Team Camaro Tech banner

Values Of Torque Plate Honing

19K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  CNC BLOCKS N/E 
#1 ·
This is a pic of a 454 block that has come in for some work as it only has about 3200 miles on it since the rebuild and it was making some lower end noises. We line honed it and squared and decked it flat and bored it and we blued up the 2 center cylinders installed the gasket and torque plate and went in for 6 strokes on each cylinder as you can see the results and look at the piston as it has blowby right to the oil controll rings as we could measure .003 distortion on the cylinders.

I am posting this as Gary from NY say there is no differance using a plate with what I have seen so far over the years I am a believer. I have done blocks this way and gone trade shows and guys are amazed at what a torque plate does to a cylinder and on the after market blocks the distortion is minimal compared to the OEM stuff.

Comments are welcome

See less See more
#2 ·
That's awesome, I love visuals like that.

I'm curious, I wonder if it would be any different cylinder distortion with studs vs. bolts? I can picture in my head how it could possibly change things, but in reality I wouldn't think there would be much of a difference. I guess the tension on the threads/block is the main thing to consider, not the combined loading (shear and tension) that occurs with bolts.

Good work!

#3 ·
Matt

I have found that studs destort a little more as the fine thread on the stud have more mechanical advantage and clamping strenth over coarse threads.

#5 ·
there's gotta be a reason Chevy was bragging up the fact that the new LS7 uses a torque plate to eliminate knocking and oil consumption problems..
hmm, i wonder if this might have something to do with all those genIII powered cars and trucks running around burning oil and making knocking noises?

#6 ·
Cool pic Carl . . .

I wonder if rebuilds and boring the blocks out cause the thinner cylinder walls to "flex" more when the head bolts / studs are TQ'd ???

. . . or maybe it is certain castings? I know some castings don't have as much meat as others . . .

I'm still wondering how GM / Ford / Chrysler got away without using TQ plates from the factory for so many years . . .

#7 ·
Eric68 said:
Cool pic Carl . . .

I wonder if rebuilds and boring the blocks out cause the thinner cylinder walls to "flex" more when the head bolts / studs are TQ'd ???

. . . or maybe it is certain castings? I know some castings don't have as much meat as others . . .

I'm still wondering how GM / Ford / Chrysler got away without using TQ plates from the factory for so many years . . .
Eric

Thats why we sonic everthing that comes in the door except the after market blocks and I have heard before that some block are factory plate honed but I'm not sure on that one.

#10 ·
JohnZ said:
All of the newer Chrysler engines (3.7 V-6, 4.7 V-8, and the 5.7 and 6.1 Hemi) are both bored AND honed with torque plates; primary reason is for good ring sealing for reduced emissions and blow-by. :)

I'm sure there is more of this going on then we know about

#13 ·
BPOS said:
My machinist uses a head gasket between the torque plate and the block, preferably of the same type that will be used in the final build. Is this common practice?

When we machine a block for an engine builder or machine shop we make them fill out a spec sheet to see what they are using for head gaskets and either head bolts or studs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.