lifter preload????? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 00, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

OK guys. I have adjusted my valves every different way I can think of, and I can't decide how much preload is best. I have one person telling me 1/4 past zero, and another saying a full turn. Now this is a stock motor, with full roller rockers. I am going to be buying a new vortec 350 crate engine, and changing the stock-stamped rockers for some self aligning roller tipped rockers. Most books I've read say 3/4 turn or a full turn. I need some opinions on this subject. I know the more preload the less lift there is at the valve. Is 1/4 turn not enough? I don't want to have to adjust my valves every 6 months or even every year. I also don't want to tight of an adjustment... Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 00, 02:03 PM
Bill

Joke,
The factory spec is 1 turn. If you plan on turning the motor very high rpm, it is best to stay as close to "0" lash as possible, maybe 1/8 turn. The reason for this is if the lifters start to "pump up" at high rpm's they can only hold the valves open a slight bit. Your 1/4 turn is a good compromise and will work fine 90% of the time. If you dont plan to really rev the motor than tighten it up anothe 1/4 turn and you should never have to touch them.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 00, 05:25 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Send a message via AIM to sixtsevnssrs
Question

I know that the specs call for 1/4 to 1/2 past zero. Is that just for a stock motor? I also know that on my motor (327 .030 over, Edelbrock Performer RPM heads-cam-intake-750 cfm carb, gear drive, crane roller tipped rockers) If I try to go past zero lash the engine will not start (no compression because the valves have started to open) I adjusted the rockers so the push rod just starts to turn. Its the only way it will run, 1/4 past and it turns the motor with no compression. Yes they are hydrolic lifters, not mechanical or rollers.
Also my timing is about 24-26 degrees btdc According to my harmonic balancer, mark points straight upand at least an inch from the timing tab. Ignition is a stock points type distributer converted to electronic with Cranes XR700 conversion kit, Crane HI 6 Capacitive discharge module and the PS-91 coil. Crane Fire wires and Autolite spark plugs.
Now if I remember correctly the book that I got with the heads and the cam did mention that lifter preload was not required. Any thoughts or comments about either would be welcome. Is it possible that I have the wrong Balancer? The gear drive is of course Edelbrock Accu-Drive and is "noisey" Sounds great!!!

------------------
Tim
67 ss/rs, MODIFIED
http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/speedway/6792
IM - sixtsevnss

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 00, 11:20 AM
Tech Team

I always go 1/4 turn past 0. Make sure cam lobe is on the bottom of the base circle when you do this to do it right, and you will not have a problem with valves starting to open. If you want more info on adjusting the valves, email me.

------------------
66/70 chevelle ss396's
69/71 camaros
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode