Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

Old Feb 11th, 03, 04:23 PM

Hello Camaro enthusiasts! I am a new member of this forum and have a question. As of now I am stumped. I am helping a friend build a 67 SSRS 396 four speed which is Marina blue with code 732 bright blue interior. My friend's son is a painter and uses Dupont products--therefore they intend to shoot the car with Dupont chromapremier. Here comes the question. No one seems to be able to find a formula for code 732 blue interior in polyurethane! Can anyone help me? THANKS!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 11th, 03, 05:01 PM
Senior Tech

hey, i use some dupont chroma premier stuff, but aren't you looking for 732 vinyl dye for the interior??? or are you wanting the outside to be painted the interior color??? let us know
jake
Old Feb 12th, 03, 11:51 AM

No, I am looking for the correct paint for the metal dash surface, and around the rear window, etc. The interior color appears to be quite a bit different shade than the Marina blue exterior color. Maybe it should be the same??? I assume the interior painted surfaces have their own code. What do you think? Thanks guys!
Old Feb 13th, 03, 07:21 PM
Senior Tech

Hi musclecarmoffet
You are totally correct that the dash, and the inside top of the doors, and inside the rear quarter windows are a different shade than the exterior Marina Blue. I have my Marina Blue 67 convertible on a rotisserie right now and am facing the same dilemna. However, it will probably be two months before I have to worry about it.

Before I started this frame off, I painted a new speedo/fuel gauge carrier and the sides of my console with the Bright Blue paint from National Parts Depot in a rattle can. They turned out to be a very close match color wise. However, the rattle can doesn't have the exact same gloss look as the front of the dash. http://www.surfari.net/~scottmoo/interio.jpg

The last owner had repainted the outside Midnight blue and painted the door tops also. But, the dash was never repainted from the original Bright Blue color.

Now, for my frame off though I probably will be taking my glove box door to the local PPG guy for a computer scan. The top of the dash is definitely flatter than the front of the dash. I'm not sure about the inside top of the doors, though, if it matches the flat dash top or the glossier dash front. Maybe someone can jump in on that.

This 1 1/2 year old picture really makes me sad, because the interior really looked great. If it wasn't for all the bondo cracking under the midnight blue and poor previous body work, I'd still be driving it instead of spending all this time restoring it.

[This message has been edited by bonecrusher67conv (edited 02-13-2003).]
Old Feb 16th, 03, 04:03 PM

I want you all to know I appreciate any help you can give me! I would be happy with any dupont formula if anybody has one. I could shoot it out on a piece of metal, and scan it, and come up with a poly formula. Thanks again everyone!
Old Mar 2nd, 03, 10:09 AM

I have searched with no luck the past couple of weeks for the correct dash color and can't find a formula from any paint manufacturer. Maybe I am misunderstanding; are the interior surfaces a different color blue or are they Marina blue, shot at a different gloss? help!
Old Mar 2nd, 03, 11:47 AM
Senior Tech

1967 Med. Bright Blue is #9387LH. This is a semi-gloss color. This is from an old DuPont book, and it is for Lucite (lacquer), so I don't know if the number will be the same for polyurethane.
'68 Z/28 (VV)
'68 Drag Car(ZZ) 11.30 @ 118
'73 Corvette Drag Car 12.64 @ 106
Camaro
Old Mar 2nd, 03, 03:12 PM

Thumbs up

thank kyvox!!!!! I will try and cross it. If I cant maybe I can at least shoot out some laquer and then scan it for a formula [img]graemlins/hurray.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement