GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

Old Nov 24th, 05, 06:35 AM
Senior Tech

Default Picture of rear wheel well rocker access\Drain hole

I am trying to figure out what the area of sheet metal should look like at the rear wheel wells where the rocker panel access\drain plugs are located. Mine were all covered with body filler After I ground away some of the filler I just have a ragged somewhat square hole. Does anyone have pictures of what it is supposed to look like before and after the drain plug is installed. I cannot see any way to attach the drain plug and will have to reconstruct this area.

Thanks
Ray

Last edited by ray moore; Nov 24th, 05 at 06:50 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 24th, 05, 12:24 PM
Senior Tech

Default Re: Picture of rear wheel well rocker access\Drain hole

There is a drain hole visible from beneath the car. It has a plastic leaflet over it. It plugs into a hole above the drain hole. This plastic part is available. It's location is above the slight crimp in the rocker that directs water towards this drain.

There are two access holes that have plastic plugs in them. Those will be round holes sized to match the plastic plugs. Those are available as repro parts and in the hardware section of some stores.

Old Nov 24th, 05, 04:26 PM
Senior Tech

Thanks for the Pix Tired68,

Apparently I have one of the holes but on both sides have a huge square hole that was filled in with filler. I'm trying to figure out how the area was originally such as a piece of steel was welded in to fill up the end of the rocker??
See my pictures of what I have.

]

Old Nov 24th, 05, 04:45 PM
Team Member

Christropher

I think I'd just replace the outer wheel well with that kind of damage, unless your quarter panel is perfect. Otherwise, you just need to extend the wheel well panel down to meet the bottom of the rocker then you can just drill out a hole right in the middle of where the square hole is, which is the inner rocker and put the plug in it. I don't have a measurement on the hole size, but if no one posts with it, just order some of the plugs to get the right size, they are pretty cheap I believe.
**How to attach images**
MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67 "
Old Nov 24th, 05, 07:00 PM
Senior Tech

The quarters are too good to replace, I think I will weld in a piece of patch metals and drill new hole. Thanks for the replies, I now know what they should llok like .

Thanks
ray
Old Nov 24th, 05, 07:44 PM
Team Member

Christropher

Nice car! Good luck with it. If you find you need more pictures, let me know and I'll try to go snap some of mine.
**How to attach images**
MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67 "
Old Nov 24th, 05, 08:06 PM
Senior Tech

Ray -

Mine wasn't quite that bad; I had about 2/3 of the hole left to help locate the patch. I just fabbed a piece of 22 gage with a 3/4" hole to patch over the rusted area and make it look "new". My access hole is centered approx. 1 3/4" up from the bottom edge of the rocker, and approx. 7/8" in from the inner bend of the inner wheel house.

I fabbed a little bend into the "corner" of the inner house just to make sure I had a good weld, but it looks like you'll need a little more.
Old Nov 24th, 05, 08:34 PM

Ray, your car is beautiful.
Anytime I see a Rallye Green Camaro, I fall more in love with that color.
Sometimes I get the feeling I'm alone in that.

STREET MACHINES OF ROCHESTER

SEMA ACTION NETWORK

UNITED SERVICES ORGANIZATION (USO)
Old Nov 25th, 05, 06:29 AM
Senior Tech

Thanks CLWilcox33, Looks like my rubber flap cut out on the inside is correct but I'm missing the rubber flap on both sides. Appreciate you taking the time for the pictures.

Eric,
Thanks for the close up picture and measurements. It looks like I need to grind away more filler and extend patch furthur up and a bit wider .I am right now in the middle up going over the chassis stating with the back end and patching in pieces of sheet metal to repair spots that are not right. Nice job on the welding in of the patch. I appreciate it because I am a beginner welder ( starting with this project ) and am having trouble getting good consistent welds, some are smooth and get good penetration, others for no reason pop and look crappy. I'm going to get plenty of practice in the next couple months.

Thanks HwyStarJoe,

It's the original color, I've never been drawn toward green on a car before, but I do love this color, Usually it's the only green Camaro or any green car for that matter I see when I go to a car show. I do always get a " What color green is that" question a lot.

Ray
Old Nov 25th, 05, 08:25 AM
Team Member

Christropher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray moore
Thanks CLWilcox33, Looks like my rubber flap cut out on the inside is correct but I'm missing the rubber flap on both sides. Appreciate you taking the time for the pictures.

Ray
I'd love to take credit for it, but it was Tired68 that got you the pictures. I just offered to take some of mine as well if needed. Good luck with your project.
**How to attach images**
Old Nov 25th, 05, 01:14 PM
Senior Tech

Oops, Sorry Tired68, Thank YOU for the pictures. and clwilcox33 thank you for the offer.

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Team Camaro Tech > First Generation Camaro Info and Tech - 1967- 1969 "Where it all started" > Body Shop      Current Topic: Picture of rear wheel well rocker access\Drain hole
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.