Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

Old Aug 30th, 05, 10:45 AM
Tech Team

Terry

Default '68 "Torque Drive" Powerglide

My son (15) just "inherited" my sisters '68 RS (bad shape, but all there for restoration). It's got a 2-speed MANUAL shift Powerglide, called a "Torque Drive" according to the indicator. It has always been a non-automatic shift transmission since day one.

Does any body know anything about this option?
Advertisement

Old Aug 30th, 05, 11:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

John

Thumbs up Re: '68 "Torque Drive" Powerglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertrunk
Does any body know anything about this option?
First off - WELCOME to Team Camaro

I think both you and your son will enjoy learning about your new Camaro on the site
And, we will be learning from you since it sounds like an unmolested original so far...
Please consider posting your numbers (VIN and Cowl) on the site so the CRG ( www.camaros.org ) guys can include them in their data base. (note: these numbers will not be released to anyone)

As far as the "Torque-Drive" option, RPO-MB1. It was only available with a L-6 engine.
It is basicly a 'PowerGlide' without the necessary parts to make it shift as an automatic. It is repaired and serviced the same as a PowerGlide and uses most the same parts, except for the hydraulic valve body and shifting governor system.
Your shift indicator on the column should have 'Park-R-N-Hi-1st' for it's ranges. A PowerGlide has 'Park-R-N-Drive-Low'.
I only worked on these transmissions a couple times in the few years they were available. They were fairly hard on the 1st gear band due to the manual downshifting and required more service and adjustment than a "Normal" PowerGlide did. Never did get a chance to tear into one - but, I did swap one out for a man that bought one for his daughter and hated it. The hardest thing to find for the swap was all the kick-down linkage for a PowerGlide at the time. There should be lot's of parts around now and swapping to a more modern TH200-4R OverDrive unit would now probably be the best path anyway.

Hope this helps;
John
Other V6 things - none of which float
Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
Old Aug 30th, 05, 11:24 AM
Tech Team

Terry

Default Re: '68 "Torque Drive" Powerglide

Thanks, this site looks like quite a resource.

You sound like you hit it right on. The car's got the 230 6 in it. We'll be around here a lot in the upcoming weeks. We haven't got the car home yet (making room in the garage for it now). The hard question is still being kicked around..............

Restoration or build the car he wants?

When we get this one done, it'll be time to work on my old '67 (former street racer, drag car, pretty much a basket case when I got it, and it's been stored high and dry for 20 +/- years).

Again, thanks so much for the welcome and advice!
Old Aug 30th, 05, 11:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Jim

Quote:
Restoration or build the car he wants?
That's always the zillion dollar question, isn't it?

Jimragtop.com New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Old Aug 30th, 05, 01:34 PM
Senior Tech

John

Talking Re: '68 "Torque Drive" Powerglide

Welcome to the site!

The torque drive tranny also has slightly different gearing than the standard V8 powerglide from what I recall. The first gear is just a little lower. (something like a 1.82:1 ratio instead of 1.76:1)

Swapping in either the three speed TH-350 or the overdrive 200-4R or 700-R4 are fairly easy with all of the kits they make nowadays. Having an extra first gear to play with will also make the car feel like it has picked up quite a bit of get-up-and-go even if the engine is still a bit of a slug.

Although it is up to you whether to put go-fast parts in your son's car. ; )

- '68 Chevy Camaro (sort of done, but always subject to improvement)
- '63 Pontiac Tempest (work in progress)
- '72 Datsun 240-Z (back-burner for now)
Old Aug 31st, 05, 07:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodlefoof
Welcome to the site!

The torque drive tranny also has slightly different gearing than the standard V8 powerglide from what I recall. The first gear is just a little lower. (something like a 1.82:1 ratio instead of 1.76:1)

; )
Just to clear things up, the gearing of a PowerGlide was determined by the engine or application.
The "standard" V-8's, base 327 or 307, and L-6's (or L-4's for other models) used a 1.82:1 gearing.
The Optional , or higher performance 327, 350 & 396, V-8's used a 1.76:1 gearing.
I've only seen one or two exceptions to this in some large models, it may have had something to do with the wieght and selected final gearing?

I do believe all the Torque Drives are 1.82:1 geared, as they were only used for L-4 & 6's.
I quess it's a 'smaller engine = lower gearing' thingy

John

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
Old Aug 31st, 05, 08:35 AM
Tech Team

Terry

As I mentioned earlier, this project is just starting (we haven't gotten the car home yet...........). And I'm trying to do the "right" planning up front to try to prevent too many mid-stream horse changes.

The car is a well worn, original owner, job. My brother-in-law and sister bought it new before he left for Viet Nam. They've had it ever since, but by now it's pretty sad.

Is this a "desirable" trans, or would I really be hurting the value of the car if we swaspped to a TH350 or 400?

The boy has lots of ideas like "pop-lock" electric doors and trunk, etc. so we may just build the car he wants rather than a restoration, but if we are making a mistake, feel free to point it out

I'l be back in lots of sections of this forum with more questions..............
Thanks for the help so far.
Old Aug 31st, 05, 08:47 AM
Senior Tech

RS package, with a super-cheap 230 torque-drive drivetrain? That has to be a bit of an odd combo. I'd think anyone opting for the RS would at least spring for the PG.
Old Aug 31st, 05, 08:48 AM

<Jake 68's Rule

IMO, if its a Plain Jane Camaro, do what you can afford to "Restifiying" it. Meaning new motor, new trans, and another axle, fix what's broke, and redo the interior followed by paint and a good buffing of the molding or new reproduction items.

The car is 37 years old. All suspension and suspension bushings will have to be replaced, body bushings, brake system, radiator, upgrade the alternator and car's wire harness, weatherstripping, steering box, any rusted panels, door hinges/bushings, glass(?), rear springs, and whatever else is worn out.

There is a couple of tons of info here and knowledge of where-to-go to git-r-dun!

My bad I overread it not being an RS model. Maybe more research needed to determine the rarity as mentioned earlier, RS with TorqueDrive.

Last edited by Everett#2390; Aug 31st, 05 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Reread first post
Old Aug 31st, 05, 09:07 AM
Tech Team

Terry

Thanks for the thoughts!

I need to get it home, run the numbers, and see what we really have.

I'm thinking much like you. Get it safe and reliable first (motor / trans rebuild, brakes, fuel system, suspension), all the stuff that leaves you walking down the highway first..............

Then worry about what it looks like (except for rust repair while the tank or front end is off) later.
Old Aug 31st, 05, 09:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

John

Quote:

Is this a "desirable" trans, or would I really be hurting the value of the car if we swaspped to a TH350 or 400?

The boy has lots of ideas like "pop-lock" electric doors and trunk, etc. so we may just build the car he wants rather than a restoration, but if we are making a mistake, feel free to point it out

Thanks for the help so far.
"a "desirable" trans" - not likely...
Like I said earlier, they were eally a pain to drive. You have to watch your speed and select the gear you should be in. This would mean - shifting, holding your coffee (no cup holders in early Camaros ) pinning you cell against your shoulder and ear and then trying to steer with your 'free' hand between shifts in 'Stop-N-Go' traffic... You get my drift here?
This could prove quite challenging for a new teenage driver
If you also plan to swap out the L-6 for a V-8, then the Torque-Drive would propably be a very poor choice.
As stated in the replies, a TH350 or TH200-4R (or even a PowerGlide!) can replace the Torque-Drive unit with basicly bolt-on parts. Actually, in the case of a TH350 swap, it is almost a bolt-in, with only minor modification of the shift linkages and kick-down system.
The driveshaft will work as-is in these swaps. It would require modification in all the other options.
The transmission cross-member will require replacement and modification in all but the TH350 swap.

"The car is a well worn, original owner, job. My brother-in-law and sister bought it new before he left for Viet Nam. They've had it ever since, but by now it's pretty sad."

IMHO - this gives the car some 'provenance' that would be important in the long-run to it's "collector" value - if it was to be restored to it's original condition...
If you aren't going to keep it original, and need to improve and modernize it to make it a daily driver again, it really doesn't matter where it came from or how...

It's your car, you can do what you want - don't let anyone tell you anything different.

It is very important to upgrade the brakes, tires, drivetrain and probably the electronics (in that order...) if you are going to try to use this car as a dependable mode of daily transportation.
The cosmetic items, like paint, trim and interior, can be done along with or after the other mechanical items are completed.
Only you ( or your mechanic...) can determine the condition of the original components and then decide if they need to rebuilt or replaced with newer items.

"The boy has lots of ideas " - this is an inherent flaw in all of our children...
The best advise I can give is the 'words of wisdom' my father gave me - "lead them exactly where they think they want to go..."
You can take him to shows, go with him to shop for engines/transmissions/ect. (btw - there are several great 'Camaro friendly' shops in your home town! ) and read through all the literature/product brochures & information with him so you are both on the same page as far as what would be 'best' for your project.
Given all the right information he will probably make the right decision...

As always, JMHO;
John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement