GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Tag Team De-coding tags and numbers.

Old Dec 21st, 03, 06:12 AM
Senior Tech

Bryan

Question.... Doing some research on my patricular Z. Did all x77 cars come with the side gill chrome or were they left off, rocker chrome on or off? Rear tall bumper guards on or off? Getting ready to "undo" my semi custom look to go back original. --Bryan
1971 RS Z/28, classic copper, 8k tach, ugly as u can get.. but a Z.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 21st, 03, 07:24 AM
Senior Tech

Gary

Assuming we are ignoring X33 RS, I believe the only difference between the two is drip rail brightwork, headlight bezel brightwork, and taillight divider brightwork.
Old Dec 21st, 03, 07:28 AM
Senior Tech

X77 did NOT receive the chrome side 'gills'. They DID receive the rocker panel molding and ALL Z/28's had the large rear bumper guards.
Hope this helps.
Old Dec 21st, 03, 08:13 AM
Senior Tech

Chevy Rumble does it again!!

They report that some Z/28s were X11.

Seems like anything Doug Marion has his hands on will have dis-information in it. Super Chevy used to drive me nuts.

CRG www.camaros.org
Old Dec 21st, 03, 10:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

"Tri-Tip"

Just surfing thru here because anything Z28 is of interest to me. Are we sure about rocker panel moldings? What were you saying William?

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
Old Dec 21st, 03, 11:23 AM
Senior Tech

My Z28 is a Los car with build sheet. It is the base Z28, so if a Nor car would be a X77 car. I bought it back in 81 and feel it was very original when I bought it. It does not have the side vent chrome, drip rail chrome, head lamp chrome or the tail light vertical chrome. It does have the rocker chrome and the tall bumper guards. I understand that the bumper guards came on 12 bolt cars. Hope this helps.
Old Dec 21st, 03, 11:36 AM
Senior Tech

I am saying Chevy Rumble is wrong. X11 is never a Z/28.

The only 1st gen Camaro that did not have the rocker panel spears was the '68 RS.

The optional (V32) rear bumper guards were included with Z/28 equipment due to Federal bumper height requirements. They were also included with G31 HD rear springs.

CRG www.camaros.org
Old Dec 21st, 03, 12:56 PM
Senior Tech

Bryan

Ok, i kinda figured that. This car also has the d80 option as well as tach and gauges that I know are original. Does this car sound like it was ordered?
Old Dec 21st, 03, 01:03 PM
Senior Tech

Ref Williams post, I had a lucky defining moment when my lazy rear bought a copy of Car Craft magazine way back in 1984. It was the June issue, I guess I most likely picked it up in May. Page 56 started a "special camaro section", which at the time was a good enough hook to purchase. Chuck Hanson had a piece called "Truth or consequences" which gave a decent rundown of the options for a Z-28 and discussed the Norwood codes ( X-33,X-77 ). This was right about the time I was looking to buy a particular X-33 car, and the article helped convince me that the car was really as advertised. I bought the car in July 1984 and still own it!I was 21 years old at the time, and that article helped a young buyer from making a bad decision, or in other words helped me make a good decision. A latter issue of Super Chevy mag ( January 1987) listed X-11 cars as being a number of possible models, including Z-28, base car 327, and COPO. I wonder how many deals were struck based on THAT information. I dont subscribe to any auto mags anymore...

Rob

'69 X-33 since 1984

"Its all crazy..."
Old Dec 21st, 03, 01:14 PM
Senior Tech

Gary

My buddy has an X77 that had the quarter louvers. He bought it unrestored from the original owner. Maybe the original owner added the louvers, or maybe it was a factory mistake.
Old Dec 21st, 03, 01:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

"Tri-Tip"

That is a great piece of Camaro Z28 trivia about why the tall bumper guards were included as standard Z28 equipment! I actually did not know that Z28's sat lower than other models.

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
Old Dec 21st, 03, 01:30 PM
Senior Tech

Unlike Chrysler at that time, all Chevrolets were built to a dealer order. The order could be for stock or per customer requirements. I was able to review a dealers Camaro orders for 67-69 and noted that Z/28s were very tough to get, particularly early in the model year.

CRG www.camaros.org
Old Dec 21st, 03, 05:48 PM
Senior Tech

Mark

Z28's sit higher, than other cars. The V32 large bumper gaurds are mostly below the rear bumper and were used to bring the bumper height down to comply with federal requirments.
My Engine Compartment
Old Dec 21st, 03, 08:38 PM
Senior Tech

Covered in detail here:
http://www.camaros.org/numbers.shtml#XnnCodes
Old Dec 22nd, 03, 06:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

"Tri-Tip"

Mark C: Don't the regular bumper guards sit below the bumper? It appears that the large bumper guard only differ in that they extend above the bumper. Thanks for the info.
Gary

Sponsored Links
Advertisement