Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

Old Feb 8th, 02, 02:03 AM
Tech Team

Talking

I'm restoring a 1968 Camaro Convertible and want to install an AM/FM Stereo-CD player, preferably with a removable face plate.

It's not a custom dash or anything.

Is this going to be a big problem? I really don't want to cut holes in the dash, but do want a really good stereo system.

Any suggestions as to what models I can use and also how difficult this is going to be?

Do you think a reputable car stereo dealer can do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 8th, 02, 03:19 AM
Senior Tech

it is pretty easy to cut a nice looking hole to mount the newer stereo, but you WILL get a lot of flack from the resto purists who will have a coronary when they see how you desecrated such a beautiful dash. but it can look nice- better than a stock stereo, in my opinion. and the new stereo is just a lot more useful than the original.
what you could do to keep from cutting up the original parts would be to get a different dash insert (or whatever it is called) from another car in the boneyard. that way, if you sell it, you can put the unmolested dash back in. they really aren't that hard to swap out.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik
Old Feb 8th, 02, 04:07 AM
Senior Tech

The hardest part is going to be installing the speakers.
I have a 69 convertible and was able to install two 5 1/4" components in the front. The Mids went in the kick panels (yes I had to cut them and trim a bit of metal behind the kick panel). I installed the tweeters in the corner of the dash with out having to drill anything (ran the wire under the dash).
I installed two 3.5" speakers in the center dash area after making my own mounting plate.
I also installed two 5 1/4" full range speakers in the rear arm rests. In my 69 there are diagonal supports just behind the rear arm rest. In order to get my large magnet speakers to fit flush I had to fabricate new supports that were not as wide.
For subs I am in the process of making a custom speaker box for the trunk. You can fit a nice size box just under the top when it is down.

I did cut the dash to install the new stereo.
You can email me for any questions. john.c.rager@xo.com

------------------
Old Feb 8th, 02, 05:58 AM

Hello, We do carry custom auto sound! I have a radio that will fit in your stock location, no cutting with a built in amp and RCA pre-outs to run an external amp if you wish!! I also carry the secret audio hidden system with the RF remote that works up to 40 feet away from the car! I have 6 disc changers to go along with them as well. Email me for more info and pricing if you want, we also have speakers that fit stock locations!

Thanks
MAtt
Old Feb 8th, 02, 08:41 AM
Tech Team

Cool

I saw a 67 with a full size CD deck put into the glove box. It looked really sharp. If anything, if theives can't see it, maybe they won't try to steal it?

------------------
1968 RS/SS 454 TH400 Black Deluxe Interior
"Another Day.... Another $100.00 worth of parts..."
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/jgrock/1try.htm
Old Feb 8th, 02, 03:44 PM
Tech Team

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rafab1:
I'm restoring a 1968 Camaro Convertible and want to install an AM/FM Stereo-CD player, preferably with a removable face plate.

It's not a custom dash or anything.

Is this going to be a big problem? I really don't want to cut holes in the dash, but do want a really good stereo system.

Any suggestions as to what models I can use and also how difficult this is going to be?

Do you think a reputable car stereo dealer can do this?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

another nice option is taking your stock radio (am) and having it updated they use the same body and face plate but change the guts out. check out antique automobile radio 800-933-4926 sales@antiqueautomobileradio.com they can also add a cd player to it.
Old Feb 9th, 02, 02:20 AM
Senior Tech

David

Just an addition of 67rs6sdd post: www.antiqueautomobileradio.com

Everybody could think of putting www. in front of the e-mail adress, but I thought it couldn't hurt anybody if I post the URL

Welcome to the best site on the web, 67rs6sdd!

------------------
David
I don't suffer from insanity.....I enjoy every minute of it!
'67 & '68 camaro SS (1:18)
'69 camaro RS/SS (1:18)
'70 chevelle SS blown (1:18)
only $1800 away from a '67 RS (1:1)
Pics http://hobbystage.net/camaro/camaro_crew

[This message has been edited by DL (edited 02-09-2002).]
Old Feb 9th, 02, 10:10 AM
Senior Tech

67 Camaros Rock

Cool

I saw a 69 Chevelle with a tissue dispenser mounted under the dash. Inside of it there was C/D player. This was very cool. You can get the dispenser from most any Chevelle parts supplier. I don't know if a Camaro one is the same or not? I think the dispenser is repro of one offered in a 67 Chevelle, not sure though. Just for shows only he puts a tissue coming out out the top of it. The face folds down to put a new box of tissues in.
Old Feb 10th, 02, 11:44 AM

Well here is my plans for installing a modern radio in my 68'. I bought a sheet a stainless steel that I am going to fit to the original plate. I am going to put a set of Sun 3 pod guages where the original radio mount is. Note that there will be no cutting of the dash. Then I'm going to build a housing for the new head unit to fit under the dash and on top of the console. I like this better than putting the unit into the glove box area. I may build the mounting box out of wood,stainless, or plexiglass. I really haven't decided which I'd like better out of the 3 materials.

...Ron

[This message has been edited by 68 RS (edited 02-10-2002).]
Old Feb 10th, 02, 04:29 PM

Lightbulb

[ Check your e-mail I sent you a picture of how I mounted radio cd player in my 68 A good set of 6x9 infinty speakers will fit in rear deck speaker hole and the other one can go in rear deforster hole don't cut rear deck sound will travel through holes. Mount all screws in to rear deck then get a new rear deck cover for stereo speakers. You will not see any trace off of speakers on rear deck. There is a plate that has 2 speakers that will fit in dash where stock speaker goes. I have amp mounted behind spare tire. Stock AM radio is still in dash
Old Jul 12th, 03, 06:26 PM
Senior Tech

Has anyone had antique automobile radio convert their AM? How was the quality?
Old Aug 12th, 04, 05:03 PM
Senior Tech

Brandon

I said hell with it. I completely redid the interior stock, but drew the line at the stereo. Ok shoot me I cut my dash, cut out the rears and adapted my doors below the cranks for 6" three ways hidden below the panel. I didnt buy my car to impress those that wish to have a completely stock/ origional car. I bought it to enjoy. I'm not tossing a cd player in the trunk or glove box.I don't recall GM designing them with a radio in mind. If someone steals the car, yeah I'll puke, but it's insured and either I get it back or the money to buy another and fix it up like I did this one. Bottom line, who drives a show car? Mines not for show, just pleasure.

Brandon J.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Team Camaro Tech > Team Camaro > Archives > Tech 2002      Current Topic: Installing a Modern Stereo System in a '68 Camaro
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.