GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

Old Mar 1st, 05, 02:49 AM
Team Member

Stan

I am thinking about relocating my wiper motor on my 69 out of sight(under the left fender I would imagine)Anyone with info or experience in this area?Would appreciate some ideas.
Stan
Advertisement

Old Mar 1st, 05, 04:02 AM

Specialty wipers & power windows has a remote kit. It involves running some aluminum tubing into the cowl. A cable (looks like a large pipe cleaner) runs through the pipe, and turns the custom wiper transmissions. Its a neat kit,one that I used on my 69, where the motor is mounted up under the dash. You could really mount the motor anywhere you wanted, as long as the cable will reach. Its a street rod kit, but totally adaptable to your 69. Here's the website.

http://www.specialtypowerwindows.com/

My car

http://www.photos.yahoo.com/bobbalito2000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 1st, 05, 04:57 AM
Senior Tech

Jim

On my 73 Nova (which should have a real similiar firewall to the 69 Camaro) I ended up moving the stock wiper motor to under the driver's fender. I first took off the old wiper motor and then made a template of the hole opening and of the mounting holes and then took a level and with the template in place on the firewall made a horizontal mark on it for reference. I then positioned the template under the driver's fender and used a level to make sure the template was level and then marked the firewall. It seems to me the firewall was not totally flat and a reinforcing rib stamped into the metal but after it was marked I made a hole in the metal and then used a jig saw to cut the hole out on the marks. I then marked out where the mounting holes were at and drilled them out and then took some nuts and bolts and attached them to where I had three studs sticking out of the firewall that the original wiper motor could slide onto and then by using another set of nuts attach it to the firewall. I also reused the oval rubber grommet to seal it up against the firewall.
I do remember clearance problems and I had to modify the arm that is bolted to the wiper motor with the ball end and on my first try I did not keep the ball end rotating in the same diameter circle as what it was originally and if that is not right the wipers will either not move enough or they will move too much and run over the cowl or the edge of the A pillars winsdhield molding.
To connect the wiper motors arm to the linkage I chose a spot on the original arm and cut it and then after some measuring, took another arm and took a section out of it to make it longer.
It's been a few years since I did it on mine but I also think I had to put a slight bend in the extended arm to clear some of the inner structure in the cowl.
By keeping the original motor I was able to just cut and extend the factory wiring to the wiper motors new location and if it ever fails it's fairly easy to get a replacement for it.
If you reloacte the wiper, leave the wiper arms off first to make sure the linkage works properly and then put on one wiper arm and check it's sweep on the glass and be ready to kill the power to the wiper motor so if it isn't adjusted right it won't damage the cowl or the windshields trim molding.
Jim
Old Mar 1st, 05, 06:28 AM
Senior Tech

Jim

I've used teh remote kit Bob speaks about. Very nice kit but does require some engineering.
Old Mar 2nd, 05, 05:54 AM
Team Member

Stan

Thanks for in info guys.Both good ideas.I appreciate your help.
Stan
Advertisement

Team Camaro Tech > First Generation Camaro Info and Tech - 1967- 1969 "Where it all started" > Body Shop      Current Topic: wiper motor relocation
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.