Vertical body measurements - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro
 
Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro
   

Auto Insurance



Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 6th, 05, 06:16 PM
sjg34 sjg34 is offline
Tech Team

Steve
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 97
Default Vertical body measurements

I am trying set my body on a dolly and I am referencing the fisher body manual and nothing makes any sense. The manual shows the front subframe mount at the firewall to be 13 13/16 and the bottom of the rear frame at the leaf spring mount 11 3/4 . I am not able to duplicate the dimensions on the doll, nor do I believe the front is 2” higher than the back. My rockers are level and the body doesn’t appear to be kinked.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old May 6th, 05, 07:28 PM
67CruiseMasterCamaro 67CruiseMasterCamaro is offline
Senior Tech

 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nevada
Posts: 1,387
Arrow Re: Vertical body measurements

Actually I haven't measured one before. But, That measurement does seem right to me. I mean since I have been working on my car, had it on jackstands and messing around with both the firewall body mount and the leaf mount, the correlation does sound correct. I would have to set my car up to check it, but maybe someone else will chime in on this thread to validate the measurements. Sorry I couldn't help.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sjg34
I am trying set my body on a dolly and I am referencing the fisher body manual and nothing makes any sense. The manual shows the front subframe mount at the firewall to be 13 13/16 and the bottom of the rear frame at the leaf spring mount 11 3/4 . I am not able to duplicate the dimensions on the doll, nor do I believe the front is 2” higher than the back. My rockers are level and the body doesn’t appear to be kinked.
__________________
Scot

Cars I own!
1967 Camaro RS/SS w/K30 Cruise Control
2005 GMC HD2500 Duramax
2008 Corvette Z06
2008 Mercedes C300 Sport
and soon 1969 Camaro Z/28 Fathom Green X77
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old May 6th, 05, 08:00 PM
sjg34 sjg34 is offline
Tech Team

Steve
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 97
Default Re: Vertical body measurements

Did you level the rockers and set the rest of the dimensions? Because....if i try to get the frame dimensions right the car is running up hill like crazy
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old May 6th, 05, 08:34 PM
gene_sc gene_sc is offline
Senior Tech

geneo
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sedro Woolley,WA 98284
Posts: 1,302
Default Re: Vertical body measurements

Uh the 11 3/4 is to " Lower surface of side rail at kickup either side of rear axle housing" . the measurment at rear spring mount area is 6 15/16 to the "Master gauge hole side of rail"
http://mysite.verizon.net/gene_sc/frame.htm
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old May 7th, 05, 09:37 AM
sjg34 sjg34 is offline
Tech Team

Steve
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 97
Default Re: Vertical body measurements

I have your spec sheet, a – c are the same, but I have a “d” that is to the aft mount of the front subframe. My e is the same as your d (location and dimensions). But the last 2 dimensions are swamped. I have the shackle mount as 11 ¾ and yours show it to be 15 11/16. Does the fisher body manual have a typo? I tried to add a screen shot to the post but I don’t know how
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old May 7th, 05, 09:53 AM
gene_sc gene_sc is offline
Senior Tech

geneo
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sedro Woolley,WA 98284
Posts: 1,302
Default Re: Vertical body measurements

Mine came from "body by fisher 1967 service manual" section 3-12 to 3-14. maybe you could e-mail me your diagram so I can compare them... If I have time today I'll try to set a car up and do some quick measurements
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Jun 10th, 05, 03:21 PM
67CruiseMasterCamaro 67CruiseMasterCamaro is offline
Senior Tech

 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nevada
Posts: 1,387
Default Re: Vertical body measurements

Gene, did you ever check the dimensions on the frame diagram? I am curious as to how this came out. I am going through the measurements this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene_sc
Mine came from "body by fisher 1967 service manual" section 3-12 to 3-14. maybe you could e-mail me your diagram so I can compare them... If I have time today I'll try to set a car up and do some quick measurements
__________________
Scot

Cars I own!
1967 Camaro RS/SS w/K30 Cruise Control
2005 GMC HD2500 Duramax
2008 Corvette Z06
2008 Mercedes C300 Sport
and soon 1969 Camaro Z/28 Fathom Green X77
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Jun 10th, 05, 03:43 PM
gene_sc gene_sc is offline
Senior Tech

geneo
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sedro Woolley,WA 98284
Posts: 1,302
Default Re: Vertical body measurements

Scot
Sorry I have been so busy lately and had a death in the family. I have the convert in the air right now....(gotta like the rotisserie, so easy to work on) I will do some quick measurements Sat and post the info. I really think the manual is correct... measuring a uni-body can be confusing when you don't do it alot.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Jun 10th, 05, 03:58 PM
67CruiseMasterCamaro 67CruiseMasterCamaro is offline
Senior Tech

 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nevada
Posts: 1,387
Default Re: Vertical body measurements

Gene, the first page refers to page 2-7, the second page on your website is figure 3-17. Are there pages missing that we need to match up the measurements like figure 3-14? I have a 68 Chassis manual but it only give info on the subframe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene_sc
Scot
Sorry I have been so busy lately and had a death in the family. I have the convert in the air right now....(gotta like the rotisserie, so easy to work on) I will do some quick measurements Sat and post the info. I really think the manual is correct... measuring a uni-body can be confusing when you don't do it alot.
__________________
Scot

Cars I own!
1967 Camaro RS/SS w/K30 Cruise Control
2005 GMC HD2500 Duramax
2008 Corvette Z06
2008 Mercedes C300 Sport
and soon 1969 Camaro Z/28 Fathom Green X77
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Jun 10th, 05, 04:49 PM
sjg34 sjg34 is offline
Tech Team

Steve
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 97
Default Re: Vertical body measurements

I noticed that Gene’s and my measurements were different. I had an extra dimension but the main problem was his rear shackle mount and my dimension over the rear axle was swapped. The only way I could get it to come out was to use his rear shackle dimension and omit the rear axel dimension. Once that was done all the other points fell into place.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Jun 10th, 05, 04:57 PM
67CruiseMasterCamaro 67CruiseMasterCamaro is offline
Senior Tech

 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nevada
Posts: 1,387
Default Re: Vertical body measurements

Thanks sjg34, but it still doesn't explain why the missing page or pages. I don't have a manual, maybe if I had one I would understand. But just the same, this is why I am asking the question to Gene. He will know. By the way, thanks for your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjg34
I noticed that Gene’s and my measurements were different. I had an extra dimension but the main problem was his rear shackle mount and my dimension over the rear axle was swapped. The only way I could get it to come out was to use his rear shackle dimension and omit the rear axel dimension. Once that was done all the other points fell into place.
__________________
Scot

Cars I own!
1967 Camaro RS/SS w/K30 Cruise Control
2005 GMC HD2500 Duramax
2008 Corvette Z06
2008 Mercedes C300 Sport
and soon 1969 Camaro Z/28 Fathom Green X77
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Jun 10th, 05, 05:11 PM
sjg34 sjg34 is offline
Tech Team

Steve
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 97
Default Re: Vertical body measurements

check your mail. It may help
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Jun 13th, 05, 07:25 PM
gene_sc gene_sc is offline
Senior Tech

geneo
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sedro Woolley,WA 98284
Posts: 1,302
Default Re: Vertical body measurements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67CruiseMasterCamaro
Thanks sjg34, but it still doesn't explain why the missing page or pages. I don't have a manual, maybe if I had one I would understand. But just the same, this is why I am asking the question to Gene. He will know. By the way, thanks for your reply.
Hey guys sorry it been so long to answer...
I am coming up with the same as below... I am going to double check after I setup a datum line, to get exact measurements (note I have sub frame off) so it will be the rear body section. The pages I posted were from different soeces so the gif number and page number do not match up.... after I get this measured I will re-do my page and diagrams

Originally Posted by sjg34
I noticed that Gene’s and my measurements were different. I had an extra dimension but the main problem was his rear shackle mount and my dimension over the rear axle was swapped. The only way I could get it to come out was to use his rear shackle dimension and omit the rear axel dimension. Once that was done all the other points fell into place.

__________________
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Confessions of a body shop owner. MARTINSR Body Shop 39 Dec 6th, 12 01:51 PM
Cheap repro body panels Pci_RAID Body Shop 11 Jun 10th, 04 07:42 AM
Sub Frame Reconditioning socal68rs Body Shop 11 Aug 13th, 02 09:16 AM
LA car vrs NOR car allcamaro Tech 2000 22 Oct 7th, 00 01:44 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:06 AM.



Camaros.net - © 2009 AutoForums.com