GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

Old Sep 5th, 06, 03:08 PM
Tech Team

Default Time between base coat and clear coat

I've read several articles on base coat/clear coat painting but have not seen this addressed. Maybe it isn't pertinent but I would like to make sure. I'm ready to spray my '67 and would like to know if there is a minimum or maximum time to wait after spraying the base coat before applying the clear coat? Is the clear applied as soon as the base dries, should you wait 'til the next day, what's the best way to proceed? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 5th, 06, 03:21 PM
Senior Tech

Default Re: Time between base coat and clear coat

You need to read the P-sheet for the brand of paint you plan to use. For instance, PPG's DBC/DBI product specifies a time between coats of 5-10 minutes and a "Dry Time to Clearcoat" of 15 minuts at 70F with a maximum of 24 hours.

If you miss the 24 hour window for getting your clear coat sprayed out, you'll need to scuff the base to specs, spray another coat of base and then clear within the 24 hour window.

Other products have different recoat windows. Learn your way around the product sheets for the paint you've chosen before starting the job. Most paint vendors have the product sheets online. If you can't find them, your paint jobber has them at the counter. Many paint failures are the result of incorrect product use and recoat window is an important spec. Missing the recoat window will reduce or prevent the chemical bond between layers and clear can peel off.
Old Sep 5th, 06, 03:25 PM

dan

Default Re: Time between base coat and clear coat

it really depends on the manufacturer. it could be anywere from 10 to 30min. get a tech sheet for the base you are using. or call the palce you ordered it from. they should know. i usaully wait 10-15min between base and clear unless there is a problem. also, another factor to consider is the reducer that you are using. that will also help determine the flash time in between coats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement