Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Engine General Engine Discussion.

Old May 1st, 04, 01:01 PM
Tech Team

Where is a good place to install this canister filter on a first gen? The way I'm invisioning doing it is to have a short, slightly bent line from the pump to the filter so that it is just under the lower radiator hose. Then, continue the line up and around the lower radiator hose on its way to the carb.

Pictures would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 1st, 04, 01:13 PM
Senior Tech

Royce

I don't think I have personally ever seen one of these mounted in the engine compartment. If you plan on using hard line you will have to mount the filter to the engine or the line will break sooner or later. If you want to mount it anywhere besides the engine you will need to use flexble hose (steel braided would be my choice). I cannot picture where you plan to mount this. Do you already have it in hand? If not, maybe you don't realize how big they are.

I think a much better choice would be to mount it somewhere near the tank on the frame rail.
(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
Old May 1st, 04, 07:52 PM
Tech Team

Yeah, the measurements are in the Jegs catalog. I was going to go buy it tomorrow (actually, later today since it's so late, err early).

Yes I'm using hard line, though I suppose I could use steel braided with some AN to NPT and vice-versa fittings.

I'd planned on mounting it in the engine compartment so it could be between the pump and carb. After looking over the engine compartment a second time, I figured I could just use a male-to-male pipe nipple from the pump to the filter instead of a small section of hard line like I mentioned in my original post. That could act as a partial mounting bracket (I would also bend something up to reinforce it more, as well). The tricky part would be getting the filter to line up in the correct vertical position when everything tightens up. I figure I could just wrap the threads with some teflon tape so that it tightens where I need it to be.
Old May 2nd, 04, 04:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Jody

That was a popular filter 20 years ago, but I'd never run them anymore. Kinda big, restrictive also. There are so many inline filters now for EFI or carbed applications that are easier to fit and look a lot better.

Jody

My New Car Site

Lateral-G.net

next project.... 73 Camaro RS street/road race car
Old May 2nd, 04, 05:20 AM
Senior Tech

Bill

Quote:
Originally posted by elprup:
Yeah, the measurements are in the Jegs catalog. I was going to go buy it tomorrow (actually, later today since it's so late, err early).

Yes I'm using hard line, though I suppose I could use steel braided with some AN to NPT and vice-versa fittings.

I'd planned on mounting it in the engine compartment so it could be between the pump and carb. After looking over the engine compartment a second time, I figured I could just use a male-to-male pipe nipple from the pump to the filter instead of a small section of hard line like I mentioned in my original post. That could act as a partial mounting bracket (I would also bend something up to reinforce it more, as well). The tricky part would be getting the filter to line up in the correct vertical position when everything tightens up. I figure I could just wrap the threads with some teflon tape so that it tightens where I need it to be.
From what I understand, you are supposed to put the canister filter between the tank and pump, not the pump and carb. You want both the pump and filter in the back of the car, and mount the pump lower than the tank so it can be gravity fed. Electric fuel pumps like the good 'ol holley blue don't pull fuel nearly as well as they push it.

And use thread sealant, not tape.

Here's how we did it on my brother's Chevelle:

Old May 2nd, 04, 09:08 AM
Tech Team

Hmmm, I think I'm going to stay home today. Thanks for the replies. I think I'm just going to install the hard line and stick with the carb's fuel inlet filter just so I can get the car up and running again. I now think I'll go to an inline filter with steel braided line sometime in the future.
Old May 4th, 04, 07:25 PM
Tech Team

Okay, now my interest is on Holley's 10.5" long black and purple inline filter. Jeg's website states it's for high flow fuel systems, but I'm just partial to purple.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...65&prmenbr=361

The replacement paper element is $33! Does anyone know of a cheaper (read generic) alternative for this filter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement