What ever happened to Blue Chip Stamps? - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

Old Sep 27th, 06, 04:16 PM
Senior Tech

Default What ever happened to Blue Chip Stamps?

My wife and I were talking about the good ole days and one of the topics was about Blue Chip Stamps and S&H green stamps. Remember them? Although I was a youngster back when they had the program, I remember having a catalog with all the cool stuff you could get with the right amount of stamps. My mom and dad would bring home the stamps after going to the grocery store or filling up at the gas station. I would then paste the stamps in the book and then send it off to redeem it for a gift. I remember getting a camera from the catalog and some other cool stuff. Just thought I would share this trip down memory lane. Does anyone else remember Blue and Green Stamps? What ever happen to them? Just curious.

Camaro buds until the end!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 27th, 06, 04:28 PM
Senior Tech

Al

Default Re: What ever happened to Blue Chip Stamps?

Only us old guys remember S&H Green stamps. Never heard of Blue Chips - although I got real drunk once and Blew Chips - either I'm not old enough or it was a Cali only thing.
Old Sep 27th, 06, 05:15 PM
Retired

Dennis

Believe it or not S&H is still alive but in a virtual way... www.greenpoints.com

Here's a bit more on the stamps that ruled the consumer of the '60s... www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mgreenstamps.html

Man we had tupperware full of books of collected stamps at our house, both blue chip and s&h green...

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
Old Sep 27th, 06, 05:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Mike, 69's rule

My dad used to be in a bowling league that paid out in blue chip stamps. I remember my mom pasting them and the green stamps back when I was a kid, I also remeber that in the green stamp catalog you could buy a sunbeam tiger, (I think)....for about 2000 books...

1969 Camaro
1990 IROCZ28 convertible
2004 Silverado Z71 4x4
1981 Mazda RX-7
GGSMU member
http://www.ggsmu.com/
Old Sep 27th, 06, 06:32 PM
Senior Tech

Bill

Darn, now I am considered officially OLD
Old Sep 27th, 06, 06:45 PM
Senior Tech

I remember as kid going to the S&H store in Owensboro, KY with my parents...
Old Sep 27th, 06, 08:30 PM

Dano

I remember the S&H green stamps!! My grandma had tons of them and she would buy something for the grandkids once in a while. Anyone remember getting toys at gas stations and toys in the kids meals at local burger joints that you could actually run the risk of getting hurt by?
Dano
Old Sep 27th, 06, 09:30 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDanB View Post
I remember the S&H green stamps!! My grandma had tons of them and she would buy something for the grandkids once in a while. Anyone remember getting toys at gas stations and toys in the kids meals at local burger joints that you could actually run the risk of getting hurt by?
Dano
Dano, I think it was called a Happy Meal unless you choked of course

Dennis, thanks for the link......I wasn't aware S&H went cyber.

Yes...... I guess if you remember Blue Chip and Green stamps, you are not far from being eligible for AARP

Camaro buds until the end!!!
Old Sep 27th, 06, 10:16 PM
Senior Tech

Dayton

Ah.........another trip down memory lane. I remember both stamps. Mostly gas stations and grocery stores gave them out. It was fun to lick the stamps and paste them in the books. I got most of my camping and sporting goods with these stamps. We had a Blue Chip redemption store in my town.
I also remember the "gas wars" in the 60's. Gas stations fiercely tries to undercut each others prices, doctors made house calls, we had a burger stand that sold 5 burgers for a $1, movie theater was $.25 on Sat, the cold war with Russia(we had a Titan Missle silo almost in our backyard).
Ah ... the good old days.
Old Sep 27th, 06, 11:56 PM

You are getting old if you remember Fotomat.
Old Sep 28th, 06, 12:08 AM
Senior Tech

mike

We had S&H and one called Gold Strike stamps. Does anyone remember bringing back the pop bottles in a wagon for cash? Bulk oil in a bottle for a .25? Twirl Town Toy racks? 1/24 scale, 1/32 scale, and HO slot cars? Marble bags with steelies, cats eyes, popeyes, boy scouts, ketchup & mustard, benningtons, clearies, shooters? How about sharing a popsycle? Atomic wedgie? Want a couple of acres? Take a bow? I called it? Wait till your father comes home? Sucking face? Appletons, spinners, curb feelers, suicide knobs, flatheads, full house mouse, flamer, whitewalls, crome reverse, overdrive? Water slide decals, Rat Fink, Mothers Worry, snake eyes, switchblades, pall malls, greasers, gassers, true detective magazines, Perry Mason, Jerry Lewis & Dean Martin, juke boxes, Paul Revere & Raiders, Laugh in, drive inns, drive inn movies, malts, freshly mixed coke, penny candy, Andy Griffith show, Ed Sullivan, Buddy Hackett, Phil Silvers, Connie Francis, silver dollars, gas tokens, national geographic, tonka trucks, baseball cards, lone ranger, roy rogers, trigger, lassie, "one really smart *** dog", rin tin tin, "another one", howdy doody, bozo the clown, buzz cut, bottle openers, "church keys", pop top cans, pickles in a barrel, oil cans, bias ply tires, full service, gas with lead, cutoffs, sneakers, 5 & 10 stores, woolworths, twice pipes, reverb radios, 6 volt batteries, generators, fluid drive trans, smokey the bear, tricycles, stingray bikes, stretch armstrong, super balls, whamo frisbees, jart, slingshots, donald duck, roadrunner, daffy duck, bugs, yosemite, tweety, dick tracey, 6 2 & even, over & out, cracker jack, nightmare theatre, black & white tv, tube radios, radio contests, squirt, rc cola, bubble up, near beer, apple beer, fenton shifters, cheater slicks, brownie cameras, 8mm movies, pong game, pinballs machines, superman, capt. america, thor god of thunder, sgt. rock & easy company, 4 tracks, 8 tracks, reel to reels, 33 1/3 lps, mono-stereo, craig, muntz, pioneer, timex, pocket watches, wind up toys, cast iron cars, hubley, kenton, marx, revell, cox, daisey, lead soldiers, promo cars, erector sets, tinker toy, buddy l, lionell, mumbly peg, jack knife, 3 stooges, tuck & roll, school lunches, "there are starving children in asia that would eat that", let em, nuns & their multi-shot rulers, bargain basements, tweed slacks, zippo lighters, frantz oil filters, cleaning spark plugs, points, 1 barrel carb, chassis lubrication, who the hell started this trip in time anyway! I guess I am ready for my Geritol and a nap. Well, maybe I will go crank up some AC-DC, Zeppelin, or Pink Floyd to cheer me up........
Old Sep 28th, 06, 04:32 AM

<Jake 68's Rule

Gold Bond stamps, also. There was even a store for Pepsi bottle cap redemption, 3 caps = 1 stamp, Tonka trucks, Barbie dolls, Erector sets, Lincoln Logs, Lionel trains, etc., etc.

Loved the full service = lean across the windshield to clean and see a pair of legs...........

Jane Russell, Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn, Jackie Gleason, Art Carney, Vargas girls,

Nap time now.......
Old Sep 28th, 06, 07:04 AM
Banned

Yes, almost everything in nikkisdad's list.

And, to me, times were simpler back then even tho we didn't have as much!

We were a younger country that still had a bit of "green-ness" left in us!

Now, we've gotten too smart for our own good and are fast turning into the way the rest of the World is AND imho, that is to where you have to have the fix in and lying is common-place b/c morals go right out the door!!

You know, you are either "in the group and have" OR are "onna the others to be controlled"!!!!!

pdq67
Old Sep 28th, 06, 07:33 AM
Senior Tech

Anyone remember cutting off the belt loops on their levis and folding them over? Or wearing their belt with the buckle off to the side? Or UNO bars for 3 cents and twinkies for 10 or burger, fries and a shake for 50 cents. How about the plastic ball that went on top of a coke or RC cola that held a scoop of ice cream? I can still remember sitting on the floor watching Ed Sullivan on Sunday night at 8:00 watching the Beatles, Rolling Stones but damned if i can remember where i put my coffee cup this morning......
Old Sep 28th, 06, 08:03 AM
Senior Tech

Dave

How about having to go to the Milk store to pick up 4 quarts in a wire carrier and getting the bottles with the paper caps and having to pour the cream off the top before you used the milk?

I forget about having to have coke or Pepsi with peanuts. Still do that once in a while.

Last edited by Black69; Sep 28th, 06 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Added comment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement