GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Tag Team De-coding tags and numbers.

Old Oct 8th, 04, 02:56 PM
Senior Tech

Hello all,
I found this 837 alternator case for sale and wanted to make sure it is an original and not a restamp. All I got is this photograph right now. Let me know what you guys think. Also special thanks to Mark Canning for helping me post my picture.

[img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

[ 10-09-2004, 12:46 AM: Message edited by: 69 RS-Z ]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 8th, 04, 03:12 PM
Senior Tech

Real hard to say for certain Kelvin. Looks "real nice" but I am a bit curious why the numbers look so clean and so crisp (fresh like)for 35 yr old parts. Do you know if the case was tumbled? Tough one to call from the picture but I lean towards stamped? Still nice though.
Old Oct 8th, 04, 09:08 PM
Senior Tech

Thanks for the comments Graeme. How will I ever really know if these things are original? The resto guys are getting too good...
I do have picture of the inside of the case #1959918 if that helps any.
Old Oct 9th, 04, 07:40 AM
Senior Tech

Mark

How about this to compare it to. Don't know if this if an original one though. It's on Ebay now.

My Engine Compartment
Old Oct 9th, 04, 09:43 AM
Senior Tech

I'd say the latter of the two looks to be an original. The fonts appear the same on both but it's the fresh and clean cripness of the first one that makes the stamping look new. The second image appears to have an old look to it as does the depression of the stamping. You can see that the color of the stamped depression is the same as the exterior finish of the case and also the edges of some characters appear to have slight wear on them.

jmo...Graeme
Old Oct 9th, 04, 12:28 PM
Senior Tech

Mike

Millions were made. Also, millions were re-manufactured and sold by many re-builders over the years.

GM alternators where in vehicles other the GM, I had a 1970 Jeep Wagoneer that came with a Buick 350 engine with all GM parts on it like, alternator, distributor, regulator and so.

These manufactures used AC Delco alternators on some of their models in some years. Note-Not the alternator models shown here.
Jeep
American Motors (AMC)(Rambler)
International Harvester

There is no way you can say that those are not both original.

[ 10-10-2004, 06:50 AM: Message edited by: elcamino ]
Old Oct 10th, 04, 08:33 AM
Senior Tech

Gary

I don't think millions of 837's were made!! More like 30,000.

When a 836 sells for 20 bucks and a 837 sells for $300-500, it's easy to understand why folks look at the "age" and font of stampings as an indicator of restamp.
Old Oct 11th, 04, 02:09 AM
Senior Tech

Mark

And another restamped one. This one looks pretty good, but the ad it came from on Ebay says it's been restamped. I can see that the 3 in 837 is slightly rotated and the 7 is much deeper and a different font the the 7 in the 37A. Was probably and 831 originally.

[ 10-11-2004, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: Mark C ]
My Engine Compartment
Old Oct 11th, 04, 08:37 AM
Senior Tech

I got in touch with Jerry M & he thinks it is not original. I guess when the big $$$ come out, the scam artists are always there [img]graemlins/sad.gif[/img] . Can anyone recommend a reputable source for 837 alternators? Appreciate everyone's comments! [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]
Old Oct 11th, 04, 09:16 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

"Tri-Tip"

Try Jerry M. He gets them from time to time. I don't think there is any "source". Heartbeat City may be able to help. I have always wondered about Camaro Country who advertises in Hemmings. Did you ever find a distributor?

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
Old Oct 11th, 04, 11:58 AM
Senior Tech

Gary, I finally got an original 480 distributor verified by Jerry M. I'm only missing the 837 alt then I'm set. I have called Jerry about a 837 alternator from time to time but no luck with my car's build date yet. I'll try heartbeat city again. Thanks for the info! [img]graemlins/waving.gif[/img]
Old Oct 12th, 04, 09:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Dr. JW Prentice

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark C:
How about this to compare it to. Don't know if this if an original one though. It's on Ebay now.

I can vouch that this one is real - it's mine! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old Oct 12th, 04, 10:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Dr. JW Prentice

Quote:
Originally posted by Unreal:
I don't think millions of 837's were made!! More like 30,000.

When a 836 sells for 20 bucks and a 837 sells for $300-500.......
Actually, more like 600-700. 2 guys have offered me $700.00 to end the auction early!
Old Oct 13th, 04, 05:13 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Millions were made. Also, millions were re-manufactured and sold by many re-builders over the years.
I don't think so sonny, and it appears Hylton is a bit off with his calculation of how many 837 Alternators were issued as well. The 1100837 Alternator was the stock Delco unit for all Z/28 cars built in 1969 unless the car was special ordered with one of the following RPO options:

K79 Generator; 42-amp Delcotron
K85 Generator; 63-amp Delcotron

Given the fact that there were 20,302 Camaro Z/28 cars built in 1969 and only 338 total cars were optioned with the upgraded RPO, one would reason to guess that there were somewhere in the neighborhood of 20,250 of these alternators issued on 69 Z/28's. There were not millions, there were not just a few hundred, there were however thousands and yes they still exist. The problem with alternators is that companies like Wilson and Autorite rebuild them and accept cores.

With that being said, you could probably bet that 40% of those production numbers still exist on Z/28's, another 30% are probably rebuilt and exist on other cars, 15% exist in basement parts storage, and about 15% have been toasted in boneyards. Thats gives you an average chance of 1 in a 1000 finding one on eBay in the next 12 months that fits your date requirements and about a 70% chance of seeing a repop before a real one. (lol)

Not sure how accurate those percentiles are, but the production numbers are quite bang on. Some more useless trivia for those that like it. Gee thats me

[img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old Oct 13th, 04, 06:09 PM
Senior Tech

Claus S. Nielsen

Quote:
The 1100837 Alternator was the stock Delco unit for all Z/28 cars built in 1969 unless the car was special ordered with one of the following RPO options:
Wasn't it also the altenator used for 396/375 and COPO cars?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement