Wiring an electric fan with a relay - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

Old May 3rd, 06, 03:31 PM
Senior Tech

Exclamation Wiring an electric fan with a relay

I need some info on how to correctly wire my electric fan.

I have a relay that I pick up ignition power from the remote solenoid. I pick battery power from the horn relay. Output (+) wire runs to the fan. My temp sensor is a Flex-a-lite adjsutable unit. I run the ground wire from the relay to the "C" postion on the switch. This I believe provides a ignition controlled power source. I then run a fused (+) positive source to the "2" position.

IS this correct.

Last edited by HwyStarJoe; Feb 15th, 12 at 09:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 06, 12:25 AM
Senior Tech

Default Re: wiring a electric fan with a relay

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH32
I need some info on how to correctly wire my electric fan.

I have a relay that I pick up ignition power from the remote solenoid. I pick battery power from the horn relay. Output (+) wire runs to the fan. My temp sensor is a Flex-a-lite adjsutable unit. I run the ground wire from the relay to the "C" postion on the switch. This I believe provides a ignition controlled power source. I then run a fused (+) positive source to the "2" position.

IS this correct.
I don't believe it is. What kind of relay are you using? Does it have numbers or letters on the relay terminals? Is your Flex-a-lite adjustable temp sensor part# 31148? Heres how to wire it correctly using a Bosch style relay (numbers), and a Flex-a-lite adjustable temp sensor part# 31148, if you want the fan controlled by the key (key off fan off) Also see pics below

For relay
86, to IGN terminal at fuse box
85, to ground
30, from horn relay
87, to terminal 2 at adjustable temp sensor

For adjustable temp sensor
2, to terminal 87 at relay
C, to fan positive

Old May 4th, 06, 04:44 AM
Senior Tech

By wiring it that way woul I be running power for the fans thru the switch? I would think that would burn up the switch.

Can you wire power for the fans through the relay and just use the fan switch to turn off an on the relay?

Is so, would not the wiring be different?
Old May 4th, 06, 09:09 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
By wiring it that way would I be running power for the fans thru the switch? I would think that would burn up the switch.
Are you referring to the manual switch in the Flex-a-lite instructions? Yes, power for the fans goes through the switch. No, I wouldn't use it. It would only give manual on control, no off control via the switch.
Quote:
Can you wire power for the fans through the relay and just use the fan switch to turn off an on the relay?
Is so, would not the wiring be different?
Depends on what kind of manual control you want or need. Jut on control, just off control, regardless of temp, regardless of key pos? Putting a switch on the relay coil (85 or 86) would only give off control, no on control. If you want manual control, determine want kind you want first as it will determine how to wire everything.
Old May 4th, 06, 12:37 PM
Senior Tech

Well, i'm really not interested in manuel control. However, it would be nice to be able to run the fan while in the staging lane. Car is mainly a cruiser.
Old May 4th, 06, 12:46 PM
Senior Tech

Say I wanted on and off control in the staging lanes when the temp bot to around 200*.
Old May 4th, 06, 01:19 PM
Senior Tech

Re-read your post. Yes, I would say I would want on and off ability reguardless of temp and key position.
Old May 5th, 06, 09:54 AM
Senior Tech

Greg, checked the relay, nothing on it. I wired it the following way. Ground to Ground, Wire to get ignition is off solenoid. Wire to get battery power comes from junction box. Output wire would run to fan. I guess this wire could run to the switch as you mentioned, but I'm afaird I would burn the switch up.

It is same adjustable unit you have listed.
Old May 5th, 06, 01:34 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Re-read your post. Yes, I would say I would want on and off ability reguardless of temp and key position.
I will draw up a diagram or two for you, will post Saturday sometime.
Old May 5th, 06, 05:17 PM
Senior Tech

Thanks Greg. I would appreciate that.
Old May 6th, 06, 03:45 PM
Senior Tech

Like anything else, there is more than one way to skin a cat. Diagram 1

Here the relay has entire control of the fan. The temp controller is used on the low amp coil part of the circuit and the indash switch is a 3 position switch with 2 on positions and a off position. In the off position, fan is off regardless of temp and key position. In on 1 position (the normal position) getting IGN power, the fan only comes on when the key is on and temp is over your preset value. Fan turns off whenever temp drops or key is turned off. In on position 2, getting battery power, fan comes on regardless of temp and key position.

Diagram 2

Here is one with 2 relays and the indash switch is just a simple on/off indash switch.
The fan only comes on when the key is on and temp is over your preset value. Fan turns off whenever temp drops or key is turned off. The indash switch turns the fan on regardless of temp and key position, and only off if the key is off, or key on and below temp.(if the key is on and above temp, fan will stay on)

There are several other variations that can be use too. In any case, make sure battery power is isolated from IGN power. If it is not, it can backfeed (basically power bypassing your key switch) and keep the car running after the key is turned off. Be sure everything is fused close to where you are getting power from (battery and IGN power)

Correction, in the diagrams 86 is power and 85 is ground

Last edited by undee72Z; May 6th, 06 at 04:55 PM. Reason: opps
Old May 7th, 06, 04:32 AM
Senior Tech

Awesome Greg. Thanks alot.
Old May 30th, 06, 02:59 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by undee72Z
Like anything else, there is more than one way to skin a cat. Diagram 1

Here the relay has entire control of the fan. The temp controller is used on the low amp coil part of the circuit and the indash switch is a 3 position switch with 2 on positions and a off position. In the off position, fan is off regardless of temp and key position. In on 1 position (the normal position) getting IGN power, the fan only comes on when the key is on and temp is over your preset value. Fan turns off whenever temp drops or key is turned off. In on position 2, getting battery power, fan comes on regardless of temp and key position.
I was helping another member about questions on the switch... Not all on/off/on toggle switches are made the same, the type of switch that has to be used is the kind that does not buss all the terminals in any on position, and 2 of the terminals are never bussed in any on position. If they are and the switch is in that on position battery power will back feed into ignition power and when the key is turned off, the car can keep running assuming a fuse doesn't blow. Battery power must always be isolated from ignition power. Always check your switch with a meter before using. The type of switch below will work, Conduct Tite part# 85919. For wiring one "on acc" terminal gets battery power, the other "on acc" terminal gets ignition power through the adj temp controler. Supply volts is out to 86 on the relay

Old Dec 28th, 11, 08:22 PM
Senior Tech

Don

This thread should be a sticky..
Old Dec 29th, 11, 02:58 AM

Default Re: Wiring a electric fan with a relay

Here's a couple I've saved...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Relay-Diagram.jpg
Views:	2325