Getting rid of A/C Box on Firewall - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 20th, 00, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I am planning on putting a 383 Stroker into my 1969 Camaro in two weeks. I want to remove the A/C Box from the firewall to give myself some more room and allow the installation of headers. Someone told me to just pull the old ac box and cover the opening with a panel. I would still like for my heater and defrosater to work after I am done.

Is it really that easy? Where do the heater hoses connect? Where is the blower motor located and will this effect its operation?

Thanks for ther help.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 20th, 00, 11:17 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

There are headers that fit but are limited to 1 5/8" diameter. There has been much discussion on this topic in the past.

You can delete the A/C box but it will require quite a bit of fabrication. All cabin ventilation runs through the fan and A/C evaporator. In order to maintain the proper airflow you would need to cut the box just downstream of the fan and make ductwork similar to non-a/c heater boxes on the engine side. A/C and non A/C cars do not share similar firewalls. I don't know if it is practical to fit non-A/C parts in since much fabrication would be required. Fan access on both cars requires RH fender removal.

Probably the best solution is a Vintage Air A/C system. For a $1000 you can eliminate the factory evaporator box so you can fit as large a header as you wish. Several members have done this swap and hopefully they can comment.

------------------
Click here to see see my car and hear 5-speeds. http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 20th, 00, 09:07 PM
Senior Tech
John

I had an AC car once where the previous owner yanked the ac box in favor of headers. Because of the duct work, as mentioned before, Outside air circulating into the car will go right through the heater core. It's like driving your car with the heater on all the time! there is a vacuum operated shut off valve on the right fender well that keeps coolant out of the heater core when the heater is off. There was so much stuff missing from that car that I never was able to get it to work right.. Hope you have better luck.
John
69Z/28 (It don't have AC!)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 21st, 00, 03:27 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

John,
67-8 did not have the valve. Hence, coolant circulates through the heater core at all times. If the heater box is lacking in the sealing dept. hot air will continually pump out.

------------------
Click here to see see my car and hear 5-speeds. http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 21st, 00, 06:07 PM
Tech Team

I have a question? My 69 coupe was a non factory a/c car, when I had it built they used factory a/c parts. I have since replaced the 6 with a 350. Getting to the plugs is a pain. Carl had mentioned the firewalls being different. I was planning on removing the box and putting on a SB heater box cover and getting rid of the a/c will this be a direct bolt in? Thanx, Sean.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 00, 06:38 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

It will depend on how many firewall mods they made. To do it right they should have pluged the non-AC heater core hose attachment holes and made the hole for the air passage taller/narrower. Maybe you will get lucky. The #6 and #8 plugs are no fun if you have manifolds and straight plugs. Headers and angled plugs actually make the job easier on AC cars.

------------------
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 00, 07:30 AM

I don't know how similar the two are, but I just converted my 1971 pickup to a simple heater system. I found a junk doner for the firewall box, ductwork, and controls. I would think with the number of people converting to AC you would be able to do the same. The hole in the firewall was too big and I had to weld in a patch panel. I also had to fill some of the mounting holes. Instead of drilling new mounting holes, I welded in mounting studs which made installing easier. The wiring changes are very simple. The whole installation process took about an afternoon not including cleaning and painting the doner. It works and looks great. Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode