HEI Distributor - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old May 18th, 00, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Will a hei distributor fit on a 69 camaro? Someone told me a person would have to dent the firewall in order to get one in. Has anyone heard or used the Ignitor by pertronix? I want to put a 383 in my car but i dont want to use points. I would like to find out what has worked on other peoples car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old May 18th, 00, 01:27 PM
Tech Team

we did it, but we had to "adjust" the firewall. I've heard it can work without it too. we had the distributer in the engine when we put it in the car, it wasnt a swap.

------------------
Joel
1969 Z28
LeMans Blue-White Stripes
#'s matching, P-O-P
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old May 18th, 00, 02:29 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

I have a 383 and converted to the pertronix. It doesn't have any real increase in power but it is nice not to have to adjust points and still retain a stock look. I have only put around 300 miles on it so far, but no problem.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old May 18th, 00, 04:00 PM
Tech Team

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gam8788:
Will a hei distributor fit on a 69 camaro? Someone told me a person would have to dent the firewall in order to get one in. Has anyone heard or used the Ignitor by pertronix? I want to put a 383 in my car but i dont want to use points. I would like to find out what has worked on other peoples car.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
put a pertronix in place of points in my 67 327 put on 4k with no problems.

------------------
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old May 18th, 00, 04:20 PM
Senior Tech

I have a 350 SB in RS/SS with HEI Dist.I didn't have to make any mods to the fire wall, but is a tight fit.

------------------
NOTHING LIKE A 69 !!!!!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old May 18th, 00, 07:29 PM
Senior Tech

i put a small body hei - stock point dist. converted to a hei module that uses an external coil in my 396. you can hardly tell it from the stock dist., the only dif is the hei module is mounted under the dist. plate on the pass. side and you really have to look to see it. these are all build to order. unless he has one in stock, you will have to supply the core. i ordered mine when he was very busy and turn around time was 4-6 weeks. may be better now.
Dave Ray
DAVE's small-body HEI.s
11605 Waddell street
Whittier, California, 90606
(562) 699-6949
(562) 695-9199 (Fax)
[email protected]
be sure i tell him i sent you.
p.s. you may catch him on this board. car seemed to run well before i installed it, i didn't notice a vast power increase. i did jump from 10 mpg to 13 1/2 with the new plugs, dist. and reset the timing.

------------------
To see a pic of my car, click here... pages.prodigy.net/mtbmtb/rf396ss.jpg
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old May 18th, 00, 08:45 PM
David Pozzi

Mike, did you change the coil to go with the HEI?
I remember somewhere reading that the HEI system uses a different coil, electrically. It has a different resistance or something. I would think if you installed a HEI module you would need to run the external coil used in the TPI engines. and later TBI engines that used the small distributor.
David

------------------
The older I get, the faster I was!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old May 19th, 00, 06:44 AM
Senior Tech

You should use either an MSD Blaster II or Accel Super-Stock round coil with ALL HEIs, small or big body. The stock, and even performance in-cap coils are the worst thing an HEI has.

MSD makes a coil cover that allows the coil to be moved out of the cap. This lowers the undercap temps 40 to 50 dergrees, gives an oil filled coil, instead of the seriously inferior epoxy filled coils.

All the HEI people who insist on keeping the coil in the cap don't tell you that the amount of voltage output GOES DOWN with the heat the coil produces within itself when it gets hot. Even the highly touted 50,000 volt coils, that never did or will make that kind of voltage-even cold, will drop even more performance voltage off when they get hot.

This is the main reason I do not work on, and will never build a coil-in-cap small HEI. All my systems require a remote from the cap coil mounting, it is just the best, and only way to do it.

Point design stock coils have the wrong windings turns ratios to work with an HEI, or to work without a ballast resistor.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old May 19th, 00, 04:26 PM
Senior Tech

what he said. i already had a MSD Blaster II coil with a 6al box (unhooked) when i bought the car. i didn't really see a great improvement, no seat of the pants anyway, when i hooked up the 6al and my tach wouldn't work. so instead of getting a msd type dist (which IgnitionMan also makes) and buying a $45 tach adaptor, i sold the box and bought the hei. Dave (IgnitionMan), do get a % for all these plugs?(LOL)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old May 20th, 00, 03:04 AM

I just installed a HEI on my 69 yesterday with no problem. The wire from the old distruibter will only have about 5 to 6 volts in the starting positionm so that wire should not be used to go to the HEI. We ran a 12 guage wire from the fuse box marked ING to the HEI to get the 12 volts required for the HEI. It is better as far as spark and helping not to fowl the plugs. Hope that helps, The Camaro Guy, Bruce

------------------
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old May 20th, 00, 02:55 PM
David Pozzi

I have a friend running a 6AL and his tach works fine. (69 Z/28) There is a plug for the tach on the side of the 6AL, I'm not shure if he used it, or left it on the distributor.
David

------------------
The older I get, the faster I was!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old May 20th, 00, 06:41 PM
Senior Tech

i tryed the plug, a direct hook up to the neg. side of the coil and a few other things. for some reason my tach just wouldn't work with it without an adaptor. (never bought one, so i'm not sure if would of worked with one). i also had to install a resistor at the voltage regulator to make it shut off when i cut the key off. (msd did ship me one free when i couldn't find it locally). not sure if it was just sometime about my stock voltage regulator or not that kept the tach from working. i posted ?'s here and it seemed most people didn't have this problem. with a new msd bullit dist. and adaptor i was looking at somewhere around $250 to keep the box. instead i sold the box and ended paying about $45 for the difference to get the hei. with the extra 3.5 mpg and think i may have already made that back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode