GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Camaro Tech General Tech Area
For best results use specific forums

Old Aug 16th, 04, 11:35 AM
Senior Tech

Ingersoll Rand has two compressors that have very similar numbers. One is the 2340L5 from the TS30 line. The other is the TS4L5 from the TS line. The first is a two cylinder V arrangement 2 stage - pretty conventional. The second has one cylinder and is an inline 2 stage.

Anybody have any experience with either of these particular compressors? Anybody have first hand info (or even an opinion) on a V versus an inline design?

Ed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 17th, 04, 01:41 AM

<Jake 68's Rule

On an inline, the last cylinder gets the hottest. Pulley is the fan, cools off the first cylinder (1st stage), second cylinder gets even hotter (second stage).

Picture or website?
Old Aug 17th, 04, 03:17 AM
Senior Tech

Northern Tools has both of them. (Cut and paste the link.)

Link for 2340:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...tegoryId=90143

Link for TS4:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...tegoryId=90143

Note that the 2340 has two cylinders and the TS4 has one. I can get the TS4 for $999 at Sears, so the price is the same for the two.

Everett, your explanation works great for a V design, but doesn't explain how a single cylinder design works. One sales rep I spoke to said the 2340 is from their industrial line and the TS4 is more for the home owner. He also thought the single cylinder design was quieter, but that he preferred the V design.

Ed
Old Aug 17th, 04, 04:22 AM

<Jake 68's Rule

Now I have seen the pictures and read the descriptions, I'd go with the twin cylinder.

One cylinder is working hard for two stages, plus its alum piston and alum rod. Yes, single is quieter. V design has been around a long time.
Old Aug 17th, 04, 11:19 AM
Senior Tech

My head seems to somewhere other than on my shoulders. The inline version still has two cylinders, they are just side by side, not in a V. Now the description of the cooling of the two cylinders makes more sense to me.

Why are aluminum rods and pistons a problem - the cylinders themselves are still cast iron?

Ed
Old Aug 18th, 04, 01:43 AM

<Jake 68's Rule

No problem with with alum pistons and cast iron cylinders, alum rods are always under compression on compression stroke and very elastic.

Cast iron stays its intended shape better. Yes, c/iron adds weight, but, imagine the longevity. Providing the oil gets changed regularly, and the tank drained, you'll have the comp in your will...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Team Camaro Tech > First Generation Camaro Info and Tech - 1967- 1969 "Where it all started" > Camaro Tech      Current Topic: compressor: inline 2 stage versus V 2 stage
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.