Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Camaro Tech General Tech Area
For best results use specific forums

Old Apr 3rd, 04, 03:19 AM

Hi guys and gals ! Probably the wrong place to post this, but I need a little help. Just bought a 69 camaro. 350 with AC. Heater motor is noisy. Looks like someone has been in the inner fender before and cut about an 8"x8" square access in the wheel house. Is this where to access the fan motor ?? Should be an easy job, but I've never had a Camaro and thought I'd ask the pros first !! Thanks !

[ 04-05-2004, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: Tom Hendricks ]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 3rd, 04, 11:06 AM
Senior Tech

I know folks hate to remove the fender but it really isn't that hard. Just tape the edges of the metal to prevent chips. Remove the hood and hinge. There are 4 or 5 bolts in the frount and 5 in the rear. Keep track of where the shims go on the rear mounts. Pull the inner and outer fender as a unit. Reinstall in the reverse direction.
Old Apr 3rd, 04, 02:52 PM
Senior Tech

Pat

Welcome Tom, I had the same experience with my 67. Someone took an air chisel to the inner fender! The A/C unit is the issue here makes it darn near impossible to get to. The inner fender also cant be removed without removing the hoses from the compressor. They run threw it! I have seen illustrations for replacement of the blower by removing lower fender bolts and pulling the fender out and blocking it with a 2x4. I think removing the entire fender would be the safe route.
Old Apr 5th, 04, 07:27 AM
Senior Tech

Iíve seen several inner fenders that were cut in one way or another to access the blower motor. If your inner fender is already cut for access, it should make the job of changing the blower motor much easier.
Old Apr 5th, 04, 08:24 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by 36j1967:
The inner fender also cant be removed without removing the hoses from the compressor. They run threw it!
Is that on '67 cars? My '68 did not have any hoses that passed through either the wheelwell or the core support.

On RS cars the wheelwell cannot be as easily removed. The pivot pin for the RS door passes through the front of the wheelwell.

The wheelwell can be left on the car but it takes some work to get the fender back on without damage. Two sets of hands are necessary.
Old Apr 5th, 04, 10:30 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I'll tear into it next week. There are no hoses through the inner fender. Hopefully the previous access will let me get at it.
Old Apr 6th, 04, 06:44 AM
Tech Team

Thumbs down

Are you serious?! I have to replace my heater core on my Big Block 68 RS/SS. Is removing the fender the only way this can be done?
Old Apr 6th, 04, 06:57 AM
Senior Tech

Heater Core is done from inside the car, you will have a few nuts on the engine side to remove, one possibly behind only accessible be pulling the lower part of the fender away but its doable without removing the fender, just scratches your arm up a little. Once these nuts are removed then it allows you to drop the box under the dash which contains the heater core.
69 Camaro and 63 Nova
Old Apr 6th, 04, 07:05 AM
Tech Team

Angry

Thanks, Nothing works right unless you bleed on it a little first away.
Old Apr 6th, 04, 07:34 AM
Senior Tech

Although Iíve seen several inner fenders hacked up to change the motor, I have seen one that was done nicely with the edges of a rectangular hole flanged with a tight fitting door and clip-on nuts behind the bolt holes. Someone made it to look like it was a factory access hole. Iíve considered doing the same to mine before I install the front sheet metal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement