GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

Old Jan 20th, 07, 11:38 AM
Senior Tech

Default Proportioning valve "fix"???

Trying hard not to scream today ... I bought a proportioning valve from Eckler for my 77 Type LT. Some of you may have read my 2nd gen Stopping Issues post a couple of weeks ago .... Anyway, I install the valve and my son and I are bleeding the system. While doing driver side front, I notice "something" dripping to the ground. I rechecked all of the line fittings on the new valve and then I notice moisture at the small rubber boot on the end by the front brake lines. Removing the rubber cap, I realize that this part of the valve actually screws in, so I get a 6 pt 7/16 box end and try to be delicate, but make sure that the valve is screwed in tight ... No good ... It continues to leak under pressure. I guess I can call Eckler's on Monday and see about getting a replacement, but I really hate to take the whole valve out unless absolutely necessary. Since this metering end appears to screw out, can a thread sealant be used? Once again, this is the metering end where the 2 front lines attach. The 2 front lines are not leaking. What is leaking is end that contains the needle or pin that you will see move in and out as valve operates. The piece screws end, so, can I use thread sealant on a piece sealing brake fluid rather than water or oil? Thanks in advance for any suggestions ... Steven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 20th, 07, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Proportioning valve "fix"???

With the pressures you're looking at and being a major safety item, get the part replaced, I doubt the sealant would hold.
11.327 @ 116.79.
Best to Date....
RedЯum <-Pics
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of8WV...ature=youtu.be <~More here
Old Jan 20th, 07, 09:18 PM

David Pozzi

Most likely it has an O ring inside to seal it. No brake valve has just thread sealer on threads. I'd unscrew it and see.
Also carefully check the seal on the button, that is the usual source for leaks.
David
Old Jan 20th, 07, 10:08 PM
Senior Tech

If Eckler's is using an aftermarket valve assembly instead of a GM/Delco, just get your money back if possible. You're not the first to have problems with the metering button leaking or sticking. You can get the GM valve for about the same price.

Here's a pic of a GM valve. There are 2 rubber seals. They look like square-cut seals, but I didn't remove them. It also has a teflon ring.

The delco/gm valve will have stamping #s on it. Yours will probably end in '9419' like this one. The aftermarket may be blank or say 'made in usa'.
Old Jan 21st, 07, 08:53 AM
Senior Tech

Yeah guys, thanks for the advise. I think I will call Eckler's Monday and arrange a return and go ahead and get the GM valve. My initial post was my frustration speaking. Sometimes it pays to walk away and come back later... I just hate setting aside time to try to do it right and still have to do it over again. Obviously this is the wrong hobby for once and done ... Thanks again ... Steven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement