Performance Heads Help - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 00, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Help. I think I may have gotten ripped off by a company called Performance Chevy out of Arizona. I was looking for a good stock head to replace my current 462 heads in my 67 w/327 and produce a little more power. These guys talked me into a ported version of these heads 854434 F12 78 GM 21T markings. I was just reading in a book by David Vizard that these head will produce 20-30 hp less than the ones I have. Can anyone confirm this, and what are your opinions on the heads they sold me. My current opinion is I got taken by a company which claims to know what they are talking about but are in the buisness of ripping off people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 00, 03:45 PM
Bill

Rick,
The only way to verify the true performance is to put the heads on the motor and see if it runs better. Almost any head can be made to perform quite well if you do enough work to it. The flow bench and the dyno will tell the truth. If the ported 434's flow better than your 462's, all else being equal, the 434s should make more power. I am at home so I cannot look in my books, but the only other thing to watch is what the combustion chamber size is. If the 434's are much larger than your 462's then you will be dropping your compression ratio and power will also drop.
I don't have a clue what you paid for the heads, but in my opinion, and this goes completely against any business sense as I own a machine shop, anyone that spends any money to modify a stock GM head for performance use has not done his homework. There are so many aftermarket heads available for such low prices, that it makes no sense to use a GM head on anything but a stock vehicle, restoration, or a race class in which the rules say "stock GM heads only". This is the advice that I give my customers even though I can make a lot more money modifying thier heads than I can by selling them new ones.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 00, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Bill,

Thanks for the info. You reafirmed what I thought I new before I went looking for new heads. The reason I think I got ripped off is, I was looking to buy a good aftermarket head or maybe a vortec and these guys convinced me for $500 the GM heads would be better than anything I could get for $500 elseware. I though I had done my home work but it looks like I may have been overtaken by a fast talking guy looking to make money and not care for the customer. If anyone else has an opinion on these heads I would like to hear it.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 00, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Just to clarify one thing. When I said, good stock head in my first post, what I meant was a good stock repacement which would not require any modifications to my current setup. Like I found out vortecs would.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode