69 Camaros on television and movies - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

Old Apr 20th, 05, 07:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Joel

Default 69 Camaros on television and movies

Anyone like seeing 69 Camaros show up in movies? Years ago (in the 80's) I watched a tv movie that featured a young mechanic who raced his 69 Z28 on the weekends. He had a steady girl who left their hometown in the end for an acting/arts career. To make a short story long, the last scene shows his trophy beside him in the front seat of his pickup as he pulls the camaro down the road on his trailer. I remember one drag strip scene where he beats a Plymouth. Another scene was in a garage tuning the engine. Has anyone seen this one? The guy kinda reminded me of Patrick Swayze, but a search on his early movies shows nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 20th, 05, 07:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Scott

Default Re: 69 camaros on television and movies

Is there any reason to watch (or own) the movie Better Off Dead except for the black 67 (or 68, I forget) Camaro?

Vent Windows Forever! ... My junk ... NastyZ28 ... NJ Camaros & Firebirds

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
Old Apr 20th, 05, 09:16 PM
Senior Tech

http://www.betteroffdeadcamaro.com/

Old Apr 21st, 05, 04:45 AM
Senior Tech

"Aloha Bobby and Rose" "Heroes". Not sure if they were '69 but two sweet first gen camaros, one with fender flares.
'89 Chestnut QH Gelding 'Jack', 1 HP
Old Apr 21st, 05, 05:23 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by radial72
Nice. I just got the new super chevy yesterday and one of the feature cars was inspired by that one. Quite the timing coincidence.

Vent Windows Forever! ... My junk ... NastyZ28 ... NJ Camaros & Firebirds

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
Old Apr 21st, 05, 06:44 AM
Senior Tech

OTHER MOVIE CAMAROS

Almost Famous
©2000 Columbia Pictures, directed by Cameron Crowe
This story revolves around “William Miller,“ a character played near the start by Michael Angarano. Before he grows up to become a writer for Rolling Stone Magazine, he watches his older sister leave home with her boyfriend in a blue 1969 Camaro coupe. The car has rally wheels, a black interior, dual exhaust, a rear spoiler, white Z/28 stripes, and the standard bowtie emblem between the tail-lights. This Camaro does not have the style trim option.

Aloha Bobby and Rose
©1975 Cine Artists International, Inc., directed by Floyd Mutrux
Paul Le Mat plays “Bobby“ in this movie. You might remember Paul Le Mat as “John Milner“ from American Grafitti, where he drove a yellow 1932 Ford 5-window coupe. This time he's driving a souped-up 1968 Camaro coupe around the streets of Los Angeles. It's red with black accents, deep slotted aluminum wheels, fender flares, side-pipes, high-back bucket seats, and a roll bar. Other modifications include a 1969-style ducted hood, a custom tail-light panel, and a rear spoiler that has been cut into three pieces and blended into the body. This Camaro gets painted black near the end of the film.

At Close Range
©1985 Cinema '85, directed by James Foley
Christopher Walken drives a silver 1969 Camaro Z/28 while playing the role of “Brad Whitewood, Sr.“ in this film. This car looks completely stock right down to its bias-ply Good Years. Some obvious options are the ducted hood, a black deluxe interior, and a rosewood steering wheel. This Camaro never becomes a main story point, but there are quite a few good shots of it. A green 1970 Chevelle SS396 is also featured in this film.
Current location of this Camaro: Unknown.

Bad Boys
©1995 Columbia Picures, directed by Michael Bay
Will Smith and Martin Lawrence play a pair of detectives in Miami that spring into action after some heroin is stolen from the police lock-up. In one sequence, the bad guys race around town in a 1968 Camaro covered in grey primer. It has rally wheels, a flat hood, and the optional style trim along the tops of the doors. This car is missing the grille, headlight bezels, front running lights, and fender emblems. A crude pair of black Z/28 stripes are painted on the hood. The tail-light panel and the rear spoiler have been painted black too. The bad guys accidentally drive this Camaro into some barrels of ether. A violent explosion results. The entire roof flies off and the car burns to the ground while the camera rolls.
Current location of this Camaro: Melted

Charlie's Angels
©2000 Columbia Tristar, directed by McG
A 1969 Camaro convertible makes several appearances in this film, squealing in and out of scenes with style. It looks like an original pace car sporting a deluxe orange houndstooth interior, an automatic shifter on the console, a standard steering wheel, and rally wheels. The body is white with orange stripes and there are no pace car decals on the doors. It's driven by Drew Barrymore as the angel named “Dylan.“
Current location of this Camaro: On display at Star Cars Museum in Gatlinburg, Tennessee

Christine
©1983 Columbia Pictures, directed by John Carpenter
A high school bully named “Buddy Repperton“ is played by William Ostrander in this movie. The car he drives is a metallic charcoal 1967 Camaro coupe with a black interior. It appears to be a base 327 car with a flat hood and no spoilers. A set of aftermarket aluminum wheels and a pair of black Z/28 stripes give this Camaro a custom look. You'll cringe when you see it get destroyed by the demonic 1958 Plymouth Fury named “Christine.“
Current location of this Camaro: Probably beyond recovery, but anything is possible.

Cop and a Half
©1993 Universal City Studios, directed by Henry Winkler
A blue 1968 Camaro coupe is featured throughout this film. It's driven by Burt Reynolds in the role of Police Detective “Nick McKenno.“ This Camaro has SS396 badges, rally wheels, and a rear spoiler. It also has a flat non-SS hood that looks out of place. The interior is white with a center console. A stirrup shifter controls an automatic transmission.
Current location of this Camaro: This car was on display for a time at Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida. In September of 2002, it was moved into storage. Its condition is described as very rough.

Eat My Dust
©1976 New World Productions Inc., directed by Charles B. Griffith
Ron Howard is “Hoover Niebold“ in this movie. He tries to impress a girl that he meets at the local race track by stealing one of the race cars - a bright red 1968 Camaro coupe nicknamed “Mabel.“ There's a number “8“ beneath the driver's name on each door and “Follow Me“ is written across the rear spoiler. This car has wheel flares, vaned aluminum wheels, a roll bar, push bars in front and back, a fuel cel mounted in the trunk, a flat panel in place of the tail-lights, and lots of racing decals. If you watch closely, it looks like two Camaros might have played the part of Mabel. One of them has a Rally Sport front valance and 1967-style RS trim along the bottom of the doors, the other does not.

Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers
©1989 Magnum Pictures, Inc., directed by Dominique Othenin-Girard
A 1967 Camaro convertible is woven into this story. It's driven by “Mike“ at first, a character played by Jonathan Chapin. Mike meets a gruesome end before too long, and the masked Michael Myers drives the Camaro around after that point. The car is dark blue with a black standard interior and a black convertible top. It has some aftermarket wheels, a flat hood, and no spoilers. This Camaro is completely devoid of emblems. Michael Myers winds up crashing this car into a tree, and it's on fire when the audience sees it for the last time.
Current location of this Camaro: Possibly burned beyond repair.

Independence Day
©1982 Warner Brothers, directed by Robert Mandel
Don't confuse this movie with another one by the same name. David Keith plays “Jack Parker“ in this romance. He's a small town mechanic who spends most of his time tuning up his blue 1969 Z/28. The car has a healthy small block with a 4 speed, a ducted hood, a black standard interior with a roll bar, a floor console, rally wheels, and the style trim group. The rear wheels look like the larger 15x8 size from a Corvette. This car is missing the front spoiler, the headrests, the emblem out of the grille, the emblems on the hood, and the stripes. Jack drag races his Z/28 against other cars on a makeshift dirt track on the outskirts of town. Later on, he prepares the car for a big drag race by installing a polished intake manifold, a tall velocity stack, and a flat hood with a snorkel scoop.

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
©1997 Warner Brothers, directed by Clint Eastwood
A flat-black 1967 Camaro coupe makes a very brief appearance in this movie. It appears to be a base 327 car with a rear spoiler. Chrome Cragar S/S wheels are the most identifying thing about this car. It's owned by “Billy Hanson,“ a character played by Jude Law. This Camaro is only in a handful of shots, and none of them feature it very well. John Cusack (of “Better Off Dead“ fame) plays a character named “John Kelso“ in this film.

Million Dollar Mystery
©1987 De Laurentiis Entertainment Group, directed by Richard Fleischer
“Crush“ is played by Daniel McDonald in this movie. The story has him driving his 1968 Camaro recklessly across the Arizona desert in pursuit of four million dollars that was hidden by a crooked White House Aide. The car is painted metallic red with yellow flames on the nose that fade into purple and blue. It has a rear spoiler, chrome aftermarket wheels, and a flat hood. After a large jump, the front fenders get buckled and all four wheels break off simultaneously in cartoon fashion. That's the last that we see of this Camaro.

The One
©2001 Revolution Pictures, directed by James Wong
Jet Li plays two of the main characters here. “Lawless“ is one of them who travels between different universes killing off his multiple selves. Lawless is hunted by a police agent who drives a silver 1969 Camaro. It has Z/28 badging, a ducted hood with 302 emblems, 15 x 7 rally wheels, a black standard interior, and a rear spoiler. Instead of Z/28 stripes, this Camaro has a black 1967-style bumble-bee stripe around the grille. It also has the shorter rear bumper guards, no style trim option, and it seems to be a floor-shifted automatic car.

The Pick-Up Artist
©1987 20th Century Fox, directed by James Toback
Robert Downey plays “Jack Jericho“ here. He's a grade-school teacher who spends most of his time chasing women and double-parking his red 1968 Camaro convertible. The story calls for the car to break down at all the wrong times, and he eventually sells it at a car lot to raise some cash. This Camaro has a black deluxe interior, an automatic shifter on the column, and a set of rally wheels. It looks mostly original, but it's missing the back-up lights beneath the rear bumper.

Remember the Titans
©2000 Walt Disney Pictures, directed by Boaz Yakin
This movie is based on the true story of the 1971-1972 football team at T.C. Williams High School in Alexandria, Virgina. Ryan Hurst plays the role of the team captain, “Gerry Bertier,“ and the car he drives is a Granada Gold 1967 Camaro coupe. It seems to be a base model car with a flat hood, no engine badging on the fenders, a black standard interior, rally wheels, and spoilers on the front and back. This Camaro is only in a few shots before a truck smashes it hard in the driver's side rear quarter panel.
Old Apr 21st, 05, 06:45 AM
Senior Tech

Scotland, PA
©2002 Lot 47 Films, directed by Billy Morrissette
This story is loosely based on Shakespeare's play “Macbeth,“ but the setting is Scotland, Pennsylvania in 1975. James LeGros drives a red 1968 Camaro SS in his portrayal of “Joe McBeth.“ The car has a white nose stripe, white deluxe interior, rally wheels, and a rear spoiler. It looks mostly stock, except for a pair of longhorns mounted on the hood – Boss Hog style. There are many other first-generation Camaros to admire in this film. If you listen to the Director's commentary, he says, “Basically, I just wanted Camaros. When I was a kid in the seventies, it's the only car I remember anyone ever having.“
Current location of all these Camaros: Unknown.

Summer of Sam
©1999 Touchstone Pictures, directed by Spike Lee
This is a gritty look at life in New York City during the summer of 1977. That's when the serial killer known as the “Son of Sam“ was on the loose. John Leguizamo plays a reckless character named “Vinny“ who likes disco dancing and cruising around in his bright red 1968 Camaro coupe. It has black Z/28 stripes, a flat hood with hood pins, a black standard interior, “350“ fender emblems, aftermarket aluminum wheels, and a mild rake. A very stock looking LeMans Blue 1969 Z/28 sneaks into a few shots if you watch closely. It has a white interior and white stripes.
Current location of these Camaros: Unknown.

2 Fast 2 Furious
©2003 Universal Studios, directed by John Singleton
Paul Walker reprises his role as officer “Brian O'Conner“ from the first film. This time he's driving around Miami in a variety of cars trying to help the federal agents bust a drug dealer. One of the “old school“ cars he drives is a replica of a 1969 Yenko 427 Camaro. Nine similar Yenko replicas were prepared by Ted Moser's shop in California for use in this movie. They're all LeMans Blue with white Yenko graphics and aluminum Cragar S/S wheels. Only one of them actually had a 427 engine under the hood. The car used for most of the interior shots has a black deluxe interior, despite the fact that all of the original 1969 Yenko Camaros have a black standard interior.
Current location of these nine Camaros: At least one of them was sold on eBay sometime near the movie's release.

Tuff Turf
©1985 New World Pictures, directed by Fritz Kiersch
This one is about a high school student who gets in trouble with a gang called the “Tuffs.“ James Spader plays “Morgan Hiller,“ Robert Downey plays “Jimmy Parker,“ and Paul Mones plays “Nick Hauser.“ Each one of these characters gets some time behind the wheel of the same 1968 Camaro coupe. This car is painted in red-oxide primer and it's jacked up with long shackles in the back. It has a flat hood, 327 emblems, a 10-bolt rear-end, and a black standard interior. The back wheels are aftermarket aluminum items. The front wheels are chromed steel with moon hubcaps. A piece of smoked plexiglass covers the entire grille opening - it's amazing the engine never overheats. The area above the rear bumper is also covered over in plexiglass.

A Walk to Remember
©2002 Warner Brothers Pictures, directed by Adam Shankman
Shane West plays a troubled teen named “Landon Carter“ in this romance. Landon's car of choice is a bright red 1967 Camaro coupe with white Z/28 stripes. It has a black standard interior, rally wheels, and V8 emblems on the fenders. It also has an odd combination of a rear-mounted antenna with a rear spoiler. Landon crashes the Camaro near the start of the movie, but he manages to repair it later on. It's in quite a few shots after that. Supposedly, two similar 1967 Camaros were used in this film.
Current location of these two Camaros: The one that was used in the crash sequence was purchased from the studio in 2002 by a private collector in Georgia. Shane West purchased the other Camaro from Warner Brothers after production was finished. That car found a new owner through eBay in August of 2003. The new owner also lives in Georgia.
Old Apr 21st, 05, 03:41 PM
Senior Tech

Just as a side note, the Camaro in Almost Famous was not a true Z/28. The owner was in a Camaro club I was in at the time and his car was picked because the director wanted a blue Camaro. Before shooting the movie, it was only blue and did not have a pass. side outside mirror. The stripes that were put on were tape, not paint. The mirror was added as well. The engine was a 383 SBC. The car had Weld wheels on but a set of Rally's were barrowed from another member.

The reason I know this was I worked this shoot. I had my '69 Camaro in the movie. It was in the parking lot scene at the San Diego Sports Arena. Unfortunitly you can not see the car as it was dark colored, the shot was at night and it was park at the far end of the row (furthest away from the camera shot). IIRC, you get a glimps of a VW bus (teal and white IIRC) which I was a car or so away from. I had to be there for 5 evenings while they shot this scene. Made $800 for basically sitting on my butt.

Also, in the opening scene you see a car coming at you. It was another members Corvette Bronze '68 Camaro. You also see a number of cars/trucks that were shot in pass that I actually moved around for shots. We watched them shoot the scene where the band goes into the venue. It took them more then 5 hours to shot this over and over for just a minute or so of footage.

It was quite a memory to be part of this movie.
Old Apr 21st, 05, 04:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Joel

Yeah! Thanks for all the movie mentions!...Overwhelming actually..TC is a great group with much help. thanks again. Maybe i can go through all of my early recorded family VHS tapes and find it. I think i recorded it..and then recorded over it.
Old Apr 21st, 05, 11:26 PM
Senior Tech

Bill

Shane West bought the '67 from A Walk to Remember for $5000. Whadda deal.
Old Apr 22nd, 05, 12:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Mr. Tibbs

I actually started a similiar thread a month or so ago..here it is with lots of info

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...ghlight=movies
Old Apr 22nd, 05, 02:06 PM
Senior Tech

the crash car at the end of vanishing point was a 67 camaro.
Old Apr 22nd, 05, 05:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Joel

Chevy Thunder, yes, thanks to a link on your original thread , I found the movie. It was Independence Day (not the one with Will Smith) made in the 80's. Good flick! 69 camaro, drama, 69 camaro, drag strip action, 69 camaro, life issues, etc.
Old Aug 8th, 06, 10:45 AM
Tech Team

Regarding the '2Fast 2Furious' cars locations - Volo Auto Museum (IL)recently had (or still has) a blue 69 Camaro the a Dodge hemi from the movie. Volo ran them through the Mecum Collector Car Auction in Rockford, IL last Memorial Day weekend. BTW, there was no action from the bidders on these cars.
Old Aug 8th, 06, 11:00 AM
Senior Tech

Michael

You guys forgot the sweet '69 that Pierce Brosnan drove in "After the Sunset". That was a nice car.
Advertisement