Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

Old Jun 28th, 05, 04:58 PM
Senior Tech

Default Goodmark Quarter Panel Problems!!!!

I bought a full quarter replcement panel from a local Goodmark dealer about a month ago. I am having major problems with fitment on this panel. I bought a new rear tail panel and hood from Goodmark also and the quarter just does not want to line up! I am wondering if anyone else bought any of the new panels and if anyone else has experienced problems.

When I line up the rear tail panel, the area where the trunk gasket goes it about 1-1/2 inches off, if I line up the groove where the gasket goes the quarter sticks out about an inch or more. Also there is about a 1 inch gap between the quarter and the trunk lid when the lid is closed. Then when I look that the area by the door, the strick plate is too high by at least an inch, maybe two. The gap at the door is almost tight at the top and good at the bottom...I dont understand this and the guy doing the body work has been in the business for over 18 years working on muscle cars. I have seen his work and he does good work.

What are my options on this problem? Has anyone else ran into these problems?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 28th, 05, 05:30 PM
Senior Tech

Ben

Default Re: Goodmark Quarter Panel Problems!!!!

What year are you working on? If it is a first gen then check out this post:

quarter problems

Also, try doing a search. You may also want to take some pictures and send them to Goodmark, or seeing if your vendor has any other quarter panels that they can swap out with you. I have read in the past that there are times when Goodmark will exchange panels. Hope this helps.
Old Jun 28th, 05, 05:44 PM
Tech Team

well will say one mo time i dont cut nuttin till all existing panels are lined up rusted or not first the door hinges are repinned and re hung then set with out the striker.then go over car till im satisfied.i cut one panel at a time setting it as close as possiable remember this is a almost fit panel and will take some time specially the right side.if a door skin is done i belive they are outa square some wat in refrence to the belt line but need some massage also i dont nail it all down untill all gaps are as best as i can get em may take a day may take a week.when all said and done i would much rather use a old deck lid and do 20 houres repair than use a repop....also when setting any door or deck or hood with a latch , remove the latch and adjust to get gaps then insatlll the latch .the tailpanel i not had to replace that but in order to close the right qtr trunk gap i made a surgical cut in the tail lite section with a sawzzall. and tucked the qtr to desired gap then cleaned up the small section of tail panel miged back in metal finish set tail lite and wala done.....time is the word here push pull screw hold and do again till ya get wat ya want.
Old Jun 28th, 05, 05:54 PM
Senior Tech

It is a 68 Camaro, on the drivers side that I am having the problems. I looked at that thread and there is a lot of good info in it, but I thought I was buying new re-tooled panels??? This thread is from 2000 and I didnt think there would be problems with the newer panels. I am in the process of trying to contact someone at Goodmark. I might have to send them pictures like you say. One thing is, in the thread that you posted, the problem areas seem different.
Old Jun 28th, 05, 07:17 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liveinaz
It is a 68 Camaro, on the drivers side that I am having the problems. I looked at that thread and there is a lot of good info in it, but I thought I was buying new re-tooled panels??? This thread is from 2000 and I didnt think there would be problems with the newer panels. I am in the process of trying to contact someone at Goodmark. I might have to send them pictures like you say. One thing is, in the thread that you posted, the problem areas seem different.
Livinaz I too have the "retooled" panels as well as 67cruisemaster, that thread is from this year. The panels require work. I will say they are better than the OER's I first purchased for the car. look at the full thread I have pics of the problem areas and so does 67cruisemaster. Our problems with these panels are almost Identical as stated in the thread. If you have any questions post them or shoot me an email I will be glad to try and help. Also send me some pics I would like to see those areas because I have no problem in the door striker area but the trunk sounds real close. The top of the quarter where it curves for the turn of the decklid was not even close on my passenger side I had to cut that area off the goodmark and graft the curve from the origional quarter I took off to it, you will see that in the pics. but to be off 2" in the striker area, does not even sound possable unless the quarter was stamped completely wrong.

Last edited by 67LSRS; Jun 28th, 05 at 07:34 PM.
Old Jun 28th, 05, 07:22 PM
Senior Tech

I am sorry!!! HA, I was looking at the "join" date, not the post date....now I will re-read these. oh man...it has been a long day!
Old Jun 28th, 05, 07:37 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liveinaz
I am sorry!!! HA, I was looking at the "join" date, not the post date....now I will re-read these. oh man...it has been a long day!
LOL no problem, it can get very frustrating at times, this is my second set of quarters for the car I could have bought NOS panels for a little more, LOL.
hindsight
Old Jun 28th, 05, 08:10 PM
Senior Tech

Ben

Liveinaz, don't forget to reinstall the quarter stiffeners that go around the corner of the trunk jamb, and the ones used on the bumper mount holes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement