Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Restoration Corner Where originality comes first

Old Aug 22nd, 06, 07:42 PM

Question Need help deciding how to restore engine compartment

got my motor out and and currently planning on totally repainting everything in the engine compartment, I was wondering exactly what sanding/priming/etc I should do to get a decent looking durable finish. Its gonna be black rattlecan, but I want to make sure I use the right stuff and the right process to make it last and look nice. help is highly appretiated!!

brandon_66679
1967 camaro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 22nd, 06, 10:03 PM
Senior Tech

Joe

Default Re: Need help deciding how to restore engine compartment

brandon , after you have all your cleaning and prep work done , i would recomend Sem Black trim paint , or Eastwoods under hood black . with out seeing the car i can't tell you how to prep it ( Ie) sanding ect
Old Aug 23rd, 06, 03:21 AM
Senior Tech

Johnny

go to the body shop part of this forum and read up on this topic. Also do a search on painting engines and you will have hours of reading to go through.
67Camaro 396BB 750Holley, edlebrock performer,280isky,3.42 posi, turbo 350,stage 2 shift kit, 2800 stall, MSDready to run distributor, headers, 2.5"exhaust, Hotchkis(1.5"/2"drop).(orig.Deep water blue/light blue dlx inter, v8 column shift/bench seat)
Old Aug 23rd, 06, 11:26 AM
Senior Tech

Check out the October issue of Car Craft, they go through the process of painting an engine compartment. They do it to a Rambler and use a two stage base coat clear coat, but a lot of what they do should apply to you as well.
Old Aug 24th, 06, 09:31 PM
Tech Team

Use 320 sand paper to sand it down, wirewheels are good if there is old undercoat on there. How bad is it. Do you need to apply bondo anywhere, if so you need 36 grit and 80 grit sand paper. Did you strip the engine compartment down to the metal, if so you need to clean the metal with thinner then apply epoxy primer first. Then you sand the expoxy lightly with 320 and apply primer filler. If the engine compartment still has paint on it and you just need to apply primer filler; sand the engine compartment down with 320 grit sand paper, rough spots 180 grit. Then clean the engine compartment with wax and grease remover, then apply the primer filler. If you want to prime it twice, sand it down with 180 the first time, prime it again then sand it with 320. On show cars I prime the engine compartment twice. If you'd like I can tell you what primer, paint, etc. I use. I own a restoration shop and use the best stuff out there, expensive though. I use hot rod black on engine compartments and other areas that require semi gloss, but it has to be mixed very well. I have picture of the hot rod black on a 69 camaro dash and a 69 boss 302 on my site. www.jcautorestoration.com. Hope this helped.

Chris
www.jcautorestoration.com
Old Aug 24th, 06, 09:34 PM
Tech Team

Describe how the engine compartment looks, pics would be nice. I can break it down better for you then.

Chris
www.jcautorestoration.com
Old Aug 26th, 06, 07:11 PM
Senior Tech

RJ

Johnny67, beautiful job under the hood. My power brake booster and master cylinder and all is black, can I sandblast it or what>
rj
Old Aug 27th, 06, 11:44 AM
Senior Tech

Johnny

Thanks RJ. It all depends on how much money you want to spend. Mine cost me $20 lol, I just bought 3 cans of spray paint and it turned out better than I thought. I just sanded it down and primered everything then masked it and painted. I did this with everything still on the car. I have a thread in the bodyshop section.http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=87388

The proper way (which I plan on doing some day) is to take it all off the car booster and all. You can either get the booster you have replated gold cadium or buy a new one either way it will cost in the $200 range. Your master cylinder you said is black, if its semi gloss black its the proper color. It can be semi gloss black or natural finish, which was what I was going for to get some more color contrast in the engine bay.

67Camaro 396BB 750Holley, edlebrock performer,280isky,3.42 posi, turbo 350,stage 2 shift kit, 2800 stall, MSDready to run distributor, headers, 2.5"exhaust, Hotchkis(1.5"/2"drop).(orig.Deep water blue/light blue dlx inter, v8 column shift/bench seat)
Old Aug 27th, 06, 08:53 PM

Old Aug 27th, 06, 10:03 PM
Senior Tech

Johnny

Before you start sanding make sure that engine compartment is spotless. Use soap and water then when its dry go over it with grease and wax remover. Only then should you start sanding it. The reason is that you will end up sanding whatever is on the paint into it.

It's painful for me to look at those pics because I just spent 2 months with my head in the engine compartment doing the same job lol. At least you can do a better job with the engine out.
Old Aug 29th, 06, 03:23 PM
Senior Tech

Mike

First And Formost...get That Thing Pressure Cleaned. It Will Cut Alot Of B/s Of Cleanining With Solvants.
Def Prep Work Is The Key To A Quality Job..the Best Thing For The Fender Wells And Rad Support Is Powder Coating. I Know Is Pricey But Its Worth It.no Worrying About Peeling, Scratching Etc. Good Luck
Old Aug 29th, 06, 03:24 PM
Senior Tech

Mike

Forgot To Ask..what Color Is That Camaro,dusk Blue????
Old Aug 29th, 06, 11:13 PM

heres a couple of pic of when I was driving it last year. motor was good but want more compression, and chassis needs paint

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Team Camaro Tech > First Generation Camaro Info and Tech - 1967- 1969 "Where it all started" > Restoration Corner      Current Topic: Need help deciding how to restore engine compartment
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.