Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Performance Our High Performance area

Old Jun 29th, 06, 07:33 PM
Senior Tech

Default Waterpump to fit over Cloyes timing cover??

Everybody talks up the Cloyes timing chain cover so I installed one today on my 383. The hydraulic roller cam button is great to adjust. Now that its on, my short water pump will not fit.

Who is using this cover and what water pump are you using???

Thanks, Erik
67 Camaro Pro Street, 540 Bill Mitchell Merlin big block, Merlin Aluminum heads, Holley 870, hydraulic camshaft, 2" Hooker Super Comp headers, Mallory and Crane ignition system, TH400, 2600 stahl, Ford 9" w/ 4:10 gears and posi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 29th, 06, 08:22 PM
Senior Tech

Joe

Default Re: Waterpump to fit over Cloyes timing cover??

On our circle track engines we make spacers out of 1/8" aluminum and use a stewart stage 3 short water pump with 1/8" shim on bottom pulley . It's a bit of a hassle but works.
Old Jun 29th, 06, 11:37 PM
Tech Team

I just used a long style water pump and the matching march pulleys...

right now I'm using a stock fan shroud and a clutch fan, but, I intend to use an electric fan when I get the $$$ (mark VIII)...
Old Jun 30th, 06, 02:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Don

Using Cloyes set up with hexadjust cover and long stewart pump here but you should be able to use the other name brand also. Remember there are two pump pulley heights..
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E
http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=115_1577.jpg
Old Jun 30th, 06, 04:48 AM
Senior Tech

Cloyes says the cover is designed to fit most small water pumps. My biggest problem is, I just shelled out $200 for the March V to Serp. Conversion for a short water pump and I really want to keep the alternator on the drivers side.

Thanks, Erik
67 Camaro Pro Street, 540 Bill Mitchell Merlin big block, Merlin Aluminum heads, Holley 870, hydraulic camshaft, 2" Hooker Super Comp headers, Mallory and Crane ignition system, TH400, 2600 stahl, Ford 9" w/ 4:10 gears and posi.
Old Jun 30th, 06, 09:19 AM
Senior Tech

erik;
can you swap the serpentine setup for a long pump setup?
i know there are spacers out there for the short pump, but i think that will mess up the whole pulley alignment.
it seems like the final stages of engine assembly are where all the little demons rear their ugly heads huh?

Eric B
86 camaro,383,topline vortecs,scat crank,wiseco forged 9.5:1,6"scat rods,comp xs282s,performer rpm,750 proform vac sec,msd in cap, hooker coated 1 5/8"headers,3"flowmaster,700r4,2800 stall,3.42 10 bolt posi,hotchkiss lca's,aje tube k member & a-arms
Old Jun 30th, 06, 12:53 PM
Senior Tech

Mike Rogers

The only water pump that fits is a long everything else has to have shims as stated or you can take a die grinder to the pump and add clearance.

I once asked cloyes about what pump they were using they could not tell me.

Automotive Machine Shop
Racing . Stock . Antique
Complete Engine Rebuilding
215-674-5240
www.rogersperformance.com
rogersperformance@msn.com
Old Jul 13th, 06, 06:13 AM
Senior Tech

Well, I finally got the short water pump to fit over the Cloyes Timing Chain Cover. It wasn't the easiest thing to do but it works and doesn't touch at all. I ended up going to Jegs and asking to see all there short water pumps in stock. Of course the most expensive one, the Edelbrock Victor one, had the most backside clearance. Almost a full 1/4" more clearance then the Weiand one I had. There was one bolt on the back of the waterpump that would hit the timing chain cover so I just ground that down to about 1/2 the originall head thickness. Then the two top allen head screws on the front removable plate on the timing chain cover had to be ground down as well. I can still use an allen key to take it off and there is plenty of clearance. I still have to get the rest off the motor back together after the cam swap but the hardest part is done.

So yes!! You can use a short water pump with a little time clearance some bolts. Now that it is done, If I had to do it again it would only take 5 minutes.

Thanks, Erik
Old Jul 13th, 06, 08:31 AM
Senior Tech

ain't it cool when you can grind your problems away? !!!
86 camaro,383,topline vortecs,scat crank,wiseco forged 9.5:1,6"scat rods,comp xs282s,performer rpm,750 proform vac sec,msd in cap, hooker coated 1 5/8"headers,3"flowmaster,700r4,2800 stall,3.42 10 bolt posi,hotchkiss lca's,aje tube k member & a-arms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement