GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Performance Our High Performance area

Old Jan 21st, 07, 10:54 AM
Team Member

Default Opinions on 327 build-up

Calling all 327 fans.................May I ask your opinion?

I have a 67 RS 327 convertible Camaro that I am building. As for the drivetrain, I have the Tremek 5 speed with 3:36 posi diff.

I have a question or two before I put the engine together. I am looking for something to cruise on the weekends in. I want to keep the original engine, a numbers matching 327. Should have a sweet, low exhaust note (Z06 Corvette style), decent low end torque, 330 - 350 hp and above all be fun to drive. Smooth throttle response is important. Being a convertible, I am not interested in building a race engine or one with lots of attitude. (I have a 67 RS coupe for that!)

So here is a question or two..

What heads
What Cam
What induction system (willing to look at EFI)
What exhaust system

Other thoughts:
I like aluminum heads and have the Edelbrock Performer RPM 2.02'' Intake heads on my other 327 car with a 670 holley. I am wondering if I would be better off with 1.95" intakes for better intake velocity and drivability or stick with the 2.02s. Also, with a 64 cc combustion chamber I have 9.7:1 compression. Controlling squish to about .45" and aluminum heads gives me great detonation protection. Do you recommend finding a smaller combustion chamber head to increase compression?

I doubt if I will be winding this past 6500 rpm or so. (power all in by 6,000 RPM would work) What RPM do you think balancing the rotating assembly and rebuilding the stock 67 rods (looks like forged) be reliable to?

Thanks for your consideration.
67 RS Convertible Camaro Restification completed August 2009. All original with updated drivetrain -Marina Blue exterior 327 with Proflo2 EFI Tremek 5 speed. Paint and Body by Lanzinis Bodyworks of Huntington Beach. Great fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 21st, 07, 11:38 AM
Senior Tech

Dave

Default Re: Opinions on 327 build-up

If you have an all numbers matching engine for the car pull it, bag it and tag it as such. Buy a 350 (330 horse or so) HEI equipped crate engine and paint it orange. Install a set of seven rib valve covers and an open element air cleaner with a 275 horse 327 fire power decal and enjoy cruising without a worry.

Larger Dave
Old Jan 21st, 07, 12:58 PM
Senior Tech

I agree with Dave, thats what I did. The orginial 327 is in the garage under a tarp.

67 Camaro with 388 with Edleborck RPM heads, Air Gap, CC 282S, Tremec TKO
Old Jan 22nd, 07, 08:56 AM
Senior Tech

Anthony

I would run flat top pistons, vortec heads and a voodoo 262 cam, performer/peformer rpm intake and a 600cfm carb. should be a decent cruiser.
Old Jan 22nd, 07, 10:36 AM
Banned

How you coming Bill?

pdq67
Old Jan 22nd, 07, 11:53 AM
Senior Tech

Dave

I agree with Big Dave's suggestion. Why mess with the original engine? By the time you add aluminum heads, roller cam, machine work, balancing, etc, etc; the dollars will have added way up and your original engine will no longer be "original". You'll be better off with crate engine, especially since you say you're looking for cruiser, not custom race engine.

-
Old Jan 22nd, 07, 12:48 PM
Senior Tech

Mike

Question, what good is the #'s matching engine if you're not gonna put it in the car? Other than the obvious (sell-value) it doesn't make sense not to put the original engine back in the car. Sitting in storage doesn't make sense to me.

1976 Cosworth Vega #2911 (my daily driver)
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/559690016ppUMgb
Old Jan 22nd, 07, 01:10 PM
Senior Tech

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green RS View Post
Question, what good is the #'s matching engine if you're not gonna put it in the car? Other than the obvious (sell-value) it doesn't make sense not to put the original engine back in the car. Sitting in storage doesn't make sense to me.
Well, let's say you wanted 500hp and 550ft/lbs. It would be real hard (and expensive) to accomplish that with the original 327 engine, plus you'd ruin the "original" engine. However, those power levels would be real easy with a relatively inexpensive crate 502, and you'd probably save some money too.

And then you would still have the original engine, all wrapped up, ready to be re-installed in case you sold the car to some purist. Lots of those (purists) out there today, as witnessed by the insane values at the recent Barret-Jackson car auction. Most of the big prices seemed to be for original, documented cars. Resto-mods with mix & match engines didn't bring in as big dollars as the all-original cars.

-
Old Jan 22nd, 07, 02:50 PM
Senior Tech

Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
Well, let's say you wanted 500hp and 550ft/lbs. It would be real hard (and expensive) to accomplish that with the original 327 engine, plus you'd ruin the "original" engine. However, those power levels would be real easy with a relatively inexpensive crate 502, and you'd probably save some money too.

And then you would still have the original engine, all wrapped up, ready to be re-installed in case you sold the car to some purist. Lots of those (purists) out there today, as witnessed by the insane values at the recent Barret-Jackson car auction. Most of the big prices seemed to be for original, documented cars. Resto-mods with mix & match engines didn't bring in as big dollars as the all-original cars.

-
And lets further say that something was not quite right with the 327 build and you "Cannon" a rod right out the side of your #'s matching block...well you no longer have a #'s matching anything! I agree with the crate motor thing,I built my car like I wanted to and kept every oringinal part,cleaned them up,labeled them and all are in plastic storage containers if they'll fit or otherwise protected so if I or anyone ever wants to put it back original,they can...who knows all originals may be worth a million bucks soon the way things are going!
Old Jan 26th, 07, 09:21 PM
Team Member

Thanks for the advice. Your points are well taken and have given me something to think about. As for original parts, I have kept all parts in a safe place for my car, but feel that the original engine should be the one powering it. I will not be abusing it, just having a good time. As for power, being a convertible I will keep it modest.

Thanks
67 RS Convertible Camaro Restification completed August 2009. All original with updated drivetrain -Marina Blue exterior 327 with Proflo2 EFI Tremek 5 speed. Paint and Body by Lanzinis Bodyworks of Huntington Beach. Great fun!
Old Jan 27th, 07, 04:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bergen View Post
Thanks for the advice. Your points are well taken and have given me something to think about. As for original parts, I have kept all parts in a safe place for my car, but feel that the original engine should be the one powering it. I will not be abusing it, just having a good time. As for power, being a convertible I will keep it modest.

Thanks
I agree with you, Bill. My 68 vert's original 327 block still lives between her fenders, currently displacing 383 cubic inches and putting out about 400 hp, 500 ft-lbs, everything new except the block itself.

I like my #'s matching 383...

Jimragtop.com New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Old Jan 27th, 07, 04:51 AM
Senior Tech

LOL @ JimM.

One thing about message boards is that eveyone assumes that anyone asking questions is looking for 400-500 hp. In fact, many people like a hassle free, smooth idle and good mpg for thier fun-to-drive "cruiser". 300hp generally gets the job done. In that case, there is absolutely nothing wrong with building a 327.

Bill Bergen... go to the engine section and look at the post from Brian Lewis. He has built a basic 9.5:1 327 w/ an XE256 cam. Should be about perfect for what it sounds like you are wanting.
Old Jan 27th, 07, 05:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Jim

lol @ John...

My #'s matching 400 hp 383 does have a fairly smooth idle, and nearly all of those 500 ft-lbs available at 2000 rpm!

You're very right tho. There are a # of ways to build a bunch of different flavors of nice running 327, done one way they can and will deliver all the grunt a daily driver really needs, and done another they can rev to the moon and leave with the front wheels in the air.

Jimragtop.com New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Old Jan 27th, 07, 06:48 PM
Senior Tech

Jim... I have no doubt that your 383 is a great driver, but 6" rods, etc cost a lot more than having an OEM 327 crank cut .010" and buying some pistons.

The low dollar rebuild can get the job done for folks who don't want 400 hp.
Old Jan 27th, 07, 07:11 PM
Banned

Thumbs up Re: Opinions on 327 build-up

Here's what Brian PM'd back to me..

"XE256H : 387/388 torque at 3500/4000, 348 hp at 5000
2500 cruise rpm = 372torque/177hp

Clevite : 388 torque at 4000, 345 hp at 5000
2500 cruise rpm = 363torque/173hp

Looks like the XE256H beats it just just a hair, while maintaining 256/212/262/218 lower duration.

I'll email you the graphs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq67
Hi Brian,

Would you please run the little Clevite cam here;

Clevite PN 229-1998; 258/219/270/229, 114/110, .456"/.479", and lash at .022" and .022".

through D2k using your engine combination b/c I'm really interested in how it would do against the CC XE256 hy-cam.

And get back to me when you have time.

Tyhanks,

Paul, (aka, pdq67)"

Bill, Brian has a dandy little motor, imho!!

pdq67
Sponsored Links
Advertisement