Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Engine General Engine Discussion.

Old Mar 10th, 02, 05:20 AM

Why is the chevy starter so difficult to adjust. I just finished with installing a starter on my 400SB with a 153-tooth flywheel. The issues were-
1. 3rd bolt hole was missing. I created a jig based on another block with the 3 bolt holes. This was interesting since I had to do this in the car. With the jig I had no issues. How have others done this?
2. Bendix depth. I found no information on this but found that with the 400 Balance plate installed my bendix did not have 100% contact with the flywheel. I needed to machine the nose stop of the starter, then shim the back of the starter to push the bendix as far out as possible. Now I have 100% tooth contact with .010 protruding past the flywheel. This looks perfect. Is this common?
3. Now the gears were to tight and found that I needed a total of 1/16 worth of shims to get the right tooth mesh.

My question is how do I replace a chevy starter without removing the bell housing? This seams excessive. If I did not do this process it would have eaten the flywheel to pieces.

Frank

[This message has been edited by NJchevyman (edited 03-11-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 10th, 02, 05:39 PM
Senior Tech

When you say "the third bolt hole was missing" which hole are you talking about?A 153 tooth flywheel should use a starter that has the mounting bolts even with the back of the engine.A 168 tooth flywheel uses a starter that has the bolts offset or diagonal.How is your starter mounted with the two examples I've given you?
Old Mar 11th, 02, 03:27 AM

My 400 was drilled with the offset or diagonal bolt setup. The 153 tooth starter needed the inner bolt hole by the oilpan/flywheel corner drilled.

[This message has been edited by NJchevyman (edited 03-11-2002).]
Old Mar 11th, 02, 06:16 AM
Senior Tech

Your sure it's a 153 tooth flywheel?The 153 tooth flywheel is 12-3/4 in diameter and the 168 is 14 inches.Your block is drilled for the bigger flywheel.Maybe this is some of your problem.
Old Mar 11th, 02, 02:26 PM

Its an internal balanced 153 tooth 12.75" flywheel for an 85 vette. The 86 vettes have a 12.75" external balanced flywheel for the one-piece seal. I wish I could have fit the larger flywheel 14" 163 tooth flywheel but the commbination will not fit in the body. Also the 153 tooth flywheel has less mass.

Frank
Old Mar 11th, 02, 07:39 PM
Senior Tech

Now you did say in your first post you have a 400 smallblock which you know is externally balanced right?!Now your saying you put on a internally balanced flywheel from a 85 vette which is a 350, correct? This will not work!!
Old Mar 12th, 02, 12:17 PM

With a balance plate from http://www.goodson.com/instr/FBP-25.pdf and an 8" damper it will. Additionally I sent the entire assembly out to be balanced. A balance plate was used to reduced the time and effort to try to rebalence the entire assembly for internal balance. As I am writing this, I found the instruction sheet on-line and it answered my original questions about the starter. In other words you will have issues and it will require machining.

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement