GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

Old Oct 5th, 04, 01:57 PM
Senior Tech

Craig

I have been reading many past posts on replacing subframe bushings as i am looking to do this soon. It sounds as if i can do this without tearing the car all apart which is great news. However, today when i had the car on the lift doing other things i took a closer look at the bushings under the seat areas. I put a wrench on both bolts and they just spin like they are stripped. It appears to me the bushings are the original ones and are completely shot. Since i didnt dig to deep today what is the deal with the old bolts just spinning. What are they attached to up above and how big a deal is it gonna be to get them out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 5th, 04, 03:01 PM
Senior Tech

Those bolts attach to big square nuts that are welded (at least they're supposed to be welded) under the seat reinforcement brace. If they are spinning, you'll have to remove the seats and pull the front carpet forward to get at the nuts. You may want to try tacking the nuts back down before you undo the bolts, if there is any metal to tack to.
Old Oct 7th, 04, 02:40 AM
Senior Tech

Scott

Actually the nut is confined within a small cage for both the cowl and under seat locations. It sounds like the cage has either broken free from the spot welds or rust has eaten it away. The underseat cage nut is difficult to reach- you will have to remove the seat and pull up the carpet as stated above. Here is a picture of the cage nut and seat brace:

The circled area is where the nut is located under the seat brace. You might be able to get a pair of vice grips on it through the slot, or be able to wedge something in there and hold the nut in place.
Old Oct 7th, 04, 01:07 PM
Senior Tech

Craig

I pulled the carpet up and looked at the nut. Everything looks fine with it. Absolutely no rust and it is still secured in there. Im not sure at this point what the deal is with the old bolts and why they are loose/spinning. They might just be loose as the old bushings have dried up so much that they have shrunk. I dont dare turn the bolts to much. I ordered all new bushings/bolts and im gonna wait till i have them until i really start wrenching on the old ones to see what the deal is. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement