GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Wheels & Tires What fits what?

Old Jul 20th, 05, 04:53 PM
Tech Team

Default Wheel and tire size for 68 Camaro - Please read

Hey guys (and gals) I have a 68 Camaro with a SB350 and stock multi-leaf rear springs. The front has disc brakes and the rear is drums, no lowering kits, everything is close to stock. When I research maximum wheel and tire sizes I am never sure what I can handle because most of the cars listed have some kind of lowering kit, hotchiss (sp?) sway bars and all kinds of mods that probalbly allow for some of the sizes.

What I would like to really know is what is the maximum size rim and tire size that I can run on my Camaro. I currently have 15 inch rally wheels but hate the look of the huge side walls, although I don't want the really low profile tires either.

I would like to mount the a set of Goodyear Eagle F1's but do not know what size the car can handle with no rubbing or hitting the inter wheel wells.

Does anyone also know what aftermarket rims are 'nub' centric and not 'wheel lug' centric because it seems that 'lug' centric rims are not the way to go.

Your input is very greatfully appreciated and I look forward to hearing ya'll.

Any links to pictures of your stock camaro's with rims/tires will help.

Hey - Thanks in advance too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 20th, 05, 05:13 PM
Banned

Smile Re: Wheel and tire size for 68 Camaro - Please read

It's all here and I have posted the stuff CHP did a while back on this in their mag. I think it was them b/c it's been a while..

Please do a search.

pdq67
Old Aug 11th, 05, 05:04 PM
Tech Team

Default Re: Wheel and tire size for 68 Camaro - Please read

I have plenty of articles, both in magazines and online, so please don't direct me to something that does not apply, thanks in advance!

I have a pretty much stock 68 SS with disc brakes up front, drums in the back along with multi-leaf springs and SB springs up front. No big sway bars, no lowering kits just good old GM stock stuff.

I would like to buy some aftermarket rims and tires but have no idea what size will fit with no rubbing. I would like 17" rims and I think this is the max for what I have. I don't want the low (no sidewall) profile tires either.

What rims are hub centric and is this a mandatory requirement? I am leaning towards Cragar or Weld or American Thunder.

Are there any stores in NC that will know what fits and maybe even do a trial fit? I think I read that no rim is returnable after a tires i mounted so will any store get it right the first time?
Old Aug 11th, 05, 08:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Jim

ask, and you will recieve... 1 68 vert, with eagle F1's on cragars. 225/50 on 16x7 3 7/8" bs in front, 255/45 on 17x8, 4.5 bs in back. Springs are repro replacements for this application from D&R, rears are 5 leaf. I'll be lowering the back an inch with blocks. fit is perfect as can be, no rubbing ever.I have drums for now, but they'd fit with disks.

Jimragtop.com New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Old Aug 12th, 05, 03:04 AM
Tech Team

thank-you. i didn't think the front could go 17 without a problem. I had drum converted to disc and my 16 rim still fit so I'll probably just check its bs.

By the way I really like your car especially because it looks technically correct.

Thanks again.
Old Aug 12th, 05, 05:19 AM
Banned

Did you look in the first, (top), thread here?

AND Larry C's great Pro-Touring site has a big matrix on it that has what guy's are actually running if you want to look it up.

And a word of advice.

My stock, steel 14" x 6" painted wheels have a 3.75" b/s so set 2.25" as your front out "b/s", (If you will), and dish wider wheels in b/c my 14" x 7" Fenton slotted mag wheels with 3.5" b/s rubbed some on the outer lip chrome piece on the front with no bigger then E-60's on it!! (I.e., cut the sidewall a schosh!)...

AND I ran great big L-60/14's on 14" x 9" with 3.5" b/s on the rear but had to raise it about 4" using coil-overs! The L's measure a MODERN 298/53-14!! And I still have them mounted on my old slots. I figure they would tuck in fine/better with say a 4.5" to a 4.75" b/s...

(And I like the big/little tall rearend of the old-school look!!)....

Now I have Pony-car, "Bullitts", 17" x 8" on my car with 225 and 255/45-17's AND I know the 255's are way too small to even attempt to hook.

pdq67
Old Aug 12th, 05, 06:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68SS96GS
thank-you. i didn't think the front could go 17 without a problem. I had drum converted to disc and my 16 rim still fit so I'll probably just check its bs.

By the way I really like your car especially because it looks technically correct.

Thanks again.
Thanks for the comments on my car.... It is an SS clone. The exterior is as techincally correct as I reasonably could make it.

The "wheel diameter" is not really an issue. The overall height of the tire, and the cross section width are what's important. My front tires are short at 23.5", that's one of the reasons they clear so well. A taller tire (the typical 25 or 26") would be more likely to rub at full steering lock. The 225 cross section is basically the widest that will "fit comfortably". 235's can also fit, and 245's are done, but careful measuring and exactly "right" backspace becomes more critical.

In the back, more backspace would have been nice, especially if I had used as wider tire, I would have liked to use a 265, but the F1's are not available in that size.

Jimragtop.com New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Old Aug 12th, 05, 05:06 PM
Banned

And fwiw, a 9.50-14, Firestone Town&Country, Mud&Snow tire will fit the back of our '67 and '68 cars using the stock 14" x 6" steel wheels I mentioned earlier IF you raise the rearend using coil-overs about 4" or so!!

They are 29" to 29.5" in dia with about a 9.0" cross section!! I ran them way back in the winter of '66/'67 on the RR and have a pic. of the rear of my car with them on it..

He, He!! My speedometer went from 70 mph to 82 mph at the same rpm!!

pdq67
Old Sep 11th, 05, 04:44 PM
Senior Tech

Did you have problems with lug centric on your car???

I swapped my stock wheels for new rally aftermarkets from Wheel Vintiques- they are terrible! Have sent 3 back already for out of round.

I have a huge shake in the front at 42-50MPH. I am returning and going back to GM rally with the correct center hubs.

thanks
JL
Old Sep 11th, 05, 06:27 PM
Tech Team

On the front, 26 inch diameter, 7.5" wide with 4" b/s, back 28" diameter 8"-9" wide with 4.5" b/s. Works great!! Whatever wheel tire combo fits that set-up.
68 Camaro..454..4:56 12 bolt..TH400
Old Sep 11th, 05, 08:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Jim

The new big cragars (16 & 17, don't know about the smaller ones) use these giant tapered seat lugnuts, no more unilugs or shanked nuts or one size fits all slots in the wheels. They are perfect, zero runout.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement