Sears Craftsman log splitter ? - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

Old Dec 31st, 05, 12:22 PM
Senior Tech

Question Sears Craftsman log splitter ?

Does anyone here on this board own or use a Sears Craftsman log splitter. Santa Claus told me Merry Christmas by leaving a brand new one under my Christmas tree this year. I still haven't figured out how the heck he got it down the chimney.....anyway I have a question.

This splitter is the 27 ton with the 6.5 Briggs and Stratton motor. I am totaly amazed on how powerful this thing is and how freakin' fast you can bust up the wood. If I had known they were this nice I would have had one a long time ago. Well I have used it now a few days and in the owners manual it says to change the engine oil after the first 5 hours of service. I am right at that amount of time after using it today but here's the deal. Where the heck is the drain plug for the engine oil? The book that came with the motor shows three places to drain:
1. the plug underneath the motor that requires a 3/8 ratchet extension
2. the side drain plug using the same tool
3. or, get this, by TIPPING the motor

Well I cannot see a side drain AND you cannot get to the under side of the motor because of the way it is mounted. The only way I can see to do it is to tip it over. Now how in the heck am I going to tip this thing over. It probably weighs 250 pounds or more. If anyone has one similar please help me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 31st, 05, 02:53 PM
Team Member

Christropher

Default Re: Sears Craftsman log splitter ?

The drain is on the side at the bottom. ALL B&S engines have a drain at the bottom. At least all that have been built within the last 10 years that I know of. Look harder for it, It took me looking at the B&S engine on my tiller about 10 times before I finally found the plug....

It's probably the same type as the one on my tiller as a matter of fact, it's the same HP rating. The one B&S on my lawnmower is on the bottom right next to the blade spindle underneath the mower.

I can look it up if you still can't find it, there is no need to tip it over. Get me the model number if you want me to.
**How to attach images**
MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67 "
Old Dec 31st, 05, 08:51 PM
Senior Tech

Harley D

There may be a bracket or something in the way of the side plug. (There should be one.) If you can't find it or get to it. Get a small drill pump, 3/8" vinyl hose and a couple 3/8"-garden hose adapters. (Home Depot, Ace, True Value) Put the drill in a cordless drill and pump it out. about $10 for all of it. Nice trick for some tillers, splitters, and generators.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."-Dr. Seuss
We learn life's important lessons in kindergarten.

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.7281/4-11.83@115.59
firstgens.com
Old Jan 2nd, 06, 12:45 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by clwilcox33
The drain is on the side at the bottom. ALL B&S engines have a drain at the bottom. At least all that have been built within the last 10 years that I know of. Look harder for it, It took me looking at the B&S engine on my tiller about 10 times before I finally found the plug....

It's probably the same type as the one on my tiller as a matter of fact, it's the same HP rating. The one B&S on my lawnmower is on the bottom right next to the blade spindle underneath the mower.

I can look it up if you still can't find it, there is no need to tip it over. Get me the model number if you want me to.
I will look again this evening when I get home. I have my entire winters wood split now using my new toy. I still have some wood left to split but I will wait until another nice day. No need to go out in the cold and wind to play. Thanks for all the info guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement