GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Engine General Engine Discussion.

Old Dec 1st, 01, 08:40 PM

Question

Hello fellow Camaro people;
I am doing a rebuild on an 85 IROC with a TPI 305. I'd like to do some mild modifications, including some decent heads. I read in a Camaro book that the HO Camaro heads were the cast iron version of the aluminum Corvette heads. I've also read that Vortec heads are some of the greatest heads GM has produced for the buck. Which one is the better head? And will these heads be TPI friendly? I can get the HO heads free, and a pair of Vortecs for $200. What will work best? I plan on using headers, a good exhaust system, roller valve train (roller rockers, and lifters), and about 9.5:1 compression. Thanks!

.B.C. - ixfn@hotmail.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 2nd, 01, 08:37 AM
Senior Tech

I don't think your TPI intake will work on the vortec heads. Different bolt pattern.
Old Dec 2nd, 01, 12:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

scott

It would be to much of a pain to convert this setup to run the vortec's. It would be fun but a hassle. Go with some other heads.

------------------
SCOTT
69 RS-SS 396 4-SPEED
Old Dec 2nd, 01, 12:57 PM
Senior Tech

The 305HO heads are decent heads, but they are not copies of vette heads. They use a smaller intake valve, pressed in studs, etc. They still work very well on a 350, and will give you a good boost in compression. The 305 vortec heads I am not sure about...350 vortec heads are great but I am not sure what the difference between the 305's and 350's vortecs are.

------------------
'78 chevy truck-355, 9.4-1, vortec heads, XE268, vortec rpm intake, 750 edelbrock, flowtech headers and terminators.

'77 Nova-slowly progressing project.

'78 Nova-parts car?

'95 Lumina 3.4L DOHC 210hp daily driver
Old Dec 4th, 01, 03:08 PM
Senior Tech

shouldnt the vortec heads have the same bolt pattern as the intake if they are from the same year like 91 or something i heard the vortec heads to pretty good but i have never used them.
Old Dec 4th, 01, 04:17 PM

The Vortec heads in fact will not work, only with an Edelbrock Performer RPM, or Victor Jr. intake (both single pane). Basically I just want to know if I will have an advantage using the HO heads over the stock TPI heads. I can't seem to find any specs on either except that the HOs have 1.94/1.50 valves.

[This message has been edited by Chevy408 (edited 12-04-2001).]
Old Dec 4th, 01, 09:38 PM
Senior Tech

The biggest valves factory installed in 305 heads is 1.84 intakes and 1.50 exhausts. I am not positive but I dont think the TPI heads are the swirl port ones...if not, you will see no gain swapping heads (they may in fact be the same castings). Vortec heads require a dedicated intake as they only use 4 bolts per side, and the bolt angles are quite a bit different. You can get a vortec pattern performer, performer rpm (hi-rise dual plane), 2bbl victor jr., and a super victor from edelbrock. GM also sells vortec pattern intakes for TBI and 4bbl's. As of yet, I dont know of any TPI vortec base, but they may be out there.

------------------
'78 chevy truck-355, 9.4-1, vortec heads, XE268, vortec rpm intake, 750 edelbrock, flowtech headers and terminators.

'77 Nova-slowly progressing project.

'78 Nova-parts car?

'95 Lumina 3.4L DOHC 210hp daily driver
Old Dec 5th, 01, 05:51 PM
Tech Team

What is the casting number on the heads? 305 HO heads are 1.84 intakes with 58cc chambers. personally I would drop the 305 and go with a 350.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement