GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Performance Our High Performance area

Old Jul 9th, 05, 07:30 AM

Marty Griffith

Default Zz383

I am very, very close to getting a replacement motor for my new 68 Camaro RS, which I want to be of the non LS carbureted variety. In a previous project I had a bad experience with a Beck Racing 406 crate motor. They (Beck) told me that with all the options I chose (AFR aluminum heads, air gap manifold, etc) that the motor should put out 450+ hp. The motor sounded good but for the money it was a turd power wise. I'll bet it wasn't even 375hp. Now that it is time for another crate motor purchase, I am a little hesitant about the power claims. I would like to go with a small block for the benefits (weight/exhaust clearance) but I want big block power (400-450hp). This is why I am leaning towards the ZZ383. But, I know that I can get a BB crate motor and the power WILL be there. Does anyone here have any real experience with this ZZ383. Has anyone actually dyno'd their ZZ383 to confirm the output. It all sounds good but I do not want to get another small block to later find out that for just a little more I could have had a big block with no questions in regards to power.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Marty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 9th, 05, 08:35 AM
Senior Tech

Jason

Default Re: Zz383

Marty,

I've seen a couple of ZZ383's on a chassis dyno. From what I remember they were in the 300-310 RWHP range (~390-400 HP at the flywheel). Both probably had a little more in them power/ET wise with some different supporting components and tuning.....if that were the ultimate goal.

In a well sorted chassis on sticky rubber (that hooks) that is enough power to go LOW 12's to high 11's at 3300-3500 lbs. Likely mid-high 12's in a typical street/strip rig of the same weight.

That being said, I think you could make considerably more power working with a local QUALITY machine shop and carefully selecting components. Could likely do it cheaper to boot. My old mismatched 10.3:1 383 made ~390 RWHP and ran mid-low 11's @ 3600 lbs with a converter that was about 1500 RPM too tight. (Tore up a trans and sent the converter in for repair and had it restalled for the below engine)

http://hometown.aol.com/jgchevelle/engine.html
Old Jul 10th, 05, 06:32 AM
Senior Tech

I tend to agree with DragRacer. Using a reputable machinist that will work with you on the best parts to use, from both a power and economy standpoint, is preferrable to buying an off the shelf motor that someone has designed that might not be good for your use. As stated, it would probably be less expensive as well.
Old Jul 11th, 05, 09:52 AM

We had a ZZ383 on the engine dyno. We are using one as a test mule for manifold testing.

http://www.holley.com/data/Products/...le%20Plane.pdf

Those numbers are on a DTS engine dyno with an electric water pump and 750 double pumper.

Andrew
Old Jul 13th, 05, 08:01 PM
Senior Tech

michael

i love my stroker from The Engine Factory. engine factory.com
Old Jul 19th, 05, 12:27 PM
Senior Tech

Jeff

My ZZ4 pulled 420 on the dyno with the Hot Cam kit and an RPM Perf manifold with a VS 750 Holley.
'79 L-48 Corvette
'06 Goldwing
Old Jul 20th, 05, 07:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Cal

I bought a crate engine from American Speed in Moline, IL. 3 years ago for my 1968 Z28. The crate engine was the replacement for my fresh 302 MO that I don't want to damage. I called Gail Trent at American Speed and we discussed the options and he recommended a 355 SB and guaranteed me 440 hp. I went with his expertice and the engine showed up with the dyno sheet indicating 446 hp. American Speed specialize in low compression pump gas friendly engines. Big bonus is the owner Gail Trent, excellent man to deal with. Check out their web site. www.amerspeed.com
1949 Meteor Pro Street 468/4L80E
1955 Chevy Gasser BBC M22 410's
Old Jan 5th, 06, 08:51 AM

RICK

I Just Got Registered Here. I Recently Converted My 1988iroc-z 5.7l Tpi To A Zz383 With The Holley Stealth Ram. I Got A Beefed Up 700r4 And Corvette Converter. With A Fair Tune On It Right Out Of The Box, I'm At 318 Rwhp/370rwt With Old Regular Gas In The Tank. We Figure With Clean Premium Gas, I'll Be Over 320/375. Maybe That Helps Ease The Pain.
Old Jan 7th, 06, 05:16 PM
Senior Tech

Ozzie

Thumbs up Re: Zz383

It's funny, I ordered my zz383 at nearly the exact same time these posts originated, but don't recall seeing these at the time.

I got the zz383 from Sallee Chevrolet in Oregon. I deviated slightly from the menu and went with 10:1 AFR heads with the rev kit. Otherwise, it's just like they build 'em.

I love the engine, it has gobs of power, and guys with big blocks say it pulls as hard as theirs if not harder. I haven't dyno'd it yet, but have a connection that will trade a day at the dyno for a reload of the OS on his PC. Probably sometime this spring. Will post results when I have them.
Advertisement

Team Camaro Tech > All Generations > Performance      Current Topic: Zz383
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.