Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Engine General Engine Discussion.

Old Aug 14th, 05, 04:44 PM

Default High Torque starter for 396

I am on my 5th Pepboys starter, and they only last about 3-6 months. I tried getting a high torque starter before from summit, but it didnt mount onto my block or bellhousing.

Anyone know a particular starter that will work? I am using a stock bellhousing, so nothing out of the ordinary. I need something that can crank this beast over...and price isn't a concern any more!

Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 14th, 05, 05:56 PM
Banned

Smile Re: High Torque starter for 396

Sure, I tell a high torque starter b/c it will have a copper tube spacer that is about 3/4" to 1" long between the field coil pigtail and the back of the solenoid.

Then just make sure the starter's nose style fits your flywheel/flex plate size and bellhousing hole. Staggered or straight across mounting bolts is all...

The one I put on my 406 SB is actually for a hi-po 427 and 454 big f/w application!

pdq67
Old Aug 14th, 05, 10:01 PM
Senior Tech

Default Re: High Torque starter for 396

I ran this starter on my 396 for a few years and it worked great.

Now it is on a small block and is still going.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...45&prmenbr=361

http://www.tciauto.com/starters.htm
Old Aug 15th, 05, 04:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Cal

I have always used the factory brace from the "nose" of the starter to the engine block and never had a problem with factory starters. GM installed it for good reason. In addition, make sure you use the correct knurled bolts and shim the starter correctly. A paperclip between the bendix and the ring gear will get you in the ballpark. Afermarket high torque starters work OK but there has been millions of Chevy engines started without them.
1949 Meteor Pro Street 468/4L80E
1955 Chevy Gasser BBC M22 410's
Old Aug 15th, 05, 07:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Jim

I would go with PDQ's suggestion. I've built my own starters in the past for a "hard to crank" engine, a 12:1 406.

First off, the auto parts rebuilt starters are completely "JUNK" filled with el-cheapo made overseas parts.

To build a "GOOD" Delco starter, you need:

A Cast Iron starter nose with the correct bolt pattern for your engine. Look at trucks in the junkyard.

A "heavy Duty" starter motor. As pdq noted, these motors are about 3/4" longer than that "standard torque" starter. You can spot them by the brass spacer installed between the large lower connection on the solenoid and the brass strap coming out of the top front of the starter.

And, the following new starter parts, genuine Delco only, purchased from your local dealer:

Solenoid, Bendix drive, Brush kit, Starter bolts. Also be sure to use the front strap. These are available from polaces like Rick's, and may be available from the dealer as well.

Jimragtop.com New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Old Aug 15th, 05, 08:04 AM
Tech Team

Keith

I had a starter in my car that died (had a dead spot on it, if you got under car and hit it with a hammer it would catch sometimes.....). I since have put this one below and it works fine. I have a mild 396 in the car. Starter installed real nice and was of a good quality.

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...=egnsearch.asp
Old Aug 15th, 05, 08:46 AM
Senior Tech

late model big block trucks have a pretty heavy duty- but lightweight- starter in them.
head to the dealer and get a starter for a 99 3/4 ton 4X4 with a 454 in it. also get the front brace for it, as well (if they still use them) and bolts. you will need a slightly bigger ring terminal on the solenoid wire, but that's no big deal. and other than that, it's a direct bolt in.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
Old Aug 15th, 05, 06:11 PM
Senior Tech

Al

The fattest battery cables you can find (the wire, not the insulation), and the biggest battery you can physically fit in the batt box will help as well.
Old Aug 17th, 05, 09:14 PM

Thanks guys for the info...

I dont think I am up for building a starter, again money isnt a concern and just need something to bolt in really quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktaylor36
I had a starter in my car that died (had a dead spot on it, if you got under car and hit it with a hammer it would catch sometimes.....). I since have put this one below and it works fine. I have a mild 396 in the car. Starter installed real nice and was of a good quality.

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...=egnsearch.asp
This just brings me to a page of starters...what was the starter called and some of the specs?
Old Aug 18th, 05, 10:34 AM
Tech Team

Keith

Sorry,
Should have checked to see if link worked.. The summit part number is SUM-G1660A
Product Line: Summit Mini High-Torque Starters
Maximum Recommended Compression Ratio: 11.0:1
Gear Reduction Ratio: 3.73:1

It can be used with the 153 or 168 flywheel. Mine bolted right up and no issue with adjusting the clearance ( I didn't have to shim it or anything) I have had it for 2 months and I have been using my 68 as my everyday car and no issues with it yet, starts her right up. I am not sure my compression ration but they say max is 11.0:1. Summit sells them for 157.95. If you search for the part number is comes right up. Bellhousing on my car looks to be stock but I can't really tell, no telling what the guy before me did to this car.... Hope that helps.

Keith
Old Aug 18th, 05, 11:52 AM
Senior Tech

i have a Hitachi mini starter and it works great cranking my 11.8:1 468. I had one of the CVR starters and it worked great to, just wouldn't fit with my new super comps. They take up a trmendous amount of room.

68 Super Sport
468, 11.5:1, AFR 305cc heads, Vic Jr, ProSystems 1000, 264/275@0.050, TH-400, flashes to 4800, 3.73's.
60' 1.55 (gotta work on this)
1/8 6.54@107.5
1/4 10.21@ 132.6
Old Aug 18th, 05, 09:20 PM
Senior Tech

Chris

Cool Re: High Torque starter for 396

I buy my custom alternators and staters form this guy. Really good stuff at great prices. He can custom powder coat alternators!

http://stores.ebay.com/Motor-City-Reman

Chris @ www.C-DPerformance.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Team Camaro Tech > First Generation Camaro Info and Tech - 1967- 1969 "Where it all started" > Engine      Current Topic: High Torque starter for 396
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.