Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Engine General Engine Discussion.

Old Aug 27th, 13, 07:18 PM
Senior Tech

Dee

Default Gasoline Ethanol Mixes

In Oklahoma (at least today) we still have access to "real" gasoline, that is no ethanol mixed in. From what I read in the news this fall we will be forced to use a gas/ethanol mix or pay through the nose to get pure gasoline...at least as long as we can still get it.

My 67 Camaro SS has a casting number/date code correct engine now. Also still has older rubber gas line segments. And at 10:1 compression I have to run 91 octane. My fear is that soon higher octane non-ethanol gas will not be available for our old girls.

For those in states where you cannot get "real" gasoline, what have you done to prepare your engine/car for the ethanol mixes? The way the EPA is going we are only going to see higher and higher ethanol mixtures. I fear for the future of our hobby due to the upcoming changes in the available gasolines.

How do we prepare and continue the hobby we love?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 27th, 13, 07:48 PM

Brian

Default Re: Gasoline Ethanol Mixes

Not that I think any of us really prepared in Connecticut with some of the highest gasoline prices and pollution, seasonal blend changes - but I have noticed the past few years that the carburetor rebuild kits out there now mostly come with hardened plastic parts to fight against the ethanol dissolving or gumming them up, especially the accelerator piston pump. Rubber fuel lines seem to be okay with it. Make a friend at your local airport wink wink.
Old Aug 27th, 13, 08:42 PM
Team Member

Randy

Guys my 383 is right at 10:1 compression and I also run 91 octane. Here in California we have winter and summer blends of fuel that both have ethanol in them. I to was worried what this fuel would do to my brand new engine so I did some research and from the beginning I have been adding a product called Startron - Starbrite enzyme fuel additive to every tank. This product seems to be different in that it pulls the water from the fuel and does not contain alcohol like all the other fuel stabilizers which does not remove the moisture. I know its only been 3 years since I started using this, but I haven't had any fuel related issues. The owner of my local auto parts store says he sells quite a bit of the product, mainly guys that have classic cars. I would attach a link, but every time I try and cut and past a link it doesn't work? Hope this helps.
Old Aug 27th, 13, 10:47 PM
Senior Tech

Steps

Quote:
My 67 Camaro SS has a casting number/date code correct engine now. Also still has older rubber gas line segments. And at 10:1 compression I have to run 91 octane. My fear is that soon higher octane non-ethanol gas will not be available for our old girls.
This sort of thing has been going on for decades..take one of my vintage cars.. low compression designed to run on British pool fuel 1936 thru 1954 and an octane that varied around the 65 to 70...Try and buy that now!
And then the leaded gas rort from the battle Briton to finally stopped here in the late 80s...
And u will most proberly find that your car was designed for higher octane that u now get AND leaded....
Higer the the dynamic compression of the engine thew higher the octane fuel it CAN run efficiently.....
So when u have a high compression engine as you have and cant get the high octane fuels all it means is an adjustment to the timing curve because the time of the spark to the point of max combustion pressure is different by a few degrees.
Even if the octane was the same but a fuel formula change, then that will also change the advance characteristics

Bottom line this is not the 1st change in fuels that your car has seen, and not the 1st time controversy has surrounds fuel changes over the last 100 yrs.

So we can , again jump up and down wave outr arms around ....and waste our time in the effort, OR simply get on with it a re dial in our cars to suit...

When Our Government was discussing no lead in early to mid 60s , I decided then to find a consistant high octane fuel....my Camaro has not seen a drop of petrol since around 1984 around 200,000 miles ago....and Im very happy with 105 octane LPG.
I dont even have a petrol tank, pump and most of the lines have been removed.

My vintage cars after much investigation , applying my chemistry background etc run a blend 10 to 12 % A1 aviation fuel and 91 octane petrol

Both have modified timing curves to suit the new fuels...
Old Sep 2nd, 13, 10:42 AM
Team Member

John

We've had E10 (used to call it "gasohol") in Michigan for 28 years, have never had any fuel-related issues with it (93 octane premium) in any of my vintage cars. If any of the rubber hoses in your fuel system (tank-to-frame line or frame line-to-fuel pump inlet) are really old, replace them with modern ethanol-compliant hose.
Old Sep 2nd, 13, 11:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ View Post
We've had E10 (used to call it "gasohol") in Michigan for 28 years, have never had any fuel-related issues with it (93 octane premium) in any of my vintage cars. If any of the rubber hoses in your fuel system (tank-to-frame line or frame line-to-fuel pump inlet) are really old, replace them with modern ethanol-compliant hose.
X2 Where I live in California they started selling gasohol in the late 70's early 80's. Never had any problems running it in my old cars.
'69 Camaro - 640HP 427 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Cola crank, Lunati 6" Pro Mod rods, JE pistons (13.8:1), Total Seal rings, hand ported AFR 210 heads, Jesel belt drive, custom ground 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050" with .660" lift, Dart single plane, 1050 Dominator, Stef's #1705R oil pan, NOS big shot, Lemons 2" primary 3-1/2" collector, Coan 8" converter
Old Sep 2nd, 13, 02:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Gary

Gasohol...now there is a word I haven't heard used in a few years. When I first got stationed at Dover AFB in 74 gasohol was just getting started. There were a lot of airman and officers that had hotrods and everyone that had one would be lined up at the local Sunoco station right down the road from the base getting their rods fueled up. No body would go near the gas stations that had gasohol. There were only a handful here and there and even the base gas station had gasohol but it would be rare to see any hot cars at them. When the Sunoco high octane went away we had no choice but to use what was available since then. Personally I don't think there is an issue with the 10 percent ethanol. I only have the Z at the moment and use the 92 octane with no problems and every other hotrod I've owned since gasohol ran pretty well. Not sure why others think it's bad to use. Is it just that thing that's been hanging around in everybodies head that if it's not 100 percent gas it isn't good?
Console w/tach and gauges.
Old Sep 2nd, 13, 03:19 PM
Tech Team

Jim

Our 69 has been running for several years on gas/ethanol blend. The rubber segments of the fuel line were replaced years ago when we first used the blended fuel.
I just took the Holley carb apart and rebuilt it (nothing was wrong, I was just thinking too much about the blended fuel). On inspection it looked fine inside; I rebuilt it anyway, since it was off of the car and apart. The fuel isn't a concern for me now. Jim
Old Sep 2nd, 13, 03:34 PM
Tech Team

Mathew

My family had two race cars, one a 383 screamer and one a 468 bbc. Both ran low 11's on 93 octane pump gas. As a matter of fact the 468 is still running and is in my 59 year old mothers Monte Carlo.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old Sep 2nd, 13, 03:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Bryon / Big B

I havc not noticed any issues with the E10 (10 percent ethanol blend). If your fuel lines are old, it is probably time to replace them anyway.

I have been contemplating a switch to E85 for a few years. 100-105 octane and cheaper than regular fuel, at least for now. I just need to bite the bullet and get a carb that is compatible.
Old Sep 2nd, 13, 08:27 PM
Senior Tech

we've had 10% ethanol here in MN since before i got my license in 1990... i've never seen a problem that i would attribute to the ethanol. i've replaced a few 30 year old fuel pumps that were leaky, but they were 30 years old.

but based on other arguments about this in various online forums, there might be a formulation difference from region to region that doesn't work well with the ethanol. i found out last summer that the carbureted 305 in my 86 Camaro ran way different on gas in some states than it did in others, which can only be a result of the different formulations.

that being said, i run as much ethanol as each vehicle i own can stand without running like crap... the local gas station has a blender pump that lets you select E10, E20, E30, E50, and E85 so i can easily tinker with the blend and see what happens.. in general, older carbureted stuff likes no more than 30% and newer fuel injected stuff loses mileage above 50%...

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
Old Sep 3rd, 13, 01:42 PM
Senior Tech

Steps

Quote:
i've replaced a few 30 year old fuel pumps that were leaky, but they were 30 years old.
LMAO that certainly sums up a hell of a lot lol
These days it is very hard , if one wanted to, to locate old school rubber kits for vintage cars... new ones are generally made of neoprene or similar suitable compounds by default these days... like hardened valve seals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement