GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Wheels & Tires What fits what?

Old Oct 22nd, 05, 08:32 AM
Senior Tech

Default Nightmare! Wheel Vintiques brand Rally Wheel -

I am sending this to hopefully help fellow camaro owners avoid a very costly and expensive negative experience with Wheel Vintique afermarket Rally rims.

I purchased (4) Rally (afermarket) Wheel Vintique wheels new, and over the last 2 1/2 months have been remounting, rebalancing and receiving new replacements- to replace defective and out of round rims from Wheel Vintiques. In total I received 7 rims from them and all ran out with wobbles, brand new out of the box!

These poor quality rims were causing my 67 camaro convertible to shake real good at 40-50 MPH! Afer numerous visits to tire shops and $200.00 dollars in mounting and remounting and balancing, I finally sent them back to the catalog seller and bought original dated GM Rallys-

Car is rollling true, dead straight and no shakes and wobbles! I called he company and they said they never heard of this issue-Makes you really wonder!

Hope this saves others 2 1/2 months of wasted time and money for others!

regards,
JL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 22nd, 05, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Nightmare! Wheel Vintiques brand Rally Wheel -

I have heard this on other web boards as well! And the complaints are to the same wheel company! It really does make you wonder.....I was going to buy some in the past but went with GM wheels after hearing this before...
Old Oct 22nd, 05, 05:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Don

Its always" your are the first with that type of problem" . This forum has talked about this issue before. Glad you brought it back up .
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E
http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=115_1577.jpg
Old Oct 22nd, 05, 05:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Robert

I bought pair of 15x8x4.5bs a while back (2 yrs?) and the wheels were/are good. I did however have to send back the trim rings that didn't please me. Maybe you got into a bad batch, who knows. Their QC should have caught it if that was the case.
TC member #18
Old Oct 22nd, 05, 06:19 PM
Senior Tech

Don

Over the last few years, I've bought 24 wheels from them, and only 1 of them had an issue with out of round.

The latest set is now on my daily driven Chevy pickup and they are very good and balanced with minimal weights.
Don ~ TC Member #15 ~ http://www.flickr.com/photos/46701464@N06/sets/
Old Oct 22nd, 05, 06:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ430DropTop67RS
Over the last few years, I've bought 24 wheels from them, and only 1 of them had an issue with out of round.
IMO, that is still too many.

Vent Windows Forever! ... My junk ... NastyZ28 ... NJ Camaros & Firebirds

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
Old Oct 22nd, 05, 08:54 PM
Senior Tech

Cris

Default Hub bore size.

Most all hub bores are oversized on "generic" rally wheels. The hub bores on the factory rally wheels are con-centric with the factory hubs thus using the hub to center the wheels instead of the lug nuts. Lug nut should only be used for the sole purpose of installing the wheels to the hub, not center the wheel. Most all "quality" wheels will be hub-centric or have center rings available to match the i.d. of the wheel to the o.d. of the hub. This is very important when shopping for wheels. Also note, your wheel stud are'nt designed to "carry" the load of your vehicle. The hub is.

Cris
'73 BMW 2002
'88 BMW M5
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/792793
Old Oct 23rd, 05, 11:18 AM
Tech Team

Hey, a heads up on wheels, not quite a nightmare but something I had never thought of. I had to remove weights from a set of drums to get aftermarket wheels to fit, of course now they can't be balanced.
Old Oct 23rd, 05, 11:41 AM
Senior Tech

Don

Default Re: Wheel Vintiques brand Rally Wheel

I'm trying to think of a better wheel for the money.
Don ~ TC Member #15 ~ http://www.flickr.com/photos/46701464@N06/sets/
Old Oct 23rd, 05, 03:43 PM
Senior Tech

CJ,..you are right on the money!

You may can get away with wheels that aren't "hub-centric" on the rears, but there's no way I'd run them on the fronts. The original Kelsey-Hayes rally wheels are still being made for about the same price as the repo,..the only disadvantage, is, for the KH 15" wheels, they're only made in 7" rims with 4.25" backspace, or the 8" widths with 4" backspace,..the latter being for Vettes. In the 8 inch version, there's not enough backspace for Camaros,..or more accuretely, they stick out too much which causes clearance issues.

But as CJ says above, you're asking too much of your lug studs to both center the wheel and carry the load,..that's the hub's job.
Old Oct 23rd, 05, 03:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight-line-69
You may can get away with wheels that aren't "hub-centric" on the rears, but there's no way I'd run them on the fronts.
While I wouldn't argue that hub-centric wheels are superior... I'm not aware of a single mass produced aftermarket wheel that is, not in the entire thirtyfive years that I've cared what a car is...Remember the "one size fits all" slotted lug hole (uni-lugs)?

Jimragtop.com New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Old Oct 23rd, 05, 05:12 PM
Senior Tech

Cris

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM
While I wouldn't argue that hub-centric wheels are superior... I'm not aware of a single mass produced aftermarket wheel that is, not in the entire thirtyfive years that I've cared what a car is...Remember the "one size fits all" slotted lug hole (uni-lugs)?

Most all quality billet wheel companys will provide rings, if asked. Wheels from Europe and Japan that are TUV or JMOT tested utilize hub rings. Even the "custom" A/R Torq Thrust wheels are bored to accept a ring. Most tire and wheel stores just don't mention it or don't know. In my 20 years of buying wheels everything from my '68 BMW 2002 to my '68 Camaro and my Duramax all have rings. I'm surprised no one has used the 'vette rallys and had the centers moved out. There are companies that can change backsides. Stockton Wheel can do it.

Cris
'73 BMW 2002
'88 BMW M5
Old Oct 23rd, 05, 08:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ
Most all quality billet wheel companys will provide rings, if asked. Wheels from Europe and Japan that are TUV or JMOT tested utilize hub rings. Even the "custom" A/R Torq Thrust wheels are bored to accept a ring. Most tire and wheel stores just don't mention it or don't know. In my 20 years of buying wheels everything from my '68 BMW 2002 to my '68 Camaro and my Duramax all have rings. I'm surprised no one has used the 'vette rallys and had the centers moved out. There are companies that can change backsides. Stockton Wheel can do it.

Cris
I did say "mass-produced" didn't I? Not talking rice or beemer wheels, or $500 a pop custom billets... regardless, is there somewhere I can get hub rings for my (fairly) new 17"Cargar SS's?

Jimragtop.com New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Old Oct 23rd, 05, 09:32 PM
Senior Tech

Cris

Quote:
I did say "mass-produced" didn't I? Not talking rice or beemer wheels, or $500 a pop custom billets... regardless, is there somewhere I can get hub rings for my (fairly) new 17"Cargar SS's?

Rice or Bimmer wheels? Dude CHILL! Quality billet wheels are'nt all $500.00 a pop. Look around at the diffrent companies. Check the I.D. of the bore on your wheels and call the people you bought them from. What's with the attitude.

Cris
'73 BMW 2002
'88 BMW M5
Old Oct 25th, 05, 09:20 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Are you guys saying that "hub-centric" wheels are definitely required? I recently put a new set of 18" billet wheels on my '69 that are "stud-centric" and now have a vibration in the front that starts at 60 mph and gets increasingly worse. I've had the tire checked for balance at 2 places. When I put my spare 15" ralley wheel on, it is fine!! I spoke to the wheel company today and they were not aware of any problems like this!

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement