Horns?? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 19th, 00, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
roy

Hello,

I am trying to find the correct horns for my 67 Camaro, and I am not sure what notes were used in these cars. I had a "G" & an "H" on the car, though I have no confidence level that they were neccessarily correct for this car. Since Delco replacements are completely different and made in France, I need to try to locate a used original style. I think that all GM vehicles used the same style horn for quite a few years. My question is:

a) Can anyone tell me what notes were in the cars originally, and

b) What other years may have used the same style horns?

e mailto:[email protected]

Thanks

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 20th, 00, 06:39 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Im not sure about the interchangeability of horns, but I do know that the date codes are on the back side on the right, and its read year-month-week(ie: 6F2, 1966,June,2nd week). The months are from A to L and of course 1 thru 4 on the weeks.

------------------
67 Camaro SS Conv.
70 Challenger R/T Conv.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 00, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
roy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ragtopman:
Im not sure about the interchangeability of horns, but I do know that the date codes are on the back side on the right, and its read year-month-week(ie: 6F2, 1966,June,2nd week). The months are from A to L and of course 1 thru 4 on the weeks.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks, that's good to know.

I went to the body shop and stole the horns off my 69 chevelle, and I realized that the one horn has no letter stamped in the circle above the "Delco-Remy" lettering and the other has the letter "H". I think that I was incorrect about this being the note of the horn. I suspect that what this measn is that the non-stamped horn is the standard and the "H" in the "High" note. Can anyone confirm or deny??

Thanks

------------------
Roy

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 24th, 00, 10:47 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

Roy,

The horns should be stamped "H" for high note and "L" for low note. However, I have seen horns without an "H" or "L" cast on them.

I think any Chevy horn would work, BUT, from my poking around, the mounting arms are different for each model. If you look on your horn, the arm is welded on, so it can't be changed.

So, if you can live with the fact that the horn isn't for your specific model, you will at least have the correct sound.

I currently have replacement horns and have bee scrounging around for some OEM ones in good condition.

------------------
Hugger Orange & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 4/5/00 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 27th, 00, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
roy

Thanks

I have called Chicago Muscle Car, in Island Lake, IL. I used to live near there and am familiar with them. They have quite a few used horns. Some are operable and some aren't. They wanted $30.00 for the inop ones, or $50.00 for working ones. They are in the mail. We'll see what they look like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode