Edelbrock performer goes dry? - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

Old Apr 2nd, 06, 11:58 PM

Default Edelbrock performer goes dry?

When my car sits for more than a few days the carb has no fuel in it.
I have to run the starter till the carb fills back up and then pump the gas then its ok as long as it doesnt sit for more than 3 or 4 days??
It a new carb with maybe 300 miles on it.

Anybody know why??

Trick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 3rd, 06, 03:55 AM
Tech Team

John

Default Re: Edelbrock performer goes dry?

My 69 RS is basically the same. The pressure goes down after a few days but I don't have any issues starting it up again. Just have to let the pump do a little work.
Old Apr 3rd, 06, 10:15 AM
Senior Tech

Mechanical or electric fuel pump? If mechanical, I believe they are supposed to have an anti-drain-back valve in them. If the fuel is draining back through the line, then the problem may be the pump.

If you have electric pump, the only thing I can think of would be, depending on type of carburetor, possibly leaking well plugs inside the carb, bad gasket or sealing surface within the carb.. Are there any signs that raw gas is leaking into the engine?
Old Apr 3rd, 06, 04:02 PM
Tech Team

Thumbs down Re: Edelbrock performer goes dry?

I have the same problem with my Edelbrock 600 cfm carb after it sits for two or three days its like trying to start a car that has run out of gas.Then after i run the car for awhile seems like it floods out real easy after i park it for about 10 to 15 minutes and go to start it again.Never had much luck with these carbs myself believe i'll just go back to a holley carb.Forgot to mention it has new mechanical fuel pump.

Last edited by smokin 67 rs; Apr 3rd, 06 at 05:07 PM.
Old Apr 3rd, 06, 07:46 PM
Senior Tech

Dave

The carb has a float bowl in it, with a reservoir of fuel that should not be evaporating that quickly. Two things I would check:

1) take the carb off the car right after you run it and set it on some paper towels, then let it sit and check for leaks. You may just have a slow leak somewhere

2) my other thought is the bowl venting is too large and is allowing the fuel to evaporate quickly. Use something to restrict (but NOT totally block) the bowl vent and try that

-
Old Apr 3rd, 06, 07:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Jim

wierd... just can't see an edelbrock carb doing that. There simply are no holes in the main body below the fuel level.

When I repainted last year, I had mine on a shelf for 6 months... when I picked it back up, it was still full of fuel, lots of fuel. I turned it upside down to drain it so I could clean it up, lots and lots of fuel.

Jimragtop.com New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Old Apr 3rd, 06, 09:59 PM
Senior Tech

Eric

I have the same problem with mine. I have even taken the carb off and set it on the bench over night to see if the fuel drains out. It doesn't. I have talked to Edelbrock several times about problems I have had, and have tried every suggestion they had with no luck. I have even tried the heat shield type gasket with no luck. One problem I can see with the carb is the way the accelerator pump well fills. There is a slot in the top of the pump well for fuel to flow into. If the fuel level in the bowl drops even a little bit, it will be too low to flow into the pump well. Then the motor has to crank until the float bowl fills back up. Even though lots of people seem to love this carb, mine does not start well, runs lean at cruise, and has a terrible off idle stumble. If there is a solution I sure don't know what it is. I will be putting on the Holley very soon.
Old Apr 4th, 06, 05:47 PM
Senior Tech

Same problem here! Hard to start after a week or so, does not start well after is is good and warm, bad stumble off idle. Any ideas?!!!
Old Apr 4th, 06, 06:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Jim

Mine "used to be" hard to start, took 10 seconds of cranking and lots of pumping. Used to have an off idle stumble, too.

I got rid of the stumble and most of the hard starting years ago by switching from points to an Accel distritbutor, and changing thre primary jets, rods, and step up springs.

Got rid of a bunch more of the hard starting by going to an MSD RTR distributor.

I didn't touch the carb or distributor while I was rebuilding my motor. The new motor just starts, period. I might stab it once when it's stone cold, just to set the choke. I just kinda wave my hand over the key, it's running before it comepletes a revolution. I'm also working my way back to stock calibration, the stumple ain't back.

Not quite sure what my point is, except that I've had these problems, and blamed the carb, and was mostly wrong.

Jimragtop.com New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Old Apr 4th, 06, 07:57 PM
Senior Tech

I can leave mine sit for a month, hit the gas once and she will fire almost immediately, however after you run it and let it sit for 20 minutes it acts as if it is flooded. I've been through this thing backwards and forwards adn decided that until I get the motor redone I will just live with it. For what it's worth I have a Edelbrock 600 cfm carb and an MSD RTR dizzy and other than just the slightest bit(other people don't notice it) of hesitation off idle it runs awesome.
Old Apr 4th, 06, 08:45 PM
Senior Tech

Steps

A different why to look at the hard start after sitting...
Its better to have the engine turn over for a short period to pick up the oil, otherwise u are starting on an engine with all the oil drained back into the sump.
Cold starting is the time when most wear takes place because of the lack of oil
Old Apr 16th, 06, 05:23 AM
Senior Tech

Try raising the idle speed up from the suggested camaro spec - that helped the stumble for me.

Same flooded feeling when restarting after fully warm and come back out of the store after about 10 mins. Starts on first turn, but takes about 6 seconds, after feeling like she is flooded. My carb is 600 cfm new Performer.

best
JL
Old Apr 20th, 06, 07:37 AM

the flood after running is inmy case fuel boiling from carb. my engine is 180 on shut down and if i run into a store and right back out temp gauge will be 210 or so, carb is also chrome!! chrome holds heat. 3rd im using performer rpm non airgap. lots of probs so far. kicker gas boils at 50 degree f . fuel boils out floats drop and pressure drops off from pump. first day or so accel pump holds fuel. but more than few days and its evap. fuel is left in tank and gotta pump to front all over again. this fit anyone else's situation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement