GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

Old Mar 6th, 06, 04:30 AM
Senior Tech

Default Disc brake conversion info

Wouldn't it be great if we developed a sticky that listed a "complete, update list with: potential donor cars, master cylinder recommendations, part numbers for e-brake cable and misc pieces, brake lines, prop. valves, etc, etc" for 1st gen related disc brake conversions.

Maybe with two categories, one for stock discs, 11" discs, and the other for CBB 13"/12". I know if you dig enough most of this information can be found, but it can be very time consuming and as popular as this conversion is it would definitely be welcomed......maybe then we could do the same for 1st gen suspension upgrades and actual troubleshooting....

Last edited by Rocketrod; Mar 6th, 06 at 07:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 6th, 06, 09:06 PM

David Pozzi

Default Re: We need a disc brake conversion sticky.....

If people want to post links or info to this thread, I can make it a sticky thread.
If you post a link, please give a short discription of what kind of info it contains.
I have a donor list and a fiew other things I can add.

Also be sure to check the Camaros.net main page for tech tips and info. DJD posted a brake swap there.
David

4 WHEEL POWER DISC, STOCK FRONT, TORONADO REAR.
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=75298

Last edited by davidpozzi; Mar 10th, 06 at 09:25 PM.
Old Mar 7th, 06, 01:55 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpozzi
Also be sure to check the Camaros.net main page for tech tips and info. DJD posted a brake swap there.
David
Here is a link, http://www.camaros.net/techref/articles/ftecref012.html , to the article Dave mentioned.
Old Mar 8th, 06, 10:32 AM

Dano

Fabulous idea! I had trouble finding in-depth info for a pdb swap last month. If it wasn't for Pozzi's page, I would have been lost! Thanks
Dano
Old Mar 13th, 06, 08:45 PM
Senior Tech

If you have done any research on upgrading your 1st gen with C4 brakes you have probably come across the link below. A very well written article with covering all aspects of the swap including part numbers.

http://www.geocities.com/torkerscamaro/torker.html
Old Mar 22nd, 06, 06:34 AM
Senior Tech

I have done the WS6 conversion on my 75 Camaro. It would be the same exact install on a 68 and 69. There are several donor cars available to use. The easiest would be the 79 to 81 Trams Am WS6. All the parts are still available new or rebuilt. The only required donor part is the caliper mounting bracket. The Trams Am brakes will not work on the 67 because they do not have staggered shocks. There are several other cars (Seville, Eldorado, & Riviera (78 - 84)) that are possible donors. I remember at least one of them has the calipers both clocked to the rear so they could be used on a 67. The only problem would be the bolt pattern if you are using the rotors. Some of the Cads had a 5" bolt circle versus the 4 3/4' circle on the f-bodies. I have a list of the GM part numbers that you can use and which ones will interchange. Shoot me an e-mail if you need them.

69 SS, 350, 4 Speed
69 350/350 4 Speed Corvette Convertible

Our Cars Click on my Cardomain user name to view both cars.
Old Mar 22nd, 06, 07:43 AM
Senior Tech

Tim

Thumbs up Re: We need a disc brake conversion sticky.....

69X11SS,

Check out my budget brake conversion in my signature. Some of your info is not exactly right.
Old Mar 23rd, 06, 06:06 AM
Senior Tech

Which part of my post do you find incorrect? The only thing that I gave absolute information about is the fact that the T/A setup would not bolt on to the 67. I did not mention modifying the brackets. There are a lot of different rear disc setups that can be made to work. The 79 - 81 T/A is the only direct bolt on application. The 76 - 79 Eldorados & Devilles and the 77 - 79 Sevilles have a 5 inch bolt circle. The 81 - 84 have a 4 3/4 bolt circle. The earlier Caddy's also had the 11 inch rotor versus the smaller ones on the later models.

69 SS, 350, 4 Speed
69 350/350 4 Speed Corvette Convertible

Our Cars Click on my Cardomain user name to view both cars.
Old Mar 23rd, 06, 08:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Harry

yes good idea for a seperate room for this.
aswell as any other major upgrades like manual to power steering etc.
coil over shocks conversion .
http://www.northeastf-bodyassn.com/
Old Mar 23rd, 06, 10:29 PM
Senior Tech

Tim

Cool Re: We need a disc brake conversion sticky.....

I wasn't trying to cut you up 69X11SS. Your years were a little off is all. Inclusive donor cars are the 79-85 Eldorado, 80-85 Seville, 79-85 Toronado and Riviera all with 10 1/2 diameters with a 5 on 4 3/4 bolt patterns. Parts are all the same according to Raybestos part numbers. This is the conversion I used. The donor cars are all rear mounted calipers. You can overcome this for the 68-9 or maybe later by using two right side calipers and in staggered positions.
I also have rear calipers and brackets from a 77 Fleetwood. I was originally going to use these for my Camaro but started looking at the brake bias in regards to the front calipers. They are huge and yes the rotor is 5 on 5. The rear rotor from the WS6 TA is exactly the same except a 5 on 4 3/4 bolt pattern, but I don't think the caliper is as big. I wonder if the 78 Eldorado/79 Seville and earlier and the Fleetwood are the same or if maybe they are the same as the WS6?
I don't have any of my Raybestos books here right now to look, else I would. What was the first year for the Seville/Eldorado rear disk brake option? What years are inclusive to the Fleetwood rear setup? I think you could just about get anything to work, just have to make/modify the right brackets and use an adjustable proportioning valve to increase and decrease pedal pressure to the rears.
I don't know how much better the newer brakes systems such as the C4/C5 corvette conversions or the 1LE and other 4th Gen Camaro conversions are when compared to my conversion but I am pretty sure that I couldn’t stop any quicker unless I upgraded my suspension and tires. You have to tune your brakes to your tires. Tires are what will limit an upgraded brake system. Once you hit the threshold to skid, more brake is not going to help you.
What are your thoughts?
Old Apr 22nd, 06, 10:00 AM

I haven't read everything yet... but will these rear disc set-ups fit 15" wheels ?
11.327 @ 116.79.
Best to Date....
RedЯum <-Pics
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of8WV...ature=youtu.be <~More here
Old Apr 24th, 06, 12:49 PM
Senior Tech

Tim

Post Re: We need a disc brake conversion sticky.....

The setup I describe fit perfect.
Old Jun 23rd, 06, 06:14 PM

you seem to no what you are talking about i whant to ax my drums and convert over to disc brakes but im on a really tight budget i have a 67 camaro..what years would enterchange with my 1967 camaro....i dont have a problem hunting junk yards for parts....thank you 4 your time...you allso could email me the info ronribalai@comcast.net
Old Jun 26th, 06, 10:17 PM
Senior Tech

Tim

Default Re: Disc brake conversion info

Raw,
Check out David Pozzi's site. Check out my links and do a search for the same topic. There is a lot of information and doing a lot of research goes a long way.
Here is the link to Pozzi's site, he lists most of the donor cars here, and is an excellent source of info on swapping.
http://www.pozziracing.com/brakes.ht...Drums_to_Discs
Old Jun 27th, 06, 10:26 PM

Exclamation Re: Disc brake conversion info

I read somewhere that 98-02 Camaro brakes work on a first gen with little trouble. I did a little research and it is true. I have 98 camaro brakes on my 69 all the way around and it only cost me $300. Believe me it stops on a dime, looks great and I didn't have to buy Bear brakes which I couldn't afford anyway. E-mail me at J69Camaro@aol.com and I can send pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement