GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Camaro Tech General Tech Area
For best results use specific forums

Old Jun 18th, 06, 10:30 PM

Default What is a 67 RS/SS worth?

I am new to this hobby. Looking to buy a 67 RS/SS. It is fully restored interior. New paint job. Original 14" wheels. New automatic transmission. New 350 crate motor. It is not numbers matching. What should I pay for it ???? Will this car appreciate in value without a numbers matching engine? Can it still be a show car? Any input from you guys would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
-Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 19th, 06, 02:35 AM

Default Re: What is a 67 RS/SS worth?

so far from what i have seen is that first gen camaros are just getting more and more expensive. how much is it being sold for and how much work is needed on it? yes it can be a show car. though i would just make it a nice pro street. just my .02 cents.
Old Jun 19th, 06, 04:31 AM

Bob

Cool Re: What is a 67 RS/SS worth?

I know it would be your car, and it goes without saying that you should build it as you like it, but take it from someone who's been there, I'd strongly recommend against the Pro Street route, unless you have no intentions of ever selling the car. You WILLl lose money on it- no doubt. Mine was one of the nicest I know of, period, and the yield at resale time was a bit more than 50 cents on the dollar. Keep the mods to bolt ons. When you heavily modify the car, it comes with a risk. Yes, pro touring is the current rage and many of these cars are expensive, but the market is much more narrow than for a stock or mildly modified car.

BelAir Bob

69 Z28 X33 D80 Dusk Blue
69 Z28 X33 Rally Green

http://www.belairbobs.com
Old Jun 19th, 06, 06:30 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazkoon
I am new to this hobby. Looking to buy a 67 RS/SS. It is fully restored interior. New paint job. Original 14" wheels. New automatic transmission. New 350 crate motor. It is not numbers matching. What should I pay for it ???? Will this car appreciate in value without a numbers matching engine? Can it still be a show car? Any input from you guys would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
-Ken
This is something I don't quite understand. Mine is a NUmbers matching SS/RS 396 325 HP 68 Camaro. I paid a premium for this but there's so many people passing off their cars as SS/RS without being numbers matching. To me this is like saying I've got a non numbers matching 427 SS COPO. It means nothing. Without proof such as numbers matching engine/trans/diff etc or documentation it means nothing. It's no more valuable than a numbers macthing 6 cylinder car.

My 2C
Old Jun 19th, 06, 07:01 AM
Senior Tech

Craig

Since its a 67 and if you (we) can determine the cowl tag is legit, lines up with the VIN on the car or you have other documentation... then it does mean something and without a doubt add value to the car. You can certainly have an RS/SS non-numbers matching car. So i guess im a little confused by tronics statement.

What are you basing your info on in terms of saying its an RS/SS? The other thing to note is that a 4P on the cowl doesnt always mean SS..could be an L30/M20 car. Beyond that the condition of the car is going to mean everything... so without knowing more its really tough to give a good solid number on what its worth.
Old Jun 19th, 06, 08:51 AM
Retired

Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazkoon
Thanks
-Ken
Hey Ken, welcome to TC and welcome to the confusing world of the collector car. Let's start with, can it be a show car? As someone else already stated, sure it can be a show car, any car can be a show car. If your question was really meaning to be much deeper, can it be competitive in a nationally recognized points judging shows where being an all original survivor or restored car is what is being judged then the answer is no. That's really an extreme example of the car show spectrum though.

Repainted cars with aftermarket seats and replacement blocks with original parts or parts that look original can win original class in a local community car show though because of the lack of knowledge on the part of the judges who usually are either sponsors or other participants. This type of show is really a "what car do you like best" show and all it takes is an aged paint job to enter or be placed the original class. I suspect it's the reason someone like tronic72 has a complaint being an owner of a numbers matching car... See what I mean about confusing? Anything but nationally recognized points shows should be looked at as social events where if you go home with a trophy it's gravy on the potato's. If you go home empty handed because the sponsors son in laws big block car with a small block heater box and 6cyl tag won your class, don't be disappointed, expect it and just enjoy the day for the social event it was.

As for value of any given car, it has to be desirable first. Second it has to be finished in a way that the masses will appreciate. (to those that read my feelings on "It's your car, do as you wish" here's a reason it's easier said than done) Of course an all original rs/ss or Z/28 will go up in value as time passes, chances are a 6cyl bench seat, colume shift car will too. You can expect to loose money if you buy a project for a large sum and have to sink a small fortune into it though. Our forums here bare witness to guys putting $60K or more into restoring a car back to original spec's and that doesn't include the cost of the car only to sell it later for $50K. In todays market you can make choices that will add value when modifying or you can do as Bob as done and cast all inhibition aside and spare no expense and build an amazing car that has half the market value of the investment. Remember, even though cars can be investments they also are hobbies and pastimes. Those are things you put money into only expecting enjoyment and fun as the return. Taking an Alaskan Cruise or spending a couple weeks in Mexico cost us and we don't arrive home expecting to be handed a check and dividends... If you are looking for an investment find a car with as much documentation as you can or one there is no question what it is. Then find a car that is desirable and is finished if it's a restored car. If it's an original car find one that can be maintained without getting into a restoration, one that isn't rusting away and has a good interior and paint. Expect to pay top dollar for your investment car, sure there is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow but very few will find it. If you do that's a bonus, you'll be way ahead buying an established car but that typically requires a big investment up front.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
Old Jun 19th, 06, 11:43 AM

Thanks for the mixed message guys The engine info is not available due to the new engine, but the car has its protecto plate and the original documentation from the dealer (date sold, location, etc.) The car is listed at $18,500. Is this a good price? I know that it is pretty difficult to tell if a car is truley an RS/SS without the engine. It seems pretty clean. I am planning on taking it to a mechanic to take a look later this week. Any other advice. Thanks,
Ken
Old Jun 19th, 06, 06:30 PM
Senior Tech

Craig

RS/SS with documentation for $18,500 sounds like a very good deal from here. Pics would help a bunch if you could post some.
Old Jun 19th, 06, 07:16 PM
Senior Tech

Pat

From what I've seen the last few days,if this car is what you say...then buy it or I will!!!! My story is this.I have a good buddy in Texas thats looking for a 1st gen camaro,preferably...you guessed it a 69.I have a 67 so he asked me to look around here, Nashville,to see what was on the market. In a word a bunch of over priced,better, ridiculously priced JUNK and I mean JUNK. He had a horror story to tell me about looking at one in TX over the weekend and we came to this conclusion.Buy a good solid car that no idiot has tried to "partially" restore and do it yourself. But it sounds like you've found a good car for a good price and as most of these guys have said,they're doing nothing but going up,so I'd move on it pretty quick.There is a huge car show/swap meet/car sale going on at Titans stadium in Nashville this weekend.Suppose to be 2000+ cars here...maybbe my faith will be redeemed in the classic car salesthing...but I doubt it
Old Jun 19th, 06, 07:21 PM
Senior Tech

Craig

Agreed...if it is what you say i would move quick as it wont be available long!
Old Jun 19th, 06, 09:55 PM
Senior Tech

Bob

I would get a pic of the cowl tag for the pros here to look at and let you know if it is realy a ss/rs are something else.
Old Jun 20th, 06, 08:43 PM
Senior Tech

Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Rat
I would get a pic of the cowl tag for the pros here to look at and let you know if it is realy a ss/rs are something else.
I agree. You have to post some pictures of the cowl tag and vin to check for a fake cowl tag, and to see if the Vin lines up with the build date on the tag. The tag will tell you on a 67 if it is a RS/SS, but you have to verify if it is the right tag for the car. Also check the hidden Vin under the cowl on the passenger side to be sure it matches with the Vin inside the drivers door.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...rch2009478.jpg

Member of Cool Runnin Camaros:
http://www.coolrunnincamaros.com/
Old Jun 21st, 06, 07:24 PM

BelAirBob, i was thinking pro street to be something different. more along the lines of a beefy daily driver is what i was thinking.
Old Jun 21st, 06, 08:41 PM

Bob

Gotcha..... When I saw "Pro Street" mentioned, I just pictured my "tubed and tubbed" version. Cool to look at and drive, just not a great financial move in my experience.

BelAir Bob

69 Z28 X33 D80 Dusk Blue
69 Z28 X33 Rally Green

http://www.belairbobs.com
Old Jun 21st, 06, 08:58 PM
Senior Tech

Talking Re: What is a 67 RS/SS worth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelAirBob
Gotcha..... When I saw "Pro Street" mentioned, I just pictured my "tubed and tubbed" version. Cool to look at and drive, just not a great financial move in my experience.
That's only because you sold it to our local car flipper friend, Danny "Don't Look Now I Just Bought and Sold Another Car" Bayliss..................he sold that car faster than green grass through a goose..........Shoot, that boy's so rich, he buys a new boat each time one gets wet..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement