Team Camaro Tech banner

Feeling very lucky with 69 Z/28

7K views 23 replies 21 participants last post by  COPO 
#1 ·
I got a big surprise today in the mail. I purchased a 69 Hugger Orange Z/28 a couple years ago in North Carolina. The fella said he was the second owner and that he knew of the car since he was a young boy when it would come into his fathers gas station in his small town. He tried for years to buy the car only to be turned down but finally the owner gave in and sold him the car in 1996. It needs a total restoration but has the original drive train still in the car and still runs and drives. After my wife and I purchased it I contacted the N.C. DMV and found out they offered title histories. I sent in the form along with a few bucks, a few weeks later a full certified title history back to the original owner and dealership came. The guy we purchased it from was wrong, he was the third owner. I talked to the owner he purchased it from in 1996 and owner number two purchased it in Feb of 1971. We then tracked down the original owner. He had a great story as he was in the Navy and had just gotten back from Vietnam when he purchased it. He was stationed on the USS Muliphen. He owned the car about a year and sold it to buy a 1970 Yenko Nova LT1 that was also Hugger Orange. Boy wouldn't it be nice to know where that car is. I have read on the Yenko site where there were only ten Yenko Nova's sold that year in Hugger Orange. Well, anyway today I received in the mail from him a signed notarized original owner document that I had put together and PICTURES. He sent original Polaroid's of our 69Z when he had purchased it brand new and a picture of him leaning on the hood of his Yenko Nova. Feeling very lucky and just wanted to share! Not sure how good these will be after copying them and posting them.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks guys, yeah it kinda felt like Christmas yesterday when that came in the mail. We plan to stay in touch with him and hopefully get some current pictures with him and the car one day. He was obviously ahead of the curve back in the day with his specialty car purchases but unfortunately I don't think he has had any for years. I told my wife this was the cool icing on the cake and feel very fortunate to get his help.

#12 ·
That is really cool to connect with past owners and that they are willing to share their history.

What's really incredible is that NC will still divulge personal information from a VIN. MN won't and say it's because of the privacy act of 2001 after 911.
What freakin' privacy ??? The NSA knows more about all of us than we know about ourselves.

#18 ·
Thank you fellas! Hope to start a full correct frame off restoration soon. Would love to get a picture of the original owner with the Z one day like the one in the Yenko picture. He said he drove off in the Z on his wedding day back in 1970 and that there were a lot of pictures with the car but unfortunately after a bitter divorce a few years ago she kept most all of them.
Also, after posting these pictures I was contacted by the Yenko guys and with their help I did track down the Yenko and talked to the last registered owner. He totaled in the late 70's and it was then parted out :(

#19 ·
That's an awesome story, getting the complete owner history and pic, yeah Xmas in July..lol As mentioned earlier... being able to track the history all the way back to it's original owner is like the old proverbial saying "cherry on the sunday". It completes the full circle.

Congrats and looking forward to more )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.