. Also test out the wiper motor before installing the cover. The wipers must be in the park position to install the cover. Hope this helps. Dave

Old Sep 28th, 06, 07:05 PM
Senior Tech

remove the windshield cowling and haul out the whole assembly and put it on the bench.The ckt board is attached with torx bolts.Inverted,compare the old with the new,locate the cam and reinstall with sealer for water intrusion.Be carefull of the base of the windshield glass while removing and reinstalling.Been there,done that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Team Camaro Tech > All Generations > Troubleshooting      Current Topic: Windshield Wiper Motor!
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.