Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Restoration Corner Where originality comes first

Old Jan 11th, 05, 03:38 AM
Senior Tech

hey guys, does anyone know where i could get info and pics on 69 convert windshield installation. i need a visual on where and how the moulding clips attach and some info on proper installation. thx stan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 11th, 05, 04:44 PM
Tech Team

Hey stan I need the same for a 67.
Old Jan 11th, 05, 05:31 PM
Senior Tech

I have the moldings off my 69, so I can shoot you some pics for location of the clips and how they mount. I won't be able to post them, but I can email them would be Friday, as I am going to be home tomorrow).

As far as installation, I assume what you mean is the windshield itself? I put a new one in the 68, but being a vert that was rusty underneath, the windshield frame was tweaked just enough to cause trouble. I got the original style seal from Ricks, stuck it to the frame opening, and found that the driver side top had a 1/4" gap. So, I taped it down good and called it a night. This was NOT my first windshield install...

When I came out in the morning, I had a nice crack across that corner. Could have been a bad windshield, over-aggressive taping, temp change, whatever...

Anyway, I ended up using one of those come-to-you install vendors (Safelite), and let them urethane it in. Urethane works much better because the frame doesn't have to be perfect, but it's not original. Plus, if you have someone else install it, at least you won't be buying it more than once.

I am pretty sure you cannot "overfill" the urethane to the point where the moldings don't go back on.

Just my experience with vert windshields. Like I said, I can send pics (or get off my lazy butt and get set up with Photobucket) if you tell me exactly what you need to see.
Old Jan 12th, 05, 04:59 AM
Senior Tech

thanks some pics would be great. i didnt take out the windshield the body shop did but now there asking some questions about reinstalling it? my e-mail is 1969camaro@comcast.net thx again
Old Jan 12th, 05, 11:25 AM
Senior Tech

Do you know what specifically they are wondering about?
Old Jan 12th, 05, 12:41 PM
Senior Tech

sonny

maybe its just me, but if the body shop is asking questions about installing a windshield. i'd just call a glass company and get lifetime warranty against stress cracks and leaking for as long as you own the car....oem quality winshields are 150.00-175.00 installed. my 2 cents...
Old Jan 12th, 05, 04:46 PM
Senior Tech

i need some pics on the clips. i have been looking through all distributors and it seems they have different clips some say for convertibles and some dont specify. i think i bought every type but im not sure which to use now or how they go on? i have a convert. and i dont have pins, mine were screwed on (not sure if pins were broke off or that some cars had screws?) as for the body shop asking questions, its probably because i have been kinda of anal and there just being cautious about anything they do to this car. they are more than qualified to install a windshield, but they dont work on muscle cars every day. but some pics of the clips would be greatly appr. thx stan
Old Jan 14th, 05, 09:06 AM
Senior Tech

Stan, here's what I have on my 69.

There are 13 clip locations up the sides and across the top, as indicated by the white arrows on the windshield.

The clips on the driver side A pillar and across the top are the "correct" vert style, like Ricks part WM-36.

Two of the clips on the passenger side A pillar are coupe style, like Ricks WM-26.

All of my 69 clips are on with screws; on my 68 most if not all the clips were on pins. I did not check the date code on the windshield, so it could have been replaced and the clips are not as original.
Old Jan 14th, 05, 05:32 PM
Senior Tech

thanks for the picks eric, my clips also use screws. do you know anything about lower clips or how they were installed? i bought these lower clips from NPD part#c-10093-50k. i saw them in there catolog and they specified for 69 convertible windshield so i bought them thinking to put all new clips in but i never heard anyone talk about them. from what i understand they clip to the lower moulding and also hold down the back of the cowl panel.
Old Jan 16th, 05, 10:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Cruzin "the 82"

stan,

i didn my 69 vert windshield a while ago. back then, from what i gathered, vert windshield clips were not reproduced. i had to buy the coupe clips and modify them by cutting them. so, half of my clips are for a coupe and the other half for a vert. sorry i dont have pics.

another thing that i understand is that the vert clips were screwed in and did not have pins to secure. i still had my original windshield on it when i first bought it in 90.

angel
Old Jan 16th, 05, 11:56 AM
Senior Tech

The lower molding has those slide clips in it, which are then secured to the top of the cowl with screws. You should see a number of 1/8" diameter holes across the top of the cowl (actually on the lip of the metal dash top panel). The next to outer hole on each side (driver and passenger) is where the L-shaped bracket that the bottom of the windshield rests on goes; the remaining homes hold the molding down.

After that lower molding is screwed on, the back of the cowl vent grill panel slips underneath, and then you screw in the four or so screws across the front.

I'm glad to know that some of these pillar and upper frame clips came with screws from the factory, so that makes mine "original". Kinda tough to replace clips with the glass in the car, though...
Old Jan 16th, 05, 03:56 PM

Dano

I have not installed a 67 or 68 yet, but I did my 69 car last summer... My advice is to let a professional urethane it in! Butyl tape was formerly used and has a very low tensil strength! Urethane will keep the glass in the car in the event of a serious accident, it provides better protection against leaks, and cures much better than butyl (which never fully cures!)
As for the brands...I like Pilkington, PPG, SGC, and a few others I can't remember right now. Pilkington Classics division has the ability to print any info you want on the info tag. It would give the impression that the windshield was factory installed. The glass runs in the few hundreds + shipping + installation. For a daily driver, I wouldn't bother, but for a concourse job, it's the only way to go! As for the moldings...If it has studs in the pinchweld (frame) then rectangular clips with "v" notches slide onto the studs around the windshield, then the chrome strips snap onto the clips. For the bottom trim piece on a 69 car, there are two pointy pieces on either end which go in between the lip of the fender and the corner of the windshield (where it meets the corner of the door), then you can slide the retainers into psition over the existing screw holes and drill them in with ease. Hope that helps...

Dan [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]
Old Jan 17th, 05, 04:06 AM
Senior Tech

again thx for all your advice and help. one last question, my windshield is not original, and i read orig. glass could be different thickness then a replacement glass so that changes what butal tape i should use 5/16 or 3/8. do you know the thickness of orig windshield?
Old Jan 17th, 05, 05:46 AM
Senior Tech

Dave

I just insatalled my windshield. It was a replacement, not the origonal using 5/16" tape and the glass is to low. With the glass and molding installed theres a gap between the glass and moldings I'm going to remove the glass and use 3/8" tape
Black 2010 Electra Glide Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Team Camaro Tech > First Generation Camaro Info and Tech - 1967- 1969 "Where it all started" > Restoration Corner      Current Topic: windshield install
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.